Like Tree139Likes

Tamiya M-08

Old 07-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

Great review.. keep them reviews on the M-08 coming ErikJan.. I'm in the proces of buying an M chassis. Not sure yet what chassis to buy. Used to drive a M-05 ver2 and liked it very much. Think that a M08 will be a challenge to drive and get it dailed...Thanx
Old 07-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My screws just arrived,so I can build the M08. Yay! (I order hex head screws.... steel ones are cheap.)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:47 AM
Tech Adept

Update, and not a nice one.
Shorty LiPo is NO direct fit. The 4/5mm holes are complete covered by the side holders. No way to get the plugs in in a normal way. Only a low (22mm) LiPo could be connected with some force.
Looks like the shorty lipo concept had not been landed at the Tamiya design offices.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Was reading tcs rules and it states that you cannot use parts intended for one car on another, but if they are basically the same part, for example m06 aluminum rear hubs on an 08, is this acceptable. Not trying to find a speed secret, more or less trying not to spend so much money, and use what I have haha.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrLesac View Post
Was reading tcs rules and it states that you cannot use parts intended for one car on another, but if they are basically the same part, for example m06 aluminum rear hubs on an 08, is this acceptable. Not trying to find a speed secret, more or less trying not to spend so much money, and use what I have haha.
Technically no. Most of the parts for M07 can be used for M08. M06 is a different series.. so TCS rules would not allow it.

I havent looked close enough .. are the hubs close?
Old 07-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman View Post

Technically no. Most of the parts for M07 can be used for M08. M06 is a different series.. so TCS rules would not allow it.

I havent looked close enough .. are the hubs close?
have not verified, but a quick glance they look very close.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MrLesac View Post
if I recall correctly, the M05/M06 rear hubs have toe built into them and the M07/M08 hubs have none. All the toe is at the inner rear suspension arm mounts.
rippen and eR1c like this.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just my 2 cents. Maybe that is all it will be worth. I got my M08 built except for the electronics installation. In looking at all of the parts on this chassis vs the M07, I think the 08 is better engineered and easier to work on. The steering is more secure to the chassis, and I think the mid-motor will be a benefit over the M06. I built it with most of the available hop ups but used the steel screws. I'm interested in seeing the weight with a normal weight body (MX-5). I just need a good base spring and oil set up to get this on the track. Black carpet will be my first run in another two weeks. Looking forward to driving the rig. I committed. I sold all of my other minis, so no backing out now
eR1c likes this.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:56 AM
Tech Adept

Another 150+ laps, about an hour tracktime. Still the m08 is about 0.4s off the m07 laptimes, but now much easier and consistent.
The front stabi is an improvement, as is some thicker diff oil (5k).
What worries me is the slop/play in the steering. After every tight corner you must make steering corrections due to the play. We tried the usual tricks like glue on the posts and shims, but the result is limited. Best solution will be to flip the servo, and connect the steering links direct to the servosaver. We will do as soon as the Bparts will be available, because a modified brace must be made.
eR1c likes this.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ErikJan View Post
Another 150+ laps, about an hour tracktime. Still the m08 is about 0.4s off the m07 laptimes, but now much easier and consistent.
The front stabi is an improvement, as is some thicker diff oil (5k).
What worries me is the slop/play in the steering. After every tight corner you must make steering corrections due to the play. We tried the usual tricks like glue on the posts and shims, but the result is limited. Best solution will be to flip the servo, and connect the steering links direct to the servosaver. We will do as soon as the Bparts will be available, because a modified brace must be made.
did you install o-ring between ball cups and rod ends? That will take play out of steering as well.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Update, and not a nice one.
Shorty LiPo is NO direct fit. The 4/5mm holes are complete covered by the side holders. No way to get the plugs in in a normal way. Only a low (22mm) LiPo could be connected with some force.
Looks like the shorty lipo concept had not been landed at the Tamiya design offices.
For what it is worth, using a shorty LiPo pack in the M07 seemed like an after-thought to Tamiya too. It doesn't work w/o some slight modification (namely including foam or something on each end so it fits correctly). There are some parts on ShapeWays that are a nice fix to this issue, yet I doubt they are TCS legal. Also to balance a shorty pack in the M07 also presents problems as the battery holes are lined up w/ the chassis brace.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

got to race my m08 this weekend, outdoor asphalt, med grip. mostly just a test and tune. the car is light, I had a shorty pack, sweep 40/33 tires, and a lightweight MX-5 body. Had to find 140g (had to use a 8300 full size pack for the main to pass tech.) TCS trim will make 1300g easier. car has lots of potential and is already close.

eR1c, I just double side tape my shorty batteries in for the M07, stays put and makes offsetting the balance easy. For the M08 I just use double side tape on the bottom of the battery in the center section of the chassis. 2 pieces up against the plastic chassis on either side. prevents the battery from sliding out (also using the recommended foam piece in the battery area, shown in the manual)
eR1c likes this.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:52 PM
Tech Adept

Hy Guys,

After driving my M06 from 2012 to 2013, and switching back to M05 in 2014 for some racing ambition reasons, i now decided to buy this RWD M-Chassis too, as i am a M-Chassis addicted guy
So i could not await to build and testdrive it.

After a lot of Laps i realized, that the Shorty Lipo let the M08 spin out during acceleration, and a full size lipo is way better to drive. I guess that is the reason, why they did not myke a design for shortys...
I switched to Full size, but the only big issue with this car is the bad steering.
Or better: it will not return to neutral. Thats why after some turns you have to carfully speed up , and this will be a disadvantage when fighting against M07....

and fnally i can run my 210 Mini Body Shell again on my M08 thats great

rccartips, MatsNorway and eR1c like this.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

I would like to hear more about tuning and how it is to drive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.