Like Tree443Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 08-01-2021, 09:13 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Awesome results! Winning TCS. Winning On asphalt against M07s is another award in itself. Congratulations 👏

You went with short wheelbase as well! 👍 it has wicked quick steering 😉

I see they awarded you with the Comical Avante as well. My son and I received one as well.
Hey Raman
Yes , it was cementsurface86 winning soild weekend
The second places winner was my M08 225mm wheel base and my buddy ,he drove my M08 for the first time after three years hibernating.
I didn't know the old Miata is 210mm?
ruebiracer likes this.

Last edited by OVA; 08-01-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA
Hey Raman
Yes , it was cementsurface86 winning soild weekend
The second places winner was my M08 225mm wheel base and my buddy ,he drove my M08 for the first time after three years hibernating.
I didn't know the old Miata is 210mm?
The old Miata is a 225, so technically itís a mid, but yeah, itís about the perfect length for that car.

Mark may have been out of the game for a bit, but he picked right up where he left off, I didnít see much rust. Heís one of the ďclassĒ TCS racers in our region.

Raman, Iím stoked to build it! Itís the only Avante I can affordÖ.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Raman, Iím stoked to build it! Itís the only Avante I can affordÖ.
🤣 I know! Back in 2013, I was unemployed when the Egress came out. So I missed out. They just released a new batch, but prices on Tamiya re-res just in 2020. 2013 egress was street proxes $300ish. Now itís $475.. canít justify spending that kind of coin on a chassis that will sit on a shelf
Old 08-01-2021, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

On the heels of the regional TCS where we had two M08ís take the top two spots, Galaxy RC Racers hosted a 4.5 hour mini enduro, and Iím proud to say that my M08 (following cementsurferís setup) took the win against a field of M07ís. As the day wore on the diff kept losing oil, and the rear shocks were squeaky and felt like they lost most of their damping, but it stayed locked and consistent regardless.

we had the fortune of not suffering any breaks throughout the day, which in a race like this can make the difference between winning and losing, and I honestly think it made the difference. That, and after today Iím convinced that the M08 is easier on its tires than the M07 as two of the M07 teams suffered total tire failure. While we did choose to swap our rears out with a fresh set after the first hour of the race, our tires were still in good, albeit worn, condition after the remaining 3 hours. The rest of the M07 had tears in sidewalls while the m08 just had the glue separating. This was with the TCS Rides. I could probably refresh tue glue and get few more race days out of these tires.

Overall, the car was easy to drive and consistent from start to finish and made for the most fun racing Iíve had in a long time. More than ever Iím sold on the M08 platform as the platform of choice for mini.
OVA likes this.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Having had this diff in an XV01 for close to a decade, I recommend changing the kit black o ring with Kyosho P5 red one. That helped with leaking out of the drives. As for the gasket, green slime it.

Which shocks are you running and which orings.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JoshuaRC10
On the heels of the regional TCS where we had two M08ís take the top two spots, Galaxy RC Racers hosted a 4.5 hour mini enduro, and Iím proud to say that my M08 (following cementsurferís setup) took the win against a field of M07ís. As the day wore on the diff kept losing oil, and the rear shocks were squeaky and felt like they lost most of their damping, but it stayed locked and consistent regardless.

we had the fortune of not suffering any breaks throughout the day, which in a race like this can make the difference between winning and losing, and I honestly think it made the difference. That, and after today Iím convinced that the M08 is easier on its tires than the M07 as two of the M07 teams suffered total tire failure. While we did choose to swap our rears out with a fresh set after the first hour of the race, our tires were still in good, albeit worn, condition after the remaining 3 hours. The rest of the M07 had tears in sidewalls while the m08 just had the glue separating. This was with the TCS Rides. I could probably refresh tue glue and get few more race days out of these tires.

Overall, the car was easy to drive and consistent from start to finish and made for the most fun racing Iíve had in a long time. More than ever Iím sold on the M08 platform as the platform of choice for mini.
That setup is pretty easy on tires (by design). It takes a lot to overheat or overwork them, which keeps the car consistent.
When you get into a groove with the 08, you can click off laps as consistent as any car out there, mini or otherwise.
ruebiracer and JoshuaRC10 like this.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

Having had this diff in an XV01 for close to a decade, I recommend changing the kit black o ring with Kyosho P5 red one. That helped with leaking out of the drives. As for the gasket, green slime it.

When I did a rebuild on mine recently, I swapped in some fresh Tamiya red o-rings, but added a .01 shim per side under the pin in addition to the kit shims to slightly compress the o-ring, but keep drag to a minimum. Hasn't leaked a drop since.
Raman, ruebiracer and JoshuaRC10 like this.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'll look into the Kyosho o ring for the diff.

The shocks are the TRF shocks that were on my old M07 and have kit o rings. they needed a rebuild even before the enduro yesterday to be honest.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

New RWD M Chassis body coming 58698 Lotus Europa Special (M06M* Chassis)
Old 08-06-2021, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Haha, I saw that this morning as well. Hopefully we get a picture of it soon!
Old 08-06-2021, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Last fall they also released a Fiat 124 Abarth at the same time as the Lotus Europa static kit. I had a feeling we would see one of them on an m chassis. Hopefully we get the Fiat 124 as well.. No more grocery shopping bodies please
cementsurfer86 and ruebiracer like this.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ErikJan
Looking at the setup, this is on carpet? Interesting that you in the US are allowed to race indoor. Here in Europe indoor racing is an absolute no go at this moment. But this is another discussion.

We have made good progress finding a nice asphalt set up. We race on a technical medium grip track with two straights that start with a hairpin.
Ride 36fr and 30rr works well, with similar to M07 laptimes. With Tamiya M-fr and S rr the balance is also ok, but about a full second slower (laptimes around 20sec).

We made some changes that helped a lot:
-use M07 0 degree hubs and a 4 degree alu plate and use small shims to correct the castor angle. We found 1.6 degree (0.75mm shims) works best with the Ride tires.
-for our track we used a ball diff, and this improved the drivability out of the tight corners a lot.
-remove the steering system, flip the servo and connect the steering links direct to the servosaver. We also tried this indoor, but outdoor the difference is huge.

We also tried different wheelbases and bodies, But hardly differences in laptimes found. On asphalt the L looks to be a little bit easier to drive.

Hopefully we can go back to racing somewhere in September, to find how the M08 goes in real competition.
can you show how you did this with the Servo? Am very interested in this part. Especially how you fill things up.

During my last race I found the car very driveable but steering needed more accuracy and still struggle with oversteer out of the corners but 1 problem at the time I guess.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Can I show up to a TCS race with a repro body from the ancestor of the M chassis?

ruebiracer and typhon92 like this.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Can I show up to a TCS race with a repro body from the ancestor of the M chassis?
They should remake it on a MF-01x chassis. Would probably sell very well.
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Zanquis
They should remake it on a MF-01x chassis. Would probably sell very well.
Agree! Would be awesome

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.