Like Tree416Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 10-22-2023, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Today was one of my best races ever, and it was with my M08R!
Congrats! I also believe that the M08 is fastest with the LWB and Karmann body. If you don't mind sharing, what diff oil did you run? My last test I ran 200k, felt good, will test even thicker. Cheers!
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Today was one of my best races ever, and it was with my M08R! We had our fifth Mini championship race of the year, and it was on a big Indoor ETS carpet track. So it was all in and get out the M08 for this special conditions and very high grip level. We had 5 heats, and the 3rd on Saturday evening left me with 3 seconds behind the fastest guy with his M07 Miata, but 2 other Minis between him and me. But Sunday my pace came up, and to my own surprise I saw me taking the Pole in the last heat with a little droop tuning and hard inserts on the front S-Grips. 2 other M08R were my wingmen, but today I was lucky fastest one, although running LWB. Top guys in our class drive MWB to 90% to be more agile out of the box. My nerves were highy stressed with a lack of runtime this year, but I could win the A-final for the first time in my life with a RWD Mini. Car was dialed today, and very consistent over the run. It was pure fun, seeing me with 3 start to finish runs with no major mistakes.
Unfortunately but also luckywise I only have a bad Handy video from a friend showing the start in the second A-final. Behind me is the white M07 Miata and another green Yaris M07. From place 4 my friend Steffen is coming up right from the start with his white blue Lotus M08R. Hope you like it,
Keep on racing,
Matthias
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7c_Fo7WlJM
Fantastic job mein fruend. Well deserved.
Kwikvdub and ruebiracer like this.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Its interesting how everyone has a different take on the wheelbases. My first place and second place wins at TCS on black carpet were with short wheelbase, which provided me with ample steering on infield to combat those pesky fwd M07.

Past month, we have rebooted our m chassis class on asphalt and Ive been running the M06 SWB against Xpress, Sakura MG, M07. Im running the 3racing speed gears which keeps me competitive with the new cars. Last outing, I set TQ and finished 2nd and 3rd, all due to my own mistakes, hitting those damn dots!!! Last heat the traction was so high I started to traction roll. By the end of that last race, I had dialled back my dual rate from race start of 70 to 62! For next race, Im going to raise the front roll centre a bit.
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:51 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I have two M08 that are near fully loaded. One in medium and one in long wheelbase. They run pretty neck to neck in lap times. Nice advantage of the LWB is being able to mount a small ESC flat in between the servo and battery. The downside is the lack of a "low profile" lightweight version body for high traction carpet. The comparable times were despite using a regular penalty weight S13 and RX7 body. They were still quicker than the lightweight Yaris body. And the Yaris body sits a smidge lower than the Mazda 2 body.

The top 3 minis at nationals (relatively decent sized indoor black carpet track) were medium wheelbase M08 rocking the MX5 or Eunos roadster body. My assumption is that they were of the lightweight variety but I think they are both now discontinued.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:53 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

A pic from my mini testing.
rccartips and ruebiracer like this.
Old 10-23-2023, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dan
but I think they are both now discontinued.
Tamiya discontinuing bodies that are in high demand!! Shocking 🙀
Dan and ruebiracer like this.
Old 10-23-2023, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Yep...lightweight old school Eunos for me! my car was a tad overweight, about 20g or so.

Originally Posted by Dan
I have two M08 that are near fully loaded. One in medium and one in long wheelbase. They run pretty neck to neck in lap times. Nice advantage of the LWB is being able to mount a small ESC flat in between the servo and battery. The downside is the lack of a "low profile" lightweight version body for high traction carpet. The comparable times were despite using a regular penalty weight S13 and RX7 body. They were still quicker than the lightweight Yaris body. And the Yaris body sits a smidge lower than the Mazda 2 body.

The top 3 minis at nationals (relatively decent sized indoor black carpet track) were medium wheelbase M08 rocking the MX5 or Eunos roadster body. My assumption is that they were of the lightweight variety but I think they are both now discontinued.
Dan likes this.
Old 10-23-2023, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rccartips
Congrats! I also believe that the M08 is fastest with the LWB and Karmann body. If you don't mind sharing, what diff oil did you run? My last test I ran 200k, felt good, will test even thicker. Cheers!
Hey Joel, thank you very much!
Of course Ill share my setup with you and the guys, whereelse we can share our experiences to keep RWD Mini alive and kicking!
I went a little bit up with viscosity compared to the race last year, from 5k to 7k. My friend Steffen with the Lotus used 10k oil from Hudy, which felt actually not really stiffer than my 7k filling. Filling amount and brand still can make a difference, it seems. Funny thing is, Saturday evening, Steffen was clearly faster than me especially in the infield, and a 3rd M08R freshly bought from a youth fellow racer, was also faster. He only had the kit ball diff, but it worked well! That was something Id not have expected. So you run 200k?? Seems you need a Porsche 935 body! They used back then in the race cars a spool on the rear axle back then. Im not sure, I could drive this, but I actually never tried on a RWD car that high viscosity...
Still so much to test! But Ill post my updated setup sheet here soon! All the best for you, let us know when you are wheeling your M08 again!
Old 10-23-2023, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Raman
Its interesting how everyone has a different take on the wheelbases. My first place and second place wins at TCS on black carpet were with short wheelbase, which provided me with ample steering on infield to combat those pesky fwd M07.

Past month, we have rebooted our m chassis class on asphalt and Ive been running the M06 SWB against Xpress, Sakura MG, M07. Im running the 3racing speed gears which keeps me competitive with the new cars. Last outing, I set TQ and finished 2nd and 3rd, all due to my own mistakes, hitting those damn dots!!! Last heat the traction was so high I started to traction roll. By the end of that last race, I had dialled back my dual rate from race start of 70 to 62! For next race, Im going to raise the front roll centre a bit.
Hey my friend, cool with your new Mini class! And crazy, that you are still competitive against those other Mini creations with your trusty M06! If you have a setup to share for us... Im also still learning on setup of the RWD, and the M08 is really thankful and reacts well to changes. That makes me now thinking about my M06 on the shelf, too. Will have to give it a take with some new ideas on springs, diff, etc., too. And stil there is my std. hopped up M08, that I plan to convert to SWB with a Fiat Abarth 1000TCR body in the end. I need to try that on a black carpet track for training and some show.
Have fun with your M06,
Matthias
Guess youll maybe get the new Fiat Rallye body for your next showcar?
Old 10-23-2023, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

911esq body from Exotek. Seen it in person, looks pretty good.

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...asp?p_id=15489
Old 10-23-2023, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Dan, have you tried the Karmann? It is lower, wider by around 5mm, and shorter than the RX7. Wider
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

So you run 200k?? let us know when you are wheeling your M08 again!
I find the thicker diff makes the car very stable under hard braking, and pulls hard on exit. Over here we run lipo, 15.5T, and open gearing, soft diff gets left behind by M07s with 500k diffs

Last race I let my daughter wheel the M08
https://youtu.be/YOnvs6E6kTc?si=EvPn3FCIf2laMT5G
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Hey my friend, cool with your new Mini class! And crazy, that you are still competitive against those other Mini creations with your trusty M06! If you have a setup to share for us... Im also still learning on setup of the RWD, and the M08 is really thankful and reacts well to changes. That makes me now thinking about my M06 on the shelf, too. Will have to give it a take with some new ideas on springs, diff, etc., too. And stil there is my std. hopped up M08, that I plan to convert to SWB with a Fiat Abarth 1000TCR body in the end. I need to try that on a black carpet track for training and some show.
Have fun with your M06,
Matthias
Guess youll maybe get the new Fiat Rallye body for your next showcar?
When we decided to run Mini, I chose the 06 over my 08, due to the rear motor. I also had a lot more wheel time with 06 on asphalt versus the 08. The 3Racing speed gears also give it ability to have a lower FDR, to match the gearing flexibility of the Sakura MG / Xpress. So far it seems to be the right choice. Down the road, we will have to limit FDR to keep the 07/08 competitive.
ruebiracer likes this.

Last edited by Raman; 10-23-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Hi guys, as promised here my writeup from the weekend. Rear axle was setup with anti dive like last time. A blocks all on left side, B on right. That does not come clearly out of the sheet I had. front ground clearance I measure at the sides after the axle, from the front its a pain and looks higher because of the kickup.

Attached Files
rccartips and Raman like this.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rccartips
I find the thicker diff makes the car very stable under hard braking, and pulls hard on exit. Over here we run lipo, 15.5T, and open gearing, soft diff gets left behind by M07s with 500k diffs

Last race I let my daughter wheel the M08
https://youtu.be/YOnvs6E6kTc?si=EvPn3FCIf2laMT5G
Very cool Joel, so Porsha still knows how to drive a Tamiya! Great location in the mall, and excellent door to door Mini Racing! was the end result? Seems your closer to Europe Mini spec. with Lipo and 15,5t motor (guess its the Tamiya TBLE?). We also still run the 16t Brushless from Carson (Hobbywing) with a Zippy 4000 (which is part of the reglement to keep costs down). Will have to test your diff settings, too. Looks very good in your video, have to experience it myself.
Greets, Matthias
rccartips likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.