Like Tree416Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 11-27-2023, 05:34 PM
  #871  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,295
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

We will meet again! It was cool how we just all happened to meet under just the right circumstances.

Just need to infiltrate Tamiya and find out the source of the blue carpet.
Dan is offline  
Old 12-16-2023, 04:33 PM
  #872  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
The Big Wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: A.K.A. Barry White
Posts: 173
Default 📸🏆

Originally Posted by rccartips
M08s dominated the Tamiya World Championship here in Japan. The best qualifying M07 was only 9th on the grid. Lotus Europa and MX5.
Any pics of the winning cars?
EB Racer likes this.
The Big Wig is offline  
Old 12-16-2023, 10:03 PM
  #873  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 170
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman
When we decided to run Mini, I chose the 06 over my 08, due to the rear motor. I also had a lot more wheel time with 06 on asphalt versus the 08. The 3Racing speed gears also give it ability to have a lower FDR, to match the gearing flexibility of the Sakura MG / Xpress. So far it seems to be the right choice. Down the road, we will have to limit FDR to keep the 07/08 competitive.
Raman,

Check out part number O-AP0001 on RC Mart. Its a high speed gear set that fits the M07. I assume it works with the M08 which shares the same spur and counter gear. The only difference the M08 having the idler. The other benefit is the spur is 48 pitch, so you can ditch the .6 mod.

This gets the gearing very low, on my M07R the highest FDR you can achieve is 3.6. We run open 21.5t, my first run with this gear set i almost ended up in the timing table after overshooting the turn after the straight. The only downside is heat, especially during the summer here in San Diego with a track temp of 110+ deg. I dont even want to know what the track temp is out by you guys lol.

I've been following the 702 club since things kicked back off. Next time i visit my parents, ill bring a few cars and hope it lines up with a race. Looks like you guys are really picking up momentum.
Raman and CARD like this.
Techno Duck is offline  
Old 12-17-2023, 09:22 AM
  #874  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,335
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Raman,

Check out part number O-AP0001 on RC Mart. Its a high speed gear set that fits the M07. I assume it works with the M08 which shares the same spur and counter gear. The only difference the M08 having the idler. The other benefit is the spur is 48 pitch, so you can ditch the .6 mod.

This gets the gearing very low, on my M07R the highest FDR you can achieve is 3.6. We run open 21.5t, my first run with this gear set i almost ended up in the timing table after overshooting the turn after the straight. The only downside is heat, especially during the summer here in San Diego with a track temp of 110+ deg. I dont even want to know what the track temp is out by you guys lol.

I've been following the 702 club since things kicked back off. Next time i visit my parents, ill bring a few cars and hope it lines up with a race. Looks like you guys are really picking up momentum.
😉 Arrived yesterday!!! Will test out on both M06 and M08 and report back.


CARD, ruebiracer and jo_er86 like this.
Raman is offline  
Old 12-17-2023, 04:21 PM
  #875  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,560
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by The Big Wig
Any pics of the winning cars?
No pics. All I could see was the winning car pitched and rolled more than the others, soft suspension. Europa body (no wing).
By the rules, the M08 had a low profile/cg body advantage (Europa, Ghia, MX5) while M07 were limited to using hatchbacks (Yaris, Swift, Mazda2).
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya M-08-371239028_7260159757356853_6812669181325517429_n.png  
ruebiracer likes this.

Last edited by rccartips; 12-19-2023 at 03:33 AM.
rccartips is offline  
Old 12-18-2023, 09:17 PM
  #876  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,335
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rccartips
No pics. All I could see was the winning car pitched and rolled more than the others, soft suspension. Europa body (no wing).
By the rules, the M08 had a low profile/cg body advantage (Europa, Ghia, MX5) while M07 were limited to using hatchbacks (Yaris, Swift, Mazda2).
Another words, if the 1:1 was a rwd then it has to be on an M08 and if the 1:1 is a fwd, M07. TCS in US used to have this rule but it was relaxed.

Rules to be respected by those who drive manly 💪 cars 😉
Raman is offline  
Old 12-19-2023, 05:41 AM
  #877  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
DirkW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,551
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman
Another words, if the 1:1 was a rwd then it has to be on an M08 and if the 1:1 is a fwd, M07. TCS in US used to have this rule but it was relaxed.
No rule for that here either, unfortunately. Seeing a VW Bug or an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA on an FWD chassis during last weekend's M-Chassis race here, actually kinda hurt. I could never do that. But that race was open, not limited to Tamiya so there were also race truck bodies and in the 4WD class (!), some people even ran pure TC style bodies. While 2WD raced cheap hand-out brushed motors, 4WD raced 17.5T blinky. Needless to say, 4WD class simply looked more like a (albeit smaller scale) TC race than M-Chassis. Luckily that (abomination of a ) class only got half as many starters as 2WD did.
Anyway, I had loads of fun with my M-08R. I had my M-07R with me as an option as well (different body, of course! ), but decided to stick with the RWD on that carpet, even though I could not really get my setup straightened out enough to really feel happy with the car (it either pushed through corners - or it traction rolled. Never got it quite right...). But in general there's just something about M-Chassis racing... it's great fun.

Raman and ruebiracer like this.
DirkW is offline  
Old 12-19-2023, 11:46 AM
  #878  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,335
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DirkW
No rule for that here either, unfortunately. Seeing a VW Bug or an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA on an FWD chassis during last weekend's M-Chassis race here, actually kinda hurt. I could never do that. But that race was open, not limited to Tamiya so there were also race truck bodies and in the 4WD class (!), some people even ran pure TC style bodies. While 2WD raced cheap hand-out brushed motors, 4WD raced 17.5T blinky. Needless to say, 4WD class simply looked more like a (albeit smaller scale) TC race than M-Chassis. Luckily that (abomination of a ) class only got half as many starters as 2WD did.
Anyway, I had loads of fun with my M-08R. I had my M-07R with me as an option as well (different body, of course! ), but decided to stick with the RWD on that carpet, even though I could not really get my setup straightened out enough to really feel happy with the car (it either pushed through corners - or it traction rolled. Never got it quite right...). But in general there's just something about M-Chassis racing... it's great fun.
After many years we got M-Chassis off the ground and I didnít want to make it too strict to turn people away.. so at present there are plenty look alike M chassis bodies and one TC style. Iím sporting my Alpine 110.. and itís does really well.
Raman is offline  
Old 01-04-2024, 08:45 AM
  #879  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 232
Default

Can the #54787 aluminum rear arm mounts be used to change roll center?
Friulimotosport is offline  
Old 01-04-2024, 12:12 PM
  #880  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,295
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Yes, I have these also but haven't gotten enough time to play around and test with it.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-04-2024, 02:52 PM
  #881  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,295
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

My sweet new body for the M08.


Dan is offline  
Old 01-04-2024, 08:26 PM
  #882  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 117
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Looks Awesome Dan
Dan likes this.
Team Wenz is offline  
Old 01-04-2024, 08:33 PM
  #883  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 1,001
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I've got a M-08, new in box that I'd sell for $175 shipped if anyone is interested.
CTRJ is online now  
Old 01-05-2024, 07:18 AM
  #884  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (12)
 
Samich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 173
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

After a several year hiatus, I've picked up an M08r now that I have a track nearby. IIRC, the last time I raced (2016 TCS) I was using the 1016 pre-mounted radials. Along with the kit I picked up a set of 54999, a set of 54995, and the 54590 inner foams.

I haven't had to glue tires in a long time, but I just can't get the foams to sit nicely without the tire being lumpy nor can I get the tire bead to sit flush against the rim.

Should I be trimming the foam at all?
Samich is offline  
Old 01-05-2024, 07:32 AM
  #885  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 91
Default

That shell actually goes ok lol! Someone entered it for the concourse at a round of the Tamiya Iconic Cup here in the UK last year and as per the rules they had to then use the shell for at least one qualifier. You can see it around 30 seconds here and at 2:17. Not sure if there is any footage of it going. Oh yes skip to about 11:35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OvHFjQU6Io&t=612s
dlruk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.