Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Best 190mm GT Touring Car Chassis Kit – Aluminum or Carbon

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

TC7.2 or a mildly used T4 would both be great options, there are enough people running them at norcal or even speedworld that parts support or setup help should never be an issue. Nothing like being at a race breaking a part and not having that one spare part in your bag, nothing at the shop and no one else running the same car as you...
belewis01 likes this.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looks like Nor Cal is racing on road next 2 Sundays in a row - pending weather. 3/31 won't show on the calendar yet, a bunch of locals just started to put it together today.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01
Looks like Nor Cal is racing on road next 2 Sundays in a row - pending weather. 3/31 won't show on the calendar yet, a bunch of locals just started to put it together today.
If I'm not working, I'll try to make it...tho, it might have to be later in the morning. As for my search, it's looking more & more like the TC7.2 might be the "smartest" choice, especially when comparing price, quality, and availability of replacement parts from the LHS. The poorly written manual for the Tamiya TA07 Pro is what's holding me back, and a as for the Schumacher Mi6 Evo & Mugen Seiki MTC1, I really like both, but availability of replacement parts could be "problematic". Just to be certain, I'll be checking with Eric, Dakota, or any of the other guys at the shop. Just curious, but what are other people'' thoughts on the Schumacher Mi6 Evo & Mugen Seiki MTC1, especially in regards to quality?
Old 03-26-2019, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

The TA07 pro's manual is poorly written? That's.. an interesting opinion. I had no trouble building my car off that manual. What trouble did you run in to?
Old 03-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nerobro
The TA07 pro's manual is poorly written? That's.. an interesting opinion. I had no trouble building my car off that manual. What trouble did you run in to?
Didn't "run into" any problems, as I haven't purchased anything, yet. I downloaded the build manuals for each of the vehicles I'm considering, and looked them over. There are great manuals, poor manuals, and anywhere in-between. To me, compared to the other choices I'm considering, the Tamiya TA07 manual is poorly written.

Having just spoken (in-person, literally, less than 10 minutes ago) to two different people, they both were in agreement. Again, having spoken to a couple people, combined with comments made in this thread, as well as some others (on this forum, as well as on another forum), it seems that, based on price, quality, durability, and build manual, the Associated TC7.2 & Yokomo BD9 are my best choices (even though both are slightly more than I wanted to pay). Adding local replacement parts availability, the TC7.2 would be the winner. However, knowing that AMain topically has a huge selection of replacement parts for Yokomo, that brings its possibility back up.....

So, it seems, at this point in time, to be between these two - Team Associated TC7.2 & Yokomo BD9. Pros & cons of each, anyone?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:16 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I'm partial to the Yokomo but don't have any experience with the BD9. Seems Yokomo finally got a car just right lately (xray clone but with high quality Axon shocks).

Associated in my book is ok, quality maybe on par or slightly less than Yokomo (most likely less). Can also break some parts if you're not careful with the heavy boards at Norcal. I know you ruled out X-ray but it is the toughest and longest lasting car out there and a known platform for setups, etc. If it had to be between the TC7.2 or BD9, I would definitely choose the BD9 over the 7.2.

That picture of the track brings back memories. That is my blue S2000 in the pic.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:53 PM
Tech Addict

So...things have taken a very "interesting" turn (and, yes, I'm ready for some "Told ya so" comments to be posted). After a lot...and, I do mean a LOT...of reading (don't ask, but I'll say 4-figures worth of various forum posts, almost 600 of which were just in the USGT thread), I've decided to go in a different direction. Although it will take me an extra couple of weeks (you know those things called "bills" that need to be paid) to figure out the extra money, I've decided to go with..........

The XRAY T4 2019

Yea, I know. Previously, I explained how it was out of my price range (thus the "extra couple of weeks" comment). But, after reading things posted in here, in the USGT thread, in a couple other threads on this forum, in a couple threads on another forum, and after talking things over with a few other people (that last one is what really helped me make the decision), certain points really started making sense.

First, although the price is higher, and replace parts might cost more, based on what others have said/posted, replacement parts should (not saying 'would', only 'should') be needed less frequently. Second, the TC7.2 is a bit on the 'aging' side (I'd be willing to bet Associated is at least 2/3 through developing the TC8)...and, as for the BD9, while it's an excellent chassis (one of the local team drivers races one), people (especially locally) still aren't overly-familiar with it, so determining the best setup for the NorCal track would be "problematic".

Getting back to the T4, for one thing, it's a proven design (even taking the 2019 changes into consideration). Additionally...and, something pointed out to me...considering it's a newer design (compared to the TC7.2), it will have a longer "useable" lifespan, and it will give me a greater opportunity to learn all the "ins & outs" of it. In other words, I'll have more time to "play around" with setup changes, and learning how to dial it in for different tracks, should I take it to a vastly different (such as a carpet) track.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

LOL! In 6-7 months time the 19' will be replace with the T4 20' or perhaps T5, so you better get to buying. Point is, get over the idea of "aging" or "outdated." I run a T4 18 and find it to be just as competitive as the 19'. I also use the A800x(17' spec) which has been replaced with the EVO, MMCX, etc. and find it to be just as fast. Just get a car and get on the track. You can go over every detail with a fine tooth comb all you want but until you start driving/racing, you're just observing and missing out. At some point you gotta take the initiative and learn for yourself like the rest of us. Get in on the fun already.
Dan and iTz Nicholas72 like this.

Last edited by trigger; 03-31-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by trigger
Get in on the fun already.
I am, I am. You just have to understand that I'm they told of person who prefers to thoroughly research things before spending money. I've been this way for most of my life, and I'll probably be this way for the rest of my life. When you're a "half century, plus" (even though there's still a "kid" inside), you are fairly well-set in your ways for certain things, and that won't change.