Like Tree416Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 01-26-2023, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by eddiebrown
i see that you are in Edmonton too . I just picked up a m08 kit and was wondering where you got the gear diff from ?
I had to make a Speical order at Great Hobbies to get the gear diff. its still on its way.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlruk
Picked up an M08 a while back having only ran M05 and M07 before. I bought it primarily to use at my main outdoor clubs championship as a new challenge as my M07 was basically unbeatable. Finally got round to testing the M08 at the weekend, on carpet so not the outdoor tarmac but putting that aside, wow......never driven a rwd m-chassis, was expecting to have a really loose rear end (ooer) but it was locked in. It would understeer but I need to add a lot of weight to get up to the class minimum so hopefully can improve the front end grip with some weight on the nose.

Braking was interesting, fine in a straight line but do it with a lot of steering and it would hook in. This was great for a tight indoor track however to get the nose in to the apex. No grip roll or anything. I ran the M07 before it on the day and it was all over the place there on the high grip.

The outdoor track is large with sweeping bends and bumpy so it may turn out to be a disaster there but it's something new to try plus it will be sat under the same 'fwd' shell so running stealth to start with and can swap to the M07 if required
i found the rear end really easy to spin out(loose). so i started with adjusting damper position and tamiya tire compound from S-Grips D60 radials to medium ones in the the rear and now the soft S-grips or on the front. and hope to do testing next time i am at the track.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

i see that you are in Edmonton too . I just picked up a m08 kit and was wondering where you got the gear diff from ?
What Track are you racing at? N.A.S.C.A.R. or one10raceways?
Old 01-27-2023, 02:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Schs2013
i found the rear end really easy to spin out(loose). so i started with adjusting damper position and tamiya tire compound from S-Grips D60 radials to medium ones in the the rear and now the soft S-grips or on the front. and hope to do testing next time i am at the track.
Probably want the softer ones on the rear if you are spinning out? My second outing with it wasn't quite as good, needs more front end grip and I lost the rear a couple of times so will now give it a proper going over before I use it again
Old 01-27-2023, 12:23 PM
Tech Initiate

What Track are you racing at? N.A.S.C.A.R. or one10raceways?
neither yet . I used to race in Calgary a few years ago but just getting back in to the hobby . Which club do you race at ? I talked to Great Hobbies yesterday before I saw your post and they said they couldnít get that gear diff in lol . Having trouble finding this part Ö Iím a bit out of the loop on the rc gathering lol Ö any suggestions by anyone ? Thanks .
Old 01-27-2023, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

neither yet . I used to race in Calgary a few years ago but just getting back in to the hobby . Which club do you race at ? I talked to Great Hobbies yesterday before I saw your post and they said they couldnít get that gear diff in lol . Having trouble finding this part Ö Iím a bit out of the loop on the rc gathering lol Ö any suggestions by anyone ? Thanks .
I am going to the N.A.S.C.A.R. track. i got off the phone with great hobbies today they said the diff is out of stock and no ETA on restock times to the supplier.
I am also inquiring with a few other hobby shops i know of in Ontario for the diff to see what they say. I shall keep you informed on that if you would like?
Old 01-27-2023, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlruk
Probably want the softer ones on the rear if you are spinning out? My second outing with it wasn't quite as good, needs more front end grip and I lost the rear a couple of times so will now give it a proper going over before I use it again
they where old used ones i have in my bag. i will try the new soft ones see if they expand like a pizza cutter as well. based on my workbench findings.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Tech Initiate

I am going to the N.A.S.C.A.R. track. i got off the phone with great hobbies today they said the diff is out of stock and no ETA on restock times to the supplier.
I am also inquiring with a few other hobby shops i know of in Ontario for the diff to see what they say. I shall keep you informed on that if you would like?
ya I follow this thread now . I think I found a 3racing part , havenít found a source yet though .
Old 01-28-2023, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

54471 is the part number for a complete gear diff. They have been hard to get recently but RCMart in HK have them.

It is possible to piece together from spares but in typical Tamiya fashion it requires lots of parts, some of which are also hard to get hold of individually. Had to do that myself within the last couple of months and I was relying on toolbox spares to finish it off. So I would definitely recommend tracking down the full diff to start with.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info . I think this will also work in the m08 ?

https://www.3racing-parts.com/tamiya...1-p-11710.html
Old 01-28-2023, 03:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info . I think this will also work in the m08 ?

https://www.3racing-parts.com/tamiya...1-p-11710.html
at the club they retain the stock diff gear ratio to my current understanding so that on would not work. you need the 52T diff as the one you linked is 50T.
https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...asp?p_id=13928
Old 02-01-2023, 09:39 AM
Tech Initiate

K , didnít realize there was a difference . Glad I checked this thread , thanks .
Old 02-04-2023, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default M08 rear stepping out

If the m08 is stepping out
out of the corner (on power)
- shorter camber links
- more rear toe-in
- straighter from toe (go to zero toe)
- more front droop (so that weight is transferred to rear)
- short or medium wheelbase
- make rear tread narrower (use thinner drive hexes)
- use more front kickup ( to encourage weight transfer to rear)
- use lower rear roll centre to cause downward jacking)
-
stickier rear tires

Into corner (off power)
- use longer wheelbase
- limit rear droop ( so weight doesn't transfer to front)
- use less front kickup (less kickup also limits rear to front weight transfer)
- use more rear toe
- use front toe out
- use shorter rear camber links
- use higher front roll centre to create upward jacking
- use stickier rear tires

Lots of fun things to play with... enjoy!
jo_er86 likes this.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Got the gear diff ordered from USA still waiting to for the ones i ordered to arrive locally and that that way i will have extra parts ready to go if i ever need them.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by foampervert
If the m08 is stepping out
out of the corner (on power)
- shorter camber links
- more rear toe-in
- straighter from toe (go to zero toe)
- more front droop (so that weight is transferred to rear)
- short or medium wheelbase
- make rear tread narrower (use thinner drive hexes)
- use more front kickup ( to encourage weight transfer to rear)
- use lower rear roll centre to cause downward jacking)
-
stickier rear tires

Into corner (off power)
- use longer wheelbase
- limit rear droop ( so weight doesn't transfer to front)
- use less front kickup (less kickup also limits rear to front weight transfer)
- use more rear toe
- use front toe out
- use shorter rear camber links
- use higher front roll centre to create upward jacking
- use stickier rear tires

Lots of fun things to play with... enjoy!
Some of these are vague, or I personally disagree with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.