Like Tree416Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 01-19-2020, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by addicted2blue

2° toe-in (all spacers at the rear removed and 0,5mm added at the front rear suspenion mounts).

Isn't that toe out ?

Have you tried the new 26301 Ride tires ?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jag88
Isn't that toe out ?

Have you tried the new 26301 Ride tires ?
No, that is still toe-in.
Minimum toe-in at the rear is 2.6° (as stated in the manual) but when you mount 1 spacer from the back at the front rear suspension mount you have about 2° toe-in.
I only use tamiya tires, body or hop up parts as i would drive at the tamiyacup series.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

The car changes pretty dramatically with the Rides. With the S-Grips the car is easy to drive and fast!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
The car changes pretty dramatically with the Rides. With the S-Grips the car is easy to drive and fast!

Just got a set of Rides and based on what I've seen of other cars I'm afraid to try them …..

Are you doping ?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So is the new spec tire a large difference from the S-grip from previous years? Trying to get this class going locally but the spec tire is pretty well sold out everywhere.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Today i had my second race with the M08 and the car was a blast to drive, TQ and win in every qualification and finals and had the fastest lap time of the day (although i was 0,1s slower then yesterday).
I was the only pilot who was able to run 20-laps.
I drove the car with 2 different sets of tires, the fastest set was S-grip at the rear and standard type tires in the front (grip level is medium to high).
Second set of tires was 0,1 to 0,2s slower and i used A-type tires at the rear and M-grip with glued sidewalls + 3mm on tire surface, with this set the car was very stable and gave me no worries about traction roll but had less steering when going into corners and little push on exit (throttle control in corners was essential)
Only option parts are 5mm alu wheel clamps, stabi in the rear and some blue screws&turnbuckles, very basic ;-)
setup was:
Front:
350 damper oil (with standard kit damper)
Soft Red spring (42168)
4° caster
1° camber & 1° toe-out
5mm wheel hex + 0,5mm spacer
Standard steering setup (as stated in manual)
Rear:
400 or 450 damper oil
Medium Yellow spring (42168)
1,5° camber
Soft stabi
2° toe-in (all spacers at the rear removed and 0,5mm added at the front rear suspenion mounts).
19T pinion (all the rest was running 20T pinions) (straight section is about 30m and speedwise i was on par with the other cars)
30.000 geardiff oil, this gave me the acceleration i wanted.
Body is a tamiya Mazda MX-5 with and without a small self made spoiler from an old spoiler :-)

Maybe if i'm able to post a picture of my car i will post it later on.
Congratulations,
great result! A friend of mine Tqīd also 2 weeks ago and won all three A-mains. He beat all our top 5 guys running M07īs for the first time, a great day (which I couldnīt attend). Next Weekend, Iīll have my second race with my M08 on black ETS carpet, we are 3 M08īs in a bunch of 20 Minis. Canīt await the action, and will give info here about our experiences. You wrote 4° caster, so you run the 4° caster block with 0° C-hubs from M07?

Kind regards, Matthias

Last edited by ruebiracer; 01-20-2020 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
. You wrote 4° caster, so you run the 4° caster block with 0° C-hubs from M07?
Kind regards, Matthias
I can confirm 4° caster block with 0° C-hubs. (Was trying to follow him without success, the blue M08 was on rails! And excellent driving as well.)
addicted2blue likes this.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Congratulations,
great result! A friend of mine Tqīd also 2 weeks ago and won all three A-mains. He beat all tour top 5 guys running M07īs for the first time, a great day (which I couldnīt attend) Next Weekend, Iīll have my second race with my M08 on black ETS carpet, we are 3 M08īs in a bunch of 20 Minis. Canīt wait the Action, and will give info here About our experiences. You wrote 4° caster, so you run the 4° caster block with 0° C-hubs from M07?

Kind regards, Matthias
Thx,
I'm using the kit supplied C-hubs. I've just used the 0° caster setting with the 4° front suspension mount/caster plate.
So far i have no issues with the M08 C-hubs and therefor i see no reason to change them with M07 C-hubs yet

There was another pilot with an M08 but didn't get his car the way he wanted and switched back to his M07.
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Thx,
I'm using the kit supplied C-hubs. I've just used the 0° caster setting with the 4° front suspension mount/caster plate.
So far i have no issues with the M08 C-hubs and therefor i see no reason to change them with M07 C-hubs yet

There was another pilot with an M08 but didn't get his car the way he wanted and switched back to his M07.
Thatīs how I plan for the weekend, M07 4° caster plate, but M08 C-Hubs with 2° caster. So this should give 4+2° caster. The small inserts give +2° or -2°. Canīt figure out how to assemble them without angle? (Other than to use 0° C-Hubs from M07). Durabilitywise, I havenīt cracked my M08 C Hubs yet, despite having some really hard hits in a could Training hall. Lucky me, so far.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello,
my m08 drives in the curves like a kanguroo...
Which suspension path / droop do you ride and where do you measure the dropp front and rear?
Thanks
Olaf
Old 01-27-2020, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Tried the settings of Addicted2blue yesterday,and the thicker diff oil and the good-old kit front tires (#50683) made my M08 run very well on the grippy carpet. There was a bit understeer at corner exit, what can be solved by going to more castor with the blue 4 degree plate.
The M08 is still very sensitive to droop settings. even a quarter turn of the droop screws can make a big difference.

Thx,

Old 01-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey,
which front / rear droop setting use you?
Old 01-27-2020, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by olafboot
Hey,
which front / rear droop setting use you?
This depends on your drivingstyle, and circuit. The m08 seems to like less uptravel at the front than at the rear. As start, I begin with the kit setting, and from that I turn the droop screws at the front 3/4th turn more in, and at the rear 1/4th out. Then you start the fine adjustment. Just try yourself, and check the difference.
Before you start with the droop, your grip and balance from the tires and springs must be 90% ok.
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Here my "little" race report from my second race with my M08. After 2 years we had the comeback of the greatest indoor track near my hometown, which meant black "ETS" carpet and a big playground for our cars. We were 19 Minis in the end, as 2 guys got sick. In complete we were 3 M08, and we shared our findings together to improve our results, still so many options to test on the M08! In the first 3 heats on Saturday I had my problem with more and more grip coming up, and my car "standing up" in some corners. I used the same tire set as in the last race, where i glued the outer edge of the S-Grips in front to cure the tendency to frip roll. This wasnīt enough on the black carpet. We had a special demand for minimal ground clearance of 6mm, which increased the danger, too. (This was intended to save the carpet from getting punched, there were a lot of holes created 2 years ago in the new carpet). I stiffened my setup from last time on dampers and springs: I went from kit Pistons and 600 Tamiya oil to TRF Pistons 3x1,0mm and 450/500 oil, which gave more damper resistance by better sealing pistons. For the springs I stayed with M07 blue in rear, on the front me and my friend Steffen used Ta07 black spring, which is in between the red and yellow M07 spring. Still I felt to have too much roll due to high grip on Saturday evening after 3 heats, and tested in the short free Training higher roll centres f/r to reduce the roll angle. Worked very well and I stayed with putting 1mm shims f/r on the inner camper links. Bonus was, that the car was also more agile in the left /right/ left combination before the straight. As it worked good, my friends agreed and used the same roll centres on the 2 other M08īs. I made my way to the A-final, although I was not totally happy with my setup so far. I felt I couldnīt push my car enough to the limit. But after 3 heats, I was 7th start place, with 7 sec. distance to the 3rd place, so we all were quite close after 5 minutes and in the same lap. After 5 heats I went down to 8th starting place, my friend running MWB and Mx5 body was going better up to 3rd starting place. He won the 1st final, and was very happy. I was hopping up to 5th place, after some fights, which didnīt make me faster. I now renewed my glue on the sidewalls, which helped a Little in the second final, but I got stuck in the traffic and had some good fights with an M07, where we changed positions, but in the end it meant 6th place. My friend got 2nd, against his all time rival and friend. In the third final I glued the sidewalls even more upon the first half of the tire tread, and rechecked my droop adjustments and equalized it out. In the 3rd final I could now push my car very hard to the limit and it was total fun to drive. Should have done that much earlier, just had too much fear, that the car would get too pushy by gluing so far up. Idiot. On the end of the run I was running on 4th position with my friend behind me, as he was going too hard in the chicane and pushed me out in the barrier, so I lost time and one lap until the marchal could help, argh. Remember, itīs just a hobby. I finished 6th overall and was very happy, as there some very good drivers before and behind me.
Sorry for the long writeup, but it was so much fun. I made a setup sheet, as there are still not too much in the web around. I also went from the 4 deg caster block to 5 mm after testing, together with 0° c hubs from M07. We found it to be the best combo for the conditions, together with 7k oil in the diff.
Kind regards and keep on running M08,
Matthias

Attached Files
rccartips likes this.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Forgot to add: My friend got 2nd overall.
Rough pic of the track:

my M08:

rccartips and RSCLIOS like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.