Like Tree284Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 03-08-2022, 04:43 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Supply chain is all out. I have a used set with very low mileage on it (two races on black carpet). If you're interested in buying it, let me know.

I actually like the newer Tamiya radial tires but do know some people who prefer the Ride tire.
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

The old S grips should still be available.. probably hard to come by due to supply chain issues.

This is what I got from Tamiya a while back regarding new radials that Dan mentioned.

They're a step softer. They have a narrower temperature range and will wear out faster in warmer track conditions, but will have a lot of grip on medium to low track temp conditions. The standard S grips have a wider temp range. Longer wear cycle too.
ruebiracer and YoShImUrA53 like this.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
The old S grips should still be available.. probably hard to come by due to supply chain issues.

This is what I got from Tamiya a while back regarding new radials that Dan mentioned.

They're a step softer. They have a narrower temperature range and will wear out faster in warmer track conditions, but will have a lot of grip on medium to low track temp conditions. The standard S grips have a wider temp range. Longer wear cycle too.
Very helpful info Raman! So you refer to the soft S- grips 54995, correct?
Prices are weird in Germany at the moment, the old S grip 53254 counts in @21,99€ per 2 pcs., while the newer one is 15,79€ at a local dealer.
And there is the second new Super radial hard 54999 for 16,79€. Do you have any info on the hard new radials regarding usage profile?

Seems we have to adapt our technical regulations for our local mini class. Could be hard to identify the tires clearly in the technical check, when the side walls are a little bit worn. Did you already have some samples in your hand? Are they different from the look ? Branding is still "S-Grip"? Your help is appreciated, as always!

Kind regards,
Matthias
Old 03-09-2022, 04:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
I had looked at Modellbau Seidel as well, but I could not find it there back then (don't know if it wasn't listed yet or if I had just overlooked it), so I went with Tamico. All the blue goodness however, has now been ordered from Seidel. Everything, except 54786 (I am going to use the M-07 front suspension parts), which seems to be out of stock everywhere in Germany.
Hi Dirk,
I also could not spot it at Seidel, as their search function is no that good, when not using exact terms. A friend told me about it, and gave me the link for preorder. I trust Tamico and Seidel anyway, but Seidel was quite cheap this time in comparison to Tamico. So Seidel was set this time for M08 R.

Have fun installing the good bits,
Matthias
Old 03-09-2022, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes, the price difference is quite significant. And while I trust both shops as well, I usually shop for my Tamiya things at Seidel almost exclusively, so it would have been nice if I could have done my business with them once again.

I hope I will have time to build it this weekend.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ruebiracer View Post
Very helpful info Raman! So you refer to the soft S- grips 54995, correct?
Prices are weird in Germany at the moment, the old S grip 53254 counts in @21,99 per 2 pcs., while the newer one is 15,79 at a local dealer.
And there is the second new Super radial hard 54999 for 16,79. Do you have any info on the hard new radials regarding usage profile?

Seems we have to adapt our technical regulations for our local mini class. Could be hard to identify the tires clearly in the technical check, when the side walls are a little bit worn. Did you already have some samples in your hand? Are they different from the look ? Branding is still "S-Grip"? Your help is appreciated, as always!

Kind regards,
Matthias
Matthias,

This is what I know of the nee versions. 54995 M chassis radial Soft (new)

54999 M chassis radial hard (new)

Old 03-24-2022, 08:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone know when the M-08R kits will start showing up in the US? I pre ordered mine from A-main.
Old 03-28-2022, 02:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone know the reference of the 08 concept kit springs? Those springs seem incredible to me but I don't see the reference in any catalogue..

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2022, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

What do you think about the ball diff included with the M08R. I notice that in Asia countries they race on a lot of outdoor paved tracks. Do you think that's why they opted for the ball diff.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:24 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I'd probably run a ball diff in low traction conditions. We did it for F1 when we ran on asphalt.

I plan on running a gear diff in mines for black carpet.
Roken likes this.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've build mine with the (in this case optional) gear diff, as I intend to use it on carpet only. If I ever end up in a Mini Race on Asphalt, I'd switch over to my M-07R.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I put a ball diff in my M-08 that I run on black carpet. I just prefer them to the liquid filled gear diffs. Much easier to adjust and no leaking.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Last weekend first time outside again, was actually pretty pleased with pace of the car, just my driving was not strong enough.

In my first qualifying my laptime was actually the 3rd fastest, only a few hundreds of a second of the 2nd fastest. But the field was close together and for the finals the difference in starting the final in p5 or p9 was only 2 about 2 seconds on the overall time. Considering I made some F-ups in my qualifying I think a much better result would have been possible.

my starts where bad, probably because I wanted to be safe and not go too fast and spin at the start. But had fun some good fights.

Made improvements from last year when I barely made it into the A finals unable to fight the midfield. Now I had to speed to fight for midfield positions.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Curious on others thoughts for the 08 vs the 07. I think I like the 07 better but might not have the 08 dialed. And what tires are you running. Thanks
Old 04-18-2022, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StockRc View Post
Curious on others thoughts for the 08 vs the 07. I think I like the 07 better but might not have the 08 dialed. And what tires are you running. Thanks
They're wildly different cars. RWD versus FWD is.. a real kettle of fish. Both are really good cars. Well thought out. Reasonably easy to work on. The FWD car can be driven like a normal touring car. The RWD has all the RWD kinks, but you lose the brakes.

I like them both. I turn similar lap times. They are not the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.