Like Tree447Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 09-09-2021, 03:04 AM
  #496  
Tech Regular
 
ruebiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 382
Default

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
ruebiracer, I'm glad it's working well for you!
Currently, I have the aluminum steering bridge with a 1.5mm spacer behind the ball stud. Hope this helps!

I'll post up my Regionals/current setup here in a bit. Not much has changed, but just a couple tweaks to the rear shock oil, etc.
Thank you so much Jesse for revealing your steering setup, too!
Just grabbed your update from the regionals, I hope Ive time to test soon!

Kind regards and keep up the good work,
Matthias
Raman and cementsurfer86 like this.
ruebiracer is offline  
Old 09-09-2021, 03:08 AM
  #497  
Tech Regular
 
ruebiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 382
Default

What I forgot to ask:
You write "Droop - measured over ride height" is clear for me, but what you note in the rebound stroke is e.g. 7mms. But his seems a quite high droop value? Maybe its just this way, or am I missing something here?
ruebiracer is offline  
Old 09-09-2021, 03:11 AM
  #498  
Tech Regular
 
ruebiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 382
Default

And another question regarding the shocks: With black pistons, you mean the ones coming with the std. V-parts? Not the white Teflon nor the black POM version from TRF 419?
ruebiracer is offline  
Old 09-09-2021, 12:27 PM
  #499  
Tech Master
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lake Tapps, WA
Posts: 1,165
Default

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
What I forgot to ask:
You write "Droop - measured over ride height" is clear for me, but what you note in the rebound stroke is e.g. 7mms. But his seems a quite high droop value? Maybe its just this way, or am I missing something here?
7mm is the total ride height when the car is fully drooped-out.

So for example, say I have 5.4mm of ride height... With a 7mm ride height at full droop, I would be running approximately 1.6mm of droop.
It's an easy way I've found to give me a quick reading for droop that I can check easily when testing and making constant changes, rather than removing wheels and using droop blocks, etc..

As for the black pistons, yes those are the standard black plastic pistons found on the V-parts tree. I've found these to be just a hair smaller in diameter over the white delrin pistons, which reduces drag in the body itself. You'll also notice that the black pistons have a slight "flat spot" on one side. In my testing, this gives the shock less "pack" and allows the shock to cycle oil easier throughout the shock stroke, which gives a more planted feel on the m-chassis cars. It tends to reduce the bouncing effect that can happen with these smaller cars, especially outdoors on asphalt.

I would try both and see what you think, but from my experience with my own cars, I'm able to fine-tune the feel of the shock package better when using the black pistons.

Hope this helps!
ruebiracer likes this.

Last edited by cementsurfer86; 09-09-2021 at 02:54 PM.
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Old 09-09-2021, 03:26 PM
  #500  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,347
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

One more go at TCS this weekend with the M08. I may give in and join the masses on the dark side.... the M07.
Dan is offline  
Old 09-09-2021, 07:21 PM
  #501  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,350
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
One more go at TCS this weekend with the M08. I may give in and join the masses on the dark side.... the M07.
Come on Dan, wheres the challenge in joining the herd. You can do it.
ruebiracer likes this.
Raman is offline  
Old 09-09-2021, 10:04 PM
  #502  
Tech Regular
 
ruebiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Germany
Posts: 382
Default

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
7mm is the total ride height when the car is fully drooped-out.

So for example, say I have 5.4mm of ride height... With a 7mm ride height at full droop, I would be running approximately 1.6mm of droop.
It's an easy way I've found to give me a quick reading for droop that I can check easily when testing and making constant changes, rather than removing wheels and using droop blocks, etc..

As for the black pistons, yes those are the standard black plastic pistons found on the V-parts tree. I've found these to be just a hair smaller in diameter over the white delrin pistons, which reduces drag in the body itself. You'll also notice that the black pistons have a slight "flat spot" on one side. In my testing, this gives the shock less "pack" and allows the shock to cycle oil easier throughout the shock stroke, which gives a more planted feel on the m-chassis cars. It tends to reduce the bouncing effect that can happen with these smaller cars, especially outdoors on asphalt.

I would try both and see what you think, but from my experience with my own cars, I'm able to fine-tune the feel of the shock package better when using the black pistons.

Hope this helps!
Thank you Jesse for the explanations again! Now its crystal clear, how you measure your car and what is the background on the shock pistons. Also like your method. Still seems weird to me to put a M-chassis on droop blocks with the rebound stroke gauges likea touring car. And totally true with the shock pistons. The TRF pistons are way more tight with the missing flat spot and smaller bore holes. So if your car runs superb with CVA dampers, its not easy to switch to TRF dampers and create the same amount of damping / pack. Probably, that was also the reason Tamiya changed the bore holes in the TRF shocks of the M06 R version. They increased the 3 hole piston to 1,3mm holes on the rear axle for less pack. I found this setup to be really good aon the M06 and always sticked to it...
On my M08, I still have the CVAs at the moment, but plan to switch to TRFs in the future.
Kind regards,
Matthias
Raman and cementsurfer86 like this.
ruebiracer is offline  
Old 09-10-2021, 07:11 AM
  #503  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 35
Default


The Lotus seems to come with a small spoiler and on the medium wheelbase.

Now I need to think Do I want an M-06 on the side or can I wait until body comes out independently of chassis..
kwkride likes this.
Zanquis is offline  
Old 09-13-2021, 01:31 PM
  #504  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,347
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman
Come on Dan, wheres the challenge in joining the herd. You can do it.
Ok, missed TQ by 8 tenths and brought it down to the wire for an A3 battle in the triple A mains. Couldn't convert it to a win but it was a very close battle so I will stick with the M08.

Dan is offline  
Old 09-13-2021, 06:53 PM
  #505  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
kwkride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,171
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
Ok, missed TQ by 8 tenths and brought it down to the wire for an A3 battle in the triple A mains. Couldn't convert it to a win but it was a very close battle so I will stick with the M08.
Good racing with you again Dan. Which tires were you running? I was still running the Ride tires and need to replace them. Thanks
kwkride is offline  
Old 09-13-2021, 10:40 PM
  #506  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,347
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

You too! I was running the new hard tires at the shop with the hard inserts. Glad we were allowed to use those instead of being stuck with the Ride tires.
ruebiracer likes this.
Dan is offline  
Old 09-14-2021, 04:48 AM
  #507  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
kwkride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,171
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Thanks! When I got to the 'Plex Friday afternoon they were already out of Mini tires, so I was running the Ride tires that I had (which ripped the sidewalls during the Mains). Still a fun weekend!
ruebiracer likes this.
kwkride is offline  
Old 09-14-2021, 07:36 AM
  #508  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,350
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
Ok, missed TQ by 8 tenths and brought it down to the wire for an A3 battle in the triple A mains. Couldn't convert it to a win but it was a very close battle so I will stick with the M08.
So you placed 2nd overall? 👍
ruebiracer likes this.
Raman is offline  
Old 09-14-2021, 07:37 AM
  #509  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (94)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 5,350
Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
You too! I was running the new hard tires at the shop with the hard inserts. Glad we were allowed to use those instead of being stuck with the Ride tires.
What are these hard tyres? Tamiya? Or Ride?
Raman is offline  
Old 09-14-2021, 08:04 AM
  #510  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
kwkride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,171
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman
What are these hard tyres? Tamiya? Or Ride?
New tires that are legal for the TCS M-Chassis class

Tamiya 60D Radial Tires (soft) #54995

Tamiya 60D Radial Tires (hard) #54999

ruebiracer likes this.
kwkride is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.