Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix A800FX Front Wheel Drive Touring Car >

Awesomatix A800FX Front Wheel Drive Touring Car

Like Tree232Likes

Awesomatix A800FX Front Wheel Drive Touring Car

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-16-2019, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Awesomatix A800FX Front Wheel Drive Touring Car
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hanulec
placeholder

Print Wikipost

Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 AM
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by !Mad Max! View Post
The FWD Bodyshells in combination with the spoke wheels looking so good ! Will be a big optical difference on the track compared to the dish wheel touring cars with the ultra high downforce bodyshells.
Getting closer folks! :-)
Hi Max
Any more improvement since the last time you posted the pic?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, did more track tests of the final version :-)
Very good results and tests. Even better than my prototypes which were already amazing on track.

Looking forward to show you soon more of this "piece of art"
NutDriver likes this.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:47 AM
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by !Mad Max! View Post
Yes, did more track tests of the final version :-)
Very good results and tests. Even better than my prototypes which were already amazing on track.

Looking forward to show you soon more of this "piece of art"
Sound great news..
I saw a video on Face Book is the car?

Can't wait
Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

I wonder if these people who made this car understands why current FWD Touring cars are much more easy and fun to drive for the average skilled RC drivers than 4wd TC? Motor in front and battery towards the rear axle makes a car that is easy to drive for most drivers even on tracks that have quite low traction. Compared to 4wd TC that need perfect condition and alot of traction to be fun to drive.
We already have extreme racing cars with all weight concentrated to the middle of the car in 4WD TC, skilled drivers can drive these kind of extreme cars on race prepared tracks. FWD TC should be something different. Easy and fun to drive for all levels of driver skill and on tracks that are far from perfect surface condition.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your post is just wrong. A TT02 is a beginner car, very easy to drive, and it is 4wd.
This upcoming fwd is a high performance car and therefore sensible to setup changes.
Any fwd car I know is easy to drive because of its fwd. Even my Xray T4 without rear belt
and my own middle motor fwd are easy to drive. So you can expect the Awesomatix fwd to be
forgiving too, but with a lot more speed and track adjustability. The low cog will also help a
lot of („average“) drivers.
Nicadrauspro4 and Oleg Babich like this.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Like wtcc already wrote, a FWD drive this way (easy, forgiving, always pushing, good handling for all levels of driver skills) because only the front wheels are driven.
Also its logicall that a FWD car need a lot of weight at the front axle to be able to get down the power, and all this weight makes the car handle like mentioned above.
It's just no matter if you have the Motor in "in front of the axle" or weight which is about the same as a motor.
A car do not differ in this matter. Weight is weight (yes, in the end a motor is only weight when it comes to car balance).

The Awesomatix car has about the same front/rear balance like any other FWD car (anyway the balance is in wide range adjustable by moving weights).
All in All, the front driven tires lead to all this same "characteristics" of all FWD cars, which provide so much fun and close racing on the track.

So i wonder if this is to complexe to understand, or if just nobody ever tought about it in technically way
Oleg Babich and yxiaocheng like this.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

I am not 100% agree with you... yes Awesomatix fwd can have the same '' caracteristics '' but if you dont have the motor in front of the axle and you dont have 70/30 or 65/35 in weight distribution you have a major advantage in corner speed like you see in the video ! for me when you have a fwd rc car and you dont have the motor at the front you have a cheater car because of the corner speed advantage ! the awesomatix prototype dominate the german FWD league in europe and alot of people don't like that.. if awesomatix want build a FF FWD chassi they just to do the job correctly and do like each other do before and see if they will be the fastest again !!
pat5b likes this.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I think what Quinny45 is getting at, is that if you make a FWD car where all the components (Motor, Servo, ESC, Receiver and Battery) are between the front and the rear Shock Tower, it is not the same per se as with a vehicle that runs the Motor FWD of the front shock tower and all other components are between the towers. And with that the handling between the two will be different, regardless if they are both "FWD" Designs! Even changing weights around, no one would add weight to compensate for the lack of an actual Front Mounted Motor...
pat5b likes this.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have tested alot of FWD and 4WD TC with different layouts during the years. A example a 4wd TC car with a Tamiya TA06 style layout is easier to drive than a Tamiya TRF419 layout but it is not as fast for a skilled driver.

To explain what I think about the about the motor position in FWDs with this practical example. If you take a 1 kg water bottle and try to turn it through a 180 degree turn in the air with your hand. Then you take a 1 meter long bar with a 0,5 kg bottle at both ends of the bar and try to turn that through the same corner. It will feel completely different although the total weight is the same and the weight distribution is 50/50% in both examples. The 1 m bar is a lot slower to turn with more stability. Slowness in reactions and stability is what average drivers need.

Thats why a fwd with the motor in the front is more predictable, have slower reactions and is less sensitive to traction level of the track surface. This is what average drivers need. Not cars with aggressive turn in. Sad that some people only understand RC racing as top level racing for skilled drivers on tracks that have to be in perfect condition. This is not the reality for the most people enjoining racing FWD cars. Hope some rules will be put in place so that FWD is kept the way it should be and be different and look different compared to 4WD TC.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
I think what Quinny45 is getting at, is that if you make a FWD car where all the components (Motor, Servo, ESC, Receiver and Battery) are between the front and the rear Shock Tower, it is not the same per se as with a vehicle that runs the Motor FWD of the front shock tower and all other components are between the towers. And with that the handling between the two will be different, regardless if they are both "FWD" Designs! Even changing weights around, no one would add weight to compensate for the lack of an actual Front Mounted Motor...
what is a shock tower?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:51 AM
Tech Adept

Below is the balance of the A800FX equiped with electronics and kit weights.
As mentioned before, a FWD car need the weigth in front to work, this is not discussable.
The good working balance for any FWD car on any grip levle is between 70/30 and 60/40.
So your points about the balance and advantage during different balance is not correct and also do not match the Awesomatix.
If you would have read the comments before you already would have noticed that this car has same balance front/rear as all other FWD cars existing.

It doesn't mean, because others were not able to design something with same balance but different design, that it's impossible.
The choice of materials and other ways of designing offer different ways to get the same results.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quinny45 View Post
I am not 100% agree with you... yes Awesomatix fwd can have the same '' caracteristics '' but if you dont have the motor in front of the axle and you dont have 70/30 or 65/35 in weight distribution you have a major advantage in corner speed like you see in the video ! for me when you have a fwd rc car and you dont have the motor at the front you have a cheater car because of the corner speed advantage ! the awesomatix prototype dominate the german FWD league in europe and alot of people don't like that.. if awesomatix want build a FF FWD chassi they just to do the job correctly and do like each other do before and see if they will be the fastest again !!
To my ears it sounds ridiculous to blame AMX for building a better car than all the others. They simply put in some more effort and better ideas than most of the others and that is exactly the way you have to do it if you want to be top.
As I see things there are enough classes where average drivers easily can compete on their level simply using a 4WD touring car with limited motor power.

Regards,

Andy
Old 06-21-2019, 05:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

All of the prior fwd TC chassis were basically a 2wd buggy gear box mounted to the front of a chassis. It's time to innovate boys and girls....
Bgilli26 and yxiaocheng like this.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
All of the prior fwd TC chassis were basically a 2wd buggy gear box mounted to the front of a chassis. It's time to innovate boys and girls....
agreed basically do a mid motor car no rear belt but move the motor mount a little more forward and a shorty pack on the right
hanulec and !Mad Max! like this.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quinny45 View Post
Our FWD car has exactly the same F/R weight distribution as the current FWD RC top level cars with motor on front bumper.So it handles similar in terms of "easy to drive and fun to drive for the average skilled RC drivers".
We had two possibility to get this weight distribution:
1. To place the motor (130...140 g of weight for modern stock motors) on front bumper and to place about the same piece of steel , brass or lead (130 g) right behind servo to reach the legal 1250 g weight.
2. The opposite - to place 130 g weight in bumper and to place the motor right behind servo.
We choose the second way that provides more simple transmission without intermediate axle, bearings and few others parts. It makes the car more affordable and more reliable and also more easy and cheaper at maintenance.
So I think that our FWD car will give even more "total FUN" compare to the current FWD cars with motors on bumper.

I suppose also that others brands will choose this layout very soon for their futures FWD cars as it makes the FWD cars better for drivers in many aspects.

Just one question for skeptics. Do you think that something else except of the weight distribution and the front wheel drive does make current FWD cars so easy and fan to drive? It is interesting to know the alternative explanations.
mr.preay, !Mad Max! and Bgilli26 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service