Like Tree139Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 09-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Donít hold your breath guys, I donít think he is the type to share his set up.

Last edited by Raman; 10-24-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Nothing major honestly. I threw almost all the aluminum bling on it, but the biggest changes are probably droop (I'll have to check what settings I have on it) but it is something you'll need to extensively play around with. Had some diff overheating issues using 20 million which cost me some time in the 2nd half of the qual/mains. I'll need to figure that out or maybe go back to a spool. Think I had 40wt all around for shocks. Mid wheelbase with MX5 body. The car works pretty well, it just suits my driving style being more of an F1 guy. Always struggled with the FWD minis.

Didn't spend much time on this car setup wise and removing front end slop, kinda wished I did, but I'll spend some more setup time on it early next year and I'm sure it will be faster. For now, I'm back to racing my 1/10th TC and some offroad.
Raman likes this.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
Yup - we definitely need your set-up details Dan!!!

Have been checking in on this thread over the last few months whilst I've been writing up a review article on the M-08 for a UK magazine, I received my 'sample' M-08 kit back in May - but have only been able to get out & run the car in recent weeks... for the sake of the review i'm running it in completely stock trim. My track is indoors on Primafelt GT (grey) carpet & I must admit i'm quietly impressed. So far the tendency (surprisingly) is towards understeer - even in 210mm (short) wheelbase. My only real criticism of the car is the lack of what i'd class as suitable (drive layout) shells out there (especially from Tamiya) - I settled for the '300R' (Lotus Exige) shell from 'Phat Bodies' - not really intended for the M-chassis (designed to fit the X-press M-TC) - but with some imaginary shell trimming I think it looks OK
Looking at your name you might be reasonably close to me? Do you race at West Bridgford?

My M-08 is on its way at the moment, currently running an M-07 so looking forward to trying the 8, already have a HPI BMW 2002 waiting for it!
Old 09-24-2019, 09:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Daaaveee View Post
Looking at your name you might be reasonably close to me? Do you race at West Bridgford?

My M-08 is on its way at the moment, currently running an M-07 so looking forward to trying the 8, already have a HPI BMW 2002 waiting for it!
Hi - I'm actually from a little further south (Northants) - I own a VW Derby - hence my username - but have raced a few times at West Bridgeford (& do the Mid East regional series).

I raced the M-08 again last Friday - at my local club (Kettering) - we run the same grey carpet as West Bridgeford. Whilst we do allow different on-road classes to run - the predominant class last week was 1-10th TC - I was the lone Tamiya 'M' chassis car in the qualifying - but was joined by an M-07 in the finals when the driver broke his new touring car. Adam's M-07 is a well sorted car & is laden with upgrades - my M-08 is 100% stock. I had been trying some of Adam's tyres during the heats but resorted to using the treaded Pit Shimizu tyres (Soft rear & Hard front) in the finals - when the grip comes up, these seem to give a good balance between rear end grip & front end bite. It certainly isn't as easy to drive as the front drive car & you have to have your wits about you when accelerating - but in the end our quickest laps were just 1-10th sec apart (in favour of the M-07). The good thing is that I can see there is loads of scope for improvement - the kit supplied springs are not only too soft, but also too long - so you end up putting the spring in compression when setting ride height & pre-load - affecting L/R rate.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Renault R5 on M05ra is being rereleased. I just want the body, to put on my M08.. Iím thinking TCS Concours 2020 entry
Old 10-23-2019, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Front uprights on this car are it’s official week point. The decision to make it with the insert has made for a very weak upright. There is very little material on the bottom and one tap and it breaks.. I just fixed the left side and right side broke within one lap.

One mistake I may be making is that I am drilling the hole out for the grub screw.. which is weakening it further. Looking at the manual, it does not say to drill it out!

I'm going to try the M07 version which are solid. I don’t know what the caster angle is on those but they will have to do.

Last edited by Raman; 10-23-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
One mistake I may be making is that I am drilling the hole out for the grub screw.. which is weakening it further. Looking at the manual, it does not say to drill
The manual does call out a 2.5mm hole drilled for the grub screw. Upper left hand corner of page 13 near step 25. I am thinking that NOT drilling well could actually put stress on the part in that area from the grub screw spreading it out.

That being said I have broken a few myself. And I agree it is the weakest part of the car. Light contact can cause them to break or develop hairline cracks that introduce suspension slop. It’s really my only complaint about the kit other than the omission of sway bars, which I feel like are an absolute must for anything other then lower grip asphalt.

They make a carbon reinforced upright for the M-07 that appears to be a close fit. Part # 54810. I haven’t tried them yet but a quick comparison makes it look like the only difference is the way they used the hinge pin inserts on the m-08 version. I’ll take some good measurements and post any geometry differences if anyone is interested.

The car is really fun to drive. Always puts a smile on my face.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Youíre right it is there!

This evening I ordered the M07 carbon reinforced. Caster angle would be the only issue I can see.. M08 is 2į.. not sure of M07s
Old 10-24-2019, 02:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt View Post
The manual does call out a 2.5mm hole drilled for the grub screw. Upper left hand corner of page 13 near step 25. I am thinking that NOT drilling well could actually put stress on the part in that area from the grub screw spreading it out.

That being said I have broken a few myself. And I agree it is the weakest part of the car. Light contact can cause them to break or develop hairline cracks that introduce suspension slop. Itís really my only complaint about the kit other than the omission of sway bars, which I feel like are an absolute must for anything other then lower grip asphalt.

They make a carbon reinforced upright for the M-07 that appears to be a close fit. Part # 54810. I havenít tried them yet but a quick comparison makes it look like the only difference is the way they used the hinge pin inserts on the m-08 version. Iíll take some good measurements and post any geometry differences if anyone is interested.

The car is really fun to drive. Always puts a smile on my face.
Yes, please post the measurements and differences. Thank you.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

M07 is zero degree caster, that's the reason why M08 has its own. All other Suspension parts are M07. Still hoping 3 racing or exotek make some solid aluminum ones. Why Tamiya chose such a weird design, is something I will never understand. From the first first look in the manual I knew I should order enough spare parts wit the kit...
Old 10-24-2019, 06:58 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

If you use the M07 front hub (0 degrees and more durable), you will need to use the bottom caster plate option from 4 degrees to 6 degrees. This will give you arm sweep angle to achieve the caster, which may or may not work for your driving style.

The M08 C-block has the stupid inserts for caster (giving 4 or 5 degrees), but retains the arm at a flat angle. The inserts are a weak point for durability and excessive slop.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

How many degrees of caster does the current bottom caster block on M08 have?
Old 10-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

0 degrees
Old 10-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
0 degrees
what about the kit plastic from M07? 4į?

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...asp?p_id=12428
Old 10-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

I think its 5 but don't quote me on that. Might have to dig thru the M07 thread. Tamiya makes aluminum option blocks from 0, 4, 5, and 6.
kometkamerat likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.