Search
Like Tree440Likes

Tamiya M-08

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dealer Xing
Can anyone recommend diff fluid for not ideal or borderline loose asphalt? My car keeps spinning out on power and I wonder if I can run the diff with only a coating of fluid without destroying the internal diff gears.
I’d recommend 1k. your diff is not making you spin out on power. Your motor may have too much torque, if not then you don’t have sufficient weight transfer in rear for on power. Reduce droop in front an increase droop in rear
Old 06-01-2021, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
I really don't see you can go anything less then 3000 weigh......I don't think it is the diff, you might want to trim down your steering dual rate, harder the front spring (like a step) and take the steering aggressiveness from your car. M08 is RWD and you have to ease your throttle alittle bit. Unless FWD or 4WD cars throttle line movement. I drove my M08 mini for the 1st time (never own a MINI ever) and I have to drive the car like F1.
Exactly, must be driven like F1, smooth throttle control.. not pull and go like FWD
Old 06-01-2021, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

I haven’t ran on asphalt in a very long time..

I didn’t need to glue rides on CRC black carpet.. so before you glue side walls, look at other options like front roll centre, soften front maybe.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoshuaRC10
i'm running blue fronts with the 3 hole piston and 425cst oil (35wt) and red rears with 2 hole piston and 350cst (30wt) rear. 2 deg toe in in the front and 4 deg caster plate.

the car is pretty dialed. the only guy that beat me this weekend was another guy running the m-08 who had slightly harder oil, m07 front hub carriers (so he had 4 deg of caster to my 6), and sway bars (yellow front and red rear i think), and his car was a bit more stable than mine so he was able to wheel it harder. we were fully TCS legal and did not need to glue the sidewalls on med grip asphalt.
Are you running the TCS ride tires outside? Thanks for the tips...will try that next week.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Raman
I haven’t ran on asphalt in a very long time..

I didn’t need to glue rides on CRC black carpet.. so before you glue side walls, look at other options like front roll centre, soften front maybe.
Hmmmm....may be we have some very soak up black carpet, car will be rolling like a egg roll without CA the front tires.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Solara
Are you running the TCS ride tires outside? Thanks for the tips...will try that next week.
Solara, yes we both ran the RIDE premounts. The M08's really respond well to a softer setup that allows the car to roll and generate mechanical grip. It sounds counterintuitive, as you'd think a stiffer setup will prevent traction issues, but it's exactly the opposite. The stiffer the car, the more edgy it becomes, thus making it more prone to traction rolling.
These cars are so short and narrow compared to a touring car, that the dampening it critical. Getting the shock package right was the single biggest thing I worked with in all of my testing.

I'll post my base setup in a bit.
Raman likes this.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Solara, yes we both ran the RIDE premounts. The M08's really respond well to a softer setup that allows the car to roll and generate mechanical grip. It sounds counterintuitive, as you'd think a stiffer setup will prevent traction issues, but it's exactly the opposite. The stiffer the car, the more edgy it becomes, thus making it more prone to traction rolling.
These cars are so short and narrow compared to a touring car, that the dampening it critical. Getting the shock package right was the single biggest thing I worked with in all of my testing.

listen to this guy. He’s the guy I got my setup from and the guy that beat me last week.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:48 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoshuaRC10
listen to this guy. He’s the guy I got my setup from and the guy that beat me last week.
Hey Josh
Yes this guy cementsurfer86 has a good set up for 225 yes sir ..So far mine working really well and my M08 wheel base is 210 and I was able full throttle hard without spinning out and rolling around SeaTac track ..No pop just super clean surface
afterward today practices I decided to change to 225mm and it works just as well as the 210mm wheel base
Boy this M08 is fast
Raman and JoshuaRC10 like this.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Correct: softer is better !!! Just make sure all the weight is as low as possible to stop traction rolling...
Old 06-05-2021, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Here's my baseline asphalt setup that I've worked on over the past year. I'll change a few things here and there, but this is what I start from.
I call it the #CovidM08 because it was built and tested during lockdown last year. By far, my favorite M-Chassis car. Very balanced with good corner speed.

Solara, Raman and JoshuaRC10 like this.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OVA
Hey Josh
Yes this guy cementsurfer86 has a good set up for 225 yes sir ..So far mine working really well and my M08 wheel base is 210 and I was able full throttle hard without spinning out and rolling around SeaTac track ..No pop just super clean surface
afterward today practices I decided to change to 225mm and it works just as well as the 210mm wheel base
Boy this M08 is fast
Yep, that was me at TCS. Buzzer would sound and I would gently squeeze trigger to avoid wheel spin and my little Alpine A110 was gone 💨 The M07s were still spinning their wheels. 😈
OVA and cementsurfer86 like this.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:00 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Raman you just killing me lol
I remember I ran the M04 at the TCS carpet and TQ and lost in the A main ..I never forget the guy names Doc ...got tags in the back the cause the car spinout ..Thing happen ..Oh well
Old 06-05-2021, 08:11 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Side Note
I have to say
A few week ago Mr cementsurfer86 proved the M08 work well on asphalt ...and I was impressive
Old 06-05-2021, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OVA
Raman you just killing me lol
I remember I ran the M04 at the TCS carpet and TQ and lost in the A main ..I never forget the guy names Doc ...got tags in the back the cause the car spinout ..Thing happen ..Oh well
M04 at TCS is like wheeling a 76 911 Turbo, takes courage 😂

my buddy who is a top M07 driver in CA bought an M08.. didn’t like it.. lol... complained about brakes on asphalt.. I told him .. brakes what brakes? you don’t need no stinkin brakes man
OVA likes this.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86

Awesome, looking forward to use your setup for this weekend outdoor parking race......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.