Like Tree447Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 07-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Nice info Raman, re typing information 3 times can be a drag for sure lol. This should help a bunch of folks out.

It's 2019 and Tamiya still can't get the steering system tolerances right eh... Sheesh.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525
Nice info Raman, re typing information 3 times can be a drag for sure lol. This should help a bunch of folks out.

It's 2019 and Tamiya still can't get the steering system tolerances right eh... Sheesh.
i cant figure it out either. The TRF kits come with these items and have proper tolerance. The standard kits come with hop up options that we pay for yet the tolerance is out to lunch
Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Finally was able to put car on track today! We went from un-drivable to very drivable quite quickly.

Initial set up:
front 35wt shock, red spring, -1,0 camber, 1,5 mm droop over ride height. 1,0 toe out
rear 50wt shock, blue spring, -1,0 camber, 1,0 droop over ride height, kit rear toe in, 5k diff

Changes made.
Front droop 0,5 mm over ride height. Raise front roll center 1,0mm spacer under ball stud on inner side.
Rear, increase camber to -1,5. Move shock from position 3 into position 4 on carbon tower.

Car became very consistent, was able to set laps between 17.4-17.6 consistently.

Tyres were type A with extra hard insert in front (new and not broken in) and hard insert in rear. Track was black CRC carpet.

No steering issues to report other than similar with RWD.. eg F1 and M06... carpet tends to draw car in a direction from time to time.. especially at start.

Overall, very nimble car. A lot more steering than M06... in fact my common error was early corner entry... M06 was lazier and slower.. this car is crisp. I did experience a lot of roll.. which will be corrected by adding stabiliser bars.. next acquisition. Overall quite happy with car. Next round will test with my fav Shimizu slicks!
eR1c, shmit 1, Aitutaki and 1 others like this.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman
I literally type this up 3 times with comments in line and each time it did not work. Very annoying. Ok I believe I solved the problem. For the steering arms, you need to shim the bearing not the arm!

On the arm that attaches to the servo, I used 2@ 6 x 0,1 mm shim. I placed them inside the arm and then installed the bearing. On left arm I only needed 1@ 6 x 0,1 mm shim. Yours may be different

On the bridge I also aded 2 @ 5 x 0,15 shims (three racing has halves). These were in addition to the 2@ 3 x 0,1 mm shims per the manual. I also coated the shims with Finishline Ceramic Dry Wax Lub (used for cycling)

At present all play is going from steering linkages.. the only play I have is from the plastic uprights
Thank you so much for your effort. i will try this out soon.

And yes, the plastic uprights in the front are also a weak point for this. maybe Tamiya will release an alloy part, as for the rear somedays.... 3racing have them, but they are not TCS legal for sure...

Old 07-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Initial set up:
front 35wt shock, red spring, -1,0 camber, 1,5 mm droop over ride height. 1,0 toe out
rear 50wt shock, blue spring, -1,0 camber, 1,0 droop over ride height, kit rear toe in, 5k diff

Softer springs and oil in front? I knew that the FWD Minis like this setup, I wasn't aware that this is a thing with RWDs as well. Probably would never have even tried that..
Old 07-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DirkW
Softer springs and oil in front? I knew that the FWD Minis like this setup, I wasn't aware that this is a thing with RWDs as well. Probably would never have even tried that..
Yep, the M08 seems to like softer springs at the front. We tried the other way with blue front, but that gave too much on power understeer. On medium grip asphalt we now use the very soft kit springs on the front and red rear, when the grip increase we use red front and yellow rear. For the moment soft stabi's front and rear, but we are still testing that.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DirkW
Itís essentially similar set up I used on my M06, Always with thicker shock oil and stiffer spring in the rear and medium to soft shock / spring in front.

The weight bias is in the rear.. if suspension is too soft, it wonít rebound well. Front needs to be softer than rear for steering. On M06 I ran front medium and then when I started to race F1.. I was advised to set it up butter soft for more steering. I later applied that to the M06 and Iím now using it on M08.

After yesterday I was tempted to go back to medium set up as the front was rolling too much. But Iím going to hold off until I add stabiliser bars first
Old 07-19-2019, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Got your call Raman, -sorry I missed you ...yesterday was so busy it was a blur.
--
Thank you for your assessment of the M08, sounds like you guys are taming it (something that was really difficult w/ the M06).
My son has been racing my M07 (and my Euro truck), so I may have to get an M08 soon so I can get back into racing Mini. Hard to explain why, but Mini is still a favorite class of mine.
Wish/hoping that Tamiya will release some M08 kits w/ bodies like they did the M05 and M06's, ...yet probably not going to happen since the M07 was never released w/ a body.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
Hard to explain why, but Mini is still a favorite class of mine.
Wish/hoping that Tamiya will release some M08 kits w/ bodies like they did the M05 and M06's, ...yet probably not going to happen since the M07 was never released w/ a body.
Mini is short, narrow, and heavy. This makes minis work more like real cars. 1300g for a mini, versus 1350g for a USGT car? Short arms also mimic the suspension of real cars.

I like how the mini's drive too. A lot. I'm on my sixth mini....

The M05, and M06 are still current production models, as I understand it. The M07 and M08 are... for us racers, who want ~good~ cars that are minis. I suspect, that means, we will never see M07's and M08's that come with a brushed motor and a TBLE-02.

Maybe it'll happen. I don't know if Tamiya listens to the outside world.
eR1c likes this.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

is it possible to install longer wheel axles on this kit? I don't mean longer swing shafts, just the part with the threaded shaft.

I need to modify a M08's width to fit the porsche 911 gt3 vip cup body. I have some idea on how to extend the wheelbase but i am stuck on the width part.

I know that it is designed for a TC chassis as the XB porsche gt3 comes with a tt01e chassis but I want it to take the body and put it on a MR chassis.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:40 AM
Tech Addict

It would be easy to 3D print some arms. You just need to find some drive axles that would have the correct length.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:41 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

i want to give you an update on my first Race with the M-08 last weekend
Long story short: i ended up in last place

It was really a struggle to find a perfect setup for this car.
It was that tricky to drive, until i ended up with (like erc) M-Grips with soft inserts in the front and S-Grips with hard inserts in the rear.
This was more or less driveable. But i missed some steering compared with the Type-A or S-gripp trires, but it was the smoothest solution.
In our Infield i lost most of the time.

in my final A main i was able to drive mid 26s to low 27s.
The winner, driving an M07 -as all other 6 competitors - was able to push high 25 to mid 26s

Any Idea how i could get more steering in the front with M-grips mounted?
I already tried following:
No shims in the rear to minimize the toe in.
white springs front, red in the rear, to get most of the traction to the front
dampers higest position in the front, lowest in the rear

But i think i have to go back to Type A to get more competitive.
At the moment , using Type A in the front makes the car to unstable. one lap is fast, the next one the car spins out when accellerating...

this was ny track and car, but 3 days earlier and not with my final setup
As you can see, slow turns in the inflied needs more grip in the front

But i am already setting my car up for the next race, i wont give up
I now woll try LWB instaed of SWB
Rinskie likes this.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

WOW, -nice looking track!!
Aitutaki likes this.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Very cool track!!

Aitutaki.. Iím assuming you did not experience any rear grip issues.. even with taking our rear toe?

Things to try:
1. Front toe out.. on F1 I run almost 3į in front
2. Change roll centre in front
3. More droop in front
4. Last .. add weight to front

i think LWB will cause you to have less steering.. and youíll end up adding more weight in front
Aitutaki likes this.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

my suggestion was, that LWB will give me a more stable car. but this might mean, that it ends up with less steering.

But thanks for the additional ideas, I will try these out and let you all know
@ front rollcenter : this might be difficult to lower it, how shall I do this ? I'm just asking because I think I am not able to edit the roll center due to the fixed plastics...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.