OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
No way dude, get your own.. 😆
Hope your wrong
Old 07-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Just finished mine yesterday. Really looking forward to testing against my 06!

Raman, what shims did you use for the steering rack?
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

phew!!! that sure looks Racey on the left there! Looks fast even when standing still! must be a M08RR
cementsurfer86 likes this.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Markus
phew!!! that sure looks Racey on the left there! Looks fast even when standing still! must be a M08RR
No sir, just the standard kit (not sure there's a 'r' kit out yet) with the functional hop ups and blue screws. Car went together really well, save for the steering slop.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ErikJan
Looking at the setup, this is on carpet? Interesting that you in the US are allowed to race indoor. Here in Europe indoor racing is an absolute no go at this moment. But this is another discussion.

We have made good progress finding a nice asphalt set up. We race on a technical medium grip track with two straights that start with a hairpin.
Ride 36fr and 30rr works well, with similar to M07 laptimes. With Tamiya M-fr and S rr the balance is also ok, but about a full second slower (laptimes around 20sec).

We made some changes that helped a lot:
-use M07 0 degree hubs and a 4 degree alu plate and use small shims to correct the castor angle. We found 1.6 degree (0.75mm shims) works best with the Ride tires.
-for our track we used a ball diff, and this improved the drivability out of the tight corners a lot.
-remove the steering system, flip the servo and connect the steering links direct to the servosaver. We also tried this indoor, but outdoor the difference is huge.

We also tried different wheelbases and bodies, But hardly differences in laptimes found. On asphalt the L looks to be a little bit easier to drive.

Hopefully we can go back to racing somewhere in September, to find how the M08 goes in real competition.
Hi Erik Jan,
very good News from you!
Do you think, the Rides are a second faster because of their bigger rollout? Or do they build up more grip at your track?
Seems I have to get me a ball diff for testing, too. (when Im able to drive again).
For the steering mod I guess you use the kit servo saver? Or maybe the longer upper part from M04?

Kind regards,
Matthias
Old 07-08-2020, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Raman
Time to wake up this thread! I am back fresh from TCS with some positive feedback on this little gem of a car. Turn out wasn't that big given the pandemic, 8 entries. 6 M07 and 2 M08. I finished 4th overall behind 3 M08s all driven by individuals with greater driving skills than I. Had one of them driven the car they would have certainly won with it as well.

One thing is for certain, everyone should ditch the M08 C hub and switch over to the M07 4 plate and carbon reinforced C hub. I did not break once, meanwhile my friend in his M08 suffered multiple C hub failures. Here is my set up attached. Forgot to add, rear diff had 30k in it!

Here is my concourse winning body 👍

Finally congratulations Raman, as I guessed your Renault won the body contest! Well done!
And thank you for your Setup sheet! Good Infos from you!
Old 07-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Just finished mine yesterday. Really looking forward to testing against my 06!

Raman, what shims did you use for the steering rack?
On the arm that attaches to the servo, I used 2@6 x 0,1 mm shim. I placed them inside the arm and then installed the bearing. On left arm I only needed 1@ 6 x 0,1 mm shim. Yours may be different

On the bridge I also aded 2 @ 5 x 0,15 shims ( 3racing has halves). These were in addition to the 2@ 3 x 0,1 mm shims per the manual. I also coated the shims with Finishline Ceramic Dry Wax Lub (used for cycling)
Old 07-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Finally congratulations Raman, as I guessed your Renault won the body contest! Well done!
And thank you for your Setup sheet! Good Infos from you!
Yes! Two years in a row.. albeit this year was less competition! After the R5, I took all
my Createx paints and through them in the trash. I hate them lol.. 😭 theyre torturous to use!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:58 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Erik Jan,
very good News from you!
Do you think, the Rides are a second faster because of their bigger rollout? Or do they build up more grip at your track?
Seems I have to get me a ball diff for testing, too. (when Im able to drive again).
For the steering mod I guess you use the kit servo saver? Or maybe the longer upper part from M04?

Kind regards,
Matthias
The Ride tires have more grip and are more consistent then the Tamiya. The roll out should be the same. Another good thing is that the Ride gives you the opportunity to go up or down with the shore to balance the car. On the M07 I now use 30 front, 33 rear, and the M08 36 front and 30 rear.
At this moment the Ride tires are sold out almost everywhere. That is too bad.
A few weeks ago we tested a 17.5T with the ball and gear diff, there was not much difference. The mandatory (Germany/Netherlands) Carson 16T(sensorless) has much more torque and a ball diff is worth the try on med grip asphalt.
The new Karmann Ghia bodyshell is more and more getting my favorite, drives very well and good balance. Yes kit servosaver with minor Dremel work.

If you do not mind driving 600km (combined with a short holiday), our club starts racing again this weekend with a good M chassis competition, ERCE Eindhoven circuit
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ErikJan
The Ride tires have more grip and are more consistent then the Tamiya. The roll out should be the same. Another good thing is that the Ride gives you the opportunity to go up or down with the shore to balance the car. On the M07 I now use 30 front, 33 rear, and the M08 36 front and 30 rear.
At this moment the Ride tires are sold out almost everywhere. That is too bad.
A few weeks ago we tested a 17.5T with the ball and gear diff, there was not much difference. The mandatory (Germany/Netherlands) Carson 16T(sensorless) has much more torque and a ball diff is worth the try on med grip asphalt.
The new Karmann Ghia bodyshell is more and more getting my favorite, drives very well and good balance. Yes kit servosaver with minor Dremel work.

If you do not mind driving 600km (combined with a short holiday), our club starts racing again this weekend with a good M chassis competition, ERCE Eindhoven circuit
Thank you very much for the offer Erik, I really would like to do racing after Corona for the first time, but 6 weeks ago I became father of a little daughter, so this Kind of holiday has to wait.
Yeah, the Carson 16t is really not developed for M-Chassis racing, but Tamiya Europe Always had some strange rules of Equipment. We use it, as some guys in our series wanted to be comparable to TEC. But I think the US rules with some timed 21,5t or as you tested some 17,5t Comes out with less torque and more driveability. Thanks for the tip with the ball diff for this case, I never would have thought about that for asphalt.
We also use the Rides outdoors, because of the facts you mentioned. Indoors on carpet we run the S-Grips f/r.
I will definetely try your steering mod and the ball diff, so interesting to test.
Hope I will have some time end of the year to return to Racing. Anyway, no time to paint my Karmann shell at the moment.
I wish you so much fun for the first race and success, let us know, how the M-Party was.

Kind regards,
Matthias
Old 07-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Thank you very much for the offer Erik, I really would like to do racing after Corona for the first time, but 6 weeks ago I became father of a little daughter, so this Kind of holiday has to wait.
Yeah, the Carson 16t is really not developed for M-Chassis racing, but Tamiya Europe Always had some strange rules of Equipment. We use it, as some guys in our series wanted to be comparable to TEC. But I think the US rules with some timed 21,5t or as you tested some 17,5t Comes out with less torque and more driveability. Thanks for the tip with the ball diff for this case, I never would have thought about that for asphalt.
We also use the Rides outdoors, because of the facts you mentioned. Indoors on carpet we run the S-Grips f/r.
I will definetely try your steering mod and the ball diff, so interesting to test.
Hope I will have some time end of the year to return to Racing. Anyway, no time to paint my Karmann shell at the moment.
I wish you so much fun for the first race and success, let us know, how the M-Party was.

Kind regards,
Matthias
Our U.S. Tamiya rules mandate the Ride tires and the Reedy 21.5t Fixed timing motor. I haven't had a chance to test the rides, but I do have a set ready. A lot of guys in the states scoffed at the Reedy motor because it is definitely on the slower side, but I feel it is more of a speed that matches what these cars are designed for, and it produced some really great racing!
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Our U.S. Tamiya rules mandate the Ride tires and the Reedy 21.5t Fixed timing motor. I haven't had a chance to test the rides, but I do have a set ready. A lot of guys in the states scoffed at the Reedy motor because it is definitely on the slower side, but I feel it is more of a speed that matches what these cars are designed for, and it produced some really great racing!
Yes, definetely absolute speed is not everything! Close fights you can have also at slower speeds. Its also very much related to the tracks you run on, if its Maybe felt as too slow. Really would like to know, how fast this Reedy 21,5t turns out. The Japan guys are also completely different. Maybe Tamiya should release a new small brushless Motor like the Acto Tuned 20 years ago, that would run cheaply with the TBLE02S. Could be a good Thing and would simplify Things / reglements all over the Mini world.
Should only be smooth building up the torque with not too much absolute torque, but can have some revolutions on the top end to be not too slow.

What do you think? Keen on your thoughts!

Kind regards,
Matthias

Old 07-10-2020, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Yes, definetely absolute speed is not everything! Close fights you can have also at slower speeds. Its also very much related to the tracks you run on, if its Maybe felt as too slow. Really would like to know, how fast this Reedy 21,5t turns out. The Japan guys are also completely different. Maybe Tamiya should release a new small brushless Motor like the Acto Tuned 20 years ago, that would run cheaply with the TBLE02S. Could be a good Thing and would simplify Things / reglements all over the Mini world.
Should only be smooth building up the torque with not too much absolute torque, but can have some revolutions on the top end to be not too slow.

What do you think? Keen on your thoughts!

Kind regards,
Matthias
I agree. M-chassis cars in my opinion have never been designed around lots of horsepower, which is why they are so much fun once you slow them down a bit. The Reedy has a fairly smooth powerband and tops out at a rate similar to a really good silver can. Speed and off-power drag is also comparable to a massaged silver can, which is really what these cars love.

We had phenomenal racing at our NW regional last year, which I won with my old M06. Was no easy task, because with power being limited, setup and momentum were key. It makes it a driver's race, which I absolutely loved!

The main gripe I heard with the Reedy was the discrepancy in power from one motor to another. Being a fixed timing motor, I had heard of people seeing large variances in available power, which caused some to buy multiple motors and choose the best one, which is what this "spec" was supposed to prevent.

Spec racing (especially capped speed) is always going to be like that though. I bought one and ran it, and had a blast. It would be cool to see a modern Tamiya spec version though. That would be interesting for sure.
ruebiracer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.