Like Tree416Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 10-25-2019, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am guessing Tamiya went with this insert design because it was much cheaper than investing in a brand new mold for what is essentially the same part. If that keeps the price of the kit lower then great, but it complicates assembly and reduces durability. I can live with the former but the latter ends up costing me more in the long run. I dont know for certain that this is why Tamiya went this way but I cannot think of any other logical reason.

Hopefully they come out with an aluminum part or at the bare minimum a carbon reinforced version of the C parts tree.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The amount of design that went into creating a hole on the C hub to accept an insert with 4 caster, could have simply been applied to a hole at 4 On the C hub.

This is classic Tamiya over engineering a part.. intention is good but application is bad
gigaplex likes this.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

...you could get an M07, problem solved!

Okay, that was a joke, not meant to stir the pot (I love the mini class and all its iterations).
Old 10-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by eR1c
...you could get an M07, problem solved!

Okay, that was a joke, not meant to stir the pot (I love the mini class and all its iterations).
trouble maker lol
Old 10-25-2019, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Raman
The amount of design that went into creating a hole on the C hub to accept an insert with 4 caster, could have simply been applied to a hole at 4 On the C hub.

This is classic Tamiya over engineering a part.. intention is good but application is bad
Not sure if it is that as much as them just trying to control costs.

On page 26 of the manual there is a blank setup sheet. In the section for "Front" under "Caster angle" it says "2 degrees" next to "C5". C5 is the upright with the insert we have been talking about. Knowing that bottom plate that holds the inboard pins is 0 degrees they seem to have been going for a total of 2 degrees of total caster. This was not possible with any of the existing parts for the 07 so they had to make new ones. A new 0 degree bottom plate and reusing the mold for the upright was probably the easiest/most cost-effective way to get accomplish the design goal.

I'm actually interested in trying the 0 degree blocks for the 07 in combination with the 0 degree 08 bottom plate. It will add a bunch of steering that could be tamed with other suspension changes like the harder sway bar or harder springs. I'm currently using the soft red springs and the soft red sway bar in my carpet setup. From a tuning perspective I like a car where I am trying to take steering out rather than fighting to add it. Just a personal preference.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Ill be venturing down the 0 + 0 combo shortly as M07 parts arrive will let you know how it goes around tbe track
Old 10-27-2019, 02:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi M-08 fans,

I am from Germany and just registered to this forum, because I read you are discussing about the front c-hubs.

A few weeks ago I purchased a M-08 to build me a nice NSU TT, just for parking lots. I read this whole thread before and got some tips and tricks.
But what was still bothering me was the play of the king pin bushings. So I designed and printed a new c-hub which fits some ball bearings instead of the original bushings. It worked perfectly, no more play at this joint!

Now I read you broke some c-hubs at the bottom section, where the shells for the caster adjustment are inserted? Did I understood this correctly? So I thought, if you are interested I could upload my c-hubs to i.e. shapeways so you could order them from there.
I can also modify this bottom section to make it stronger. I can make a version to fit the hinge pin directly instead of these shells. Of course I would have to know a desired caster angle.

I think I can't upload pics with my first post? So I will post them later.

Best regards!
Mike

Old 10-27-2019, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

You can see the pictures in my album, I'm still not allowed to link them in a post.

Last edited by TheSlotracer; 10-27-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Delete screenshot, did not work
Old 10-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TheSlotracer
Hi M-08 fans,

I am from Germany and just registered to this forum, because I read you are discussing about the front c-hubs.

A few weeks ago I purchased a M-08 to build me a nice NSU TT, just for parking lots. I read this whole thread before and got some tips and tricks.
But what was still bothering me was the play of the king pin bushings. So I designed and printed a new c-hub which fits some ball bearings instead of the original bushings. It worked perfectly, no more play at this joint!

Now I read you broke some c-hubs at the bottom section, where the shells for the caster adjustment are inserted? Did I understood this correctly? So I thought, if you are interested I could upload my c-hubs to i.e. shapeways so you could order them from there.
I can also modify this bottom section to make it stronger. I can make a version to fit the hinge pin directly instead of these shells. Of course I would have to know a desired caster angle.

I think I can't upload pics with my first post? So I will post them later.

Best regards!
Mike
Guten Tag Mike,

Yes you are correct. The C Hub is splitting on the bottom. The breakage goes through the grub screw, because that area is very thin. When you are able to load pictures, you design would be interesting for us to see. I also think it does not hurt to have it available on shape ways.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us here. I've been wanting to address that bit of play too but it sounds like you were a bit more motivated.

If you send me a private message with the link and pictures I can post it for you.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

I'm trying to figure out if I made a rookie mistake in the build. I set the droop screws to 1.5mm above the arms but that really screws up my ride height. I noticed that one side do the arms are much flatter than the other though the directions don't really show a flat side; are these arms L/R specific? Are they upside down?

Also I thought I'd use my big bore shocks and they have yellow and red springs; I put yellow rear and red front; 32.5wt all around

i put in 15k for diff oil;

Old 10-29-2019, 05:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by irvinew
are these arms L/R specific? Are they upside down?

No, they are symmetrical. If you have different droop on each side, the screws are not even. I find it very difficult to measure this correctly. So just turn the screws until the droop is equal on both sides.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Mike, here are the pictures of your printed c-hubs. Sorry it took so long. They look nice. Where do we get them?

typhon92 likes this.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey no problem, thanks for uploading them.
the black one is the original, the grey one was printed from sculpteo.com.

I tried to open a shop at sculpteo and at shapeways but did have some issues with both. I mailed them but didn't get any answers yet. I will let you know when it works.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Well done! If you could make it with the caster angle would be great!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.