Like Tree416Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 12-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Black carpet setup

So anyone have spring and chassis setup Ideas for a tight black carpet track?
Old 01-02-2020, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
So i got a whole lot more time on my M08 this weekend. It drives like my old, open diff, stadium truck. I'll pick up a tire and spin the inside tire, and perhaps, even spin out.

I have the stock springs, carbon shock towers, and swaybars on the car. It was picking up the inside tire, and diffing out in many corners, so I ended up disconnecting the swaybar. That seemed to help.
What follows assumes you are on high grip (i.e. black carpet). As Dan mentioned, assuming the grip is there, try going up in diff oil weight substantially. I am up to 12.5k cst and I'm going to try 15k next time. Hook your sway bar back up and add a 1mm washer under the ball stud on the rear inner camber link mount. This will lower the roll center of the rear, reducing the tendency to "tip". Re-check static camber. Finally, try taking some droop out of the rear so the car does not pitch forward as much. This may take some steering away so do this last if necessary.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by last5liter
So anyone have spring and chassis setup Ideas for a tight black carpet track?
My current shock package that is working well:

Front: 350 cst / Red spring / Blue swaybar
Rear: 500 cst / Yellow spring / Blue swaybar

( Big bore m-chassis dampers 42291)
Old 01-04-2020, 01:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Just finished building my M-08, will be testing it on track next weekend.

it was a nice build to do, very well looking chassis imho.

I disliked having to drill new holes in the JWC body I was using as they came at a annoying edge of the roof now.

Also, if build according to the manual it seems the rear wheels are a bit too much to the back. I think it is because of the spacers D1 who according to the manual move the wheels a bit more to the rear. For now I just made my rear arches a bit bigger to accomodate. Maybe try to move them around.

Hopefully my way of installing it works well. Using a shorty LiPo and moved a bit components 42/58 weight balance now. Total weight with body 1300gr, since our TCS has no minimal weight going to test it this way first.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Agree, new rear body post positions are a drag. Did not like where they lined up on my Alfa either.

By my TCS race in April I hope Tamiya releases some update to the battery holder that can better accommodate shorty. Otherwise I’ll just tape them in
Old 01-10-2020, 04:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Raman
Agree, new rear body post positions are a drag. Did not like where they lined up on my Alfa either.

By my TCS race in April I hope Tamiya releases some update to the battery holder that can better accommodate shorty. Otherwise I’ll just tape them in
I installed my ESC in the battery holder, added some foam to fill it up. Should keep weight low and bring balance a bit more to the rear hopefully that improves the balance.
considering making a special 3D printed holder that I can install there.

With rear wheel instead of both spacers at the front I did one front, the other rear to get wheelbase right.

I really enjoy the ease of modifying the wheelbase with just 4 screws. Got a medium body, a long body now need to find a nice short body.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Should I buy an M08?
MatsNorway likes this.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rccartips
Should I buy an M08?
Itīs made for you Joel, I think you will not be disappointed! Itīs much lighter compared to M06, but still has great rear stability when setup correct. And itīs got a lot of off power steering too, without being unstable. And you can setup it in all 3 wheelbases, build quality is excellent (despite steering has to be shimmed). I donīt think you will be disappointed!
Kind regards,
Matthias
Old 01-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

For you Joel, it would be M04 version 2! Go for it
Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

The big setback is price... almost $200 here with no esc/motor/body and plastic shocks. Mini's used to be cheap
And the annoying position of rear body post.
Did you guys get it to go faster than your FWDs?
Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Itīs made for you Joel, I think you will not be disappointed! Itīs much lighter compared to M06, but still has great rear stability when setup correct. And itīs got a lot of off power steering too, without being unstable. And you can setup it in all 3 wheelbases, build quality is excellent (despite steering has to be shimmed). I donīt think you will be disappointed!
Kind regards,
Matthias
Originally Posted by Raman
For you Joel, it would be M04 version 2! Go for it
Old 01-13-2020, 08:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Had my first testrun yesterday on carpet, I was surprised with how much steer the car had. Had to heavily tune my dual rate down to control it. Played a bit with the springs and such. It is not easy to control for me yet, atleast not on carpet. Saw a few others who didn't have such problems so I know it is me and my setup that I have to be working on.

At the moment it seems mostly the initial steering of the car is a bit too much. I want to try to reduce that without reducing the total steering too much.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

What is your plan to fix it? thicker oil in the front?
Old 01-13-2020, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zanquis
At the moment it seems mostly the initial steering of the car is a bit too much. I want to try to reduce that without reducing the total steering too much.
Can you describe the rest of your setup? Maybe just where you differ from the kit setup. Are you running sway bars? Are you using a shorty pack? What motor?

I ask about motor because the TCS spec motor (Reedy 21.5 fixed timing) is rather heavy. I had been using a much lighter 21.5 and when I put the Reedy motor in it changed the handling of the car substantially.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

We use the Carson dragster3 16T motor and esc combo. 20T pinion as the highest allowed.
We don't have a minimum weight limit

I have my ESC installed in line with my shorty pack. It gives me a 43/57 F/R weight balance. have a long wheelbase

I am using red Tamiya springs front, blue at the rear. Combined with front blue stabilizer.

Front toe is still according to manual, rear toe is highest toe in setting. My feel is that this is where I need to play the most with to find the right balance between initial steer and the steering as I go through the corner. I am just not certain how much effect it will have.

A lot of my setup was based on setup sheets I could find. Looking for the general trend of what they had in common.

My setup isn't great yet, but it feels faster than my old M-05 atleast more alive and responsive. Maybe because I never had my M-05 running properly.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Today i had my second race with the M08 and the car was a blast to drive, TQ and win in every qualification and finals and had the fastest lap time of the day (although i was 0,1s slower then yesterday).
I was the only pilot who was able to run 20-laps.
I drove the car with 2 different sets of tires, the fastest set was S-grip at the rear and standard type tires in the front (grip level is medium to high).
Second set of tires was 0,1 to 0,2s slower and i used A-type tires at the rear and M-grip with glued sidewalls + 3mm on tire surface, with this set the car was very stable and gave me no worries about traction roll but had less steering when going into corners and little push on exit (throttle control in corners was essential)
Only option parts are 5mm alu wheel clamps, stabi in the rear and some blue screws&turnbuckles, very basic ;-)
setup was:
Front:
350 damper oil (with standard kit damper)
Soft Red spring (42168)
4° caster
1° camber & 1° toe-out
5mm wheel hex + 0,5mm spacer
Standard steering setup (as stated in manual)
Rear:
400 or 450 damper oil
Medium Yellow spring (42168)
1,5° camber
Soft stabi
2° toe-in (all spacers at the rear removed and 0,5mm added at the front rear suspenion mounts).
19T pinion (all the rest was running 20T pinions) (straight section is about 30m and speedwise i was on par with the other cars)
30.000 geardiff oil, this gave me the acceleration i wanted.
Body is a tamiya Mazda MX-5 with and without a small self made spoiler from an old spoiler :-)

Maybe if i'm able to post a picture of my car i will post it later on.
Markus and Raman like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.