Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Can anyone sum up R/C racing in the past 8 years? >

Can anyone sum up R/C racing in the past 8 years?

Can anyone sum up R/C racing in the past 8 years?

Old 02-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Can anyone sum up R/C racing in the past 8 years?

Been out of the loop for 7-8 years now. Stopped racing actively around 98 or so. Can anyone sum up some of the major highlights in the sport in the last 8 years in terms of products and racing. Specifically electric touring cars.

Is my stuff totally outdated?
RS4 pro
Airtronics caliber
Reedy Tri Sonic modifieds
Novak Cyclone esc
2000 cells <-- I know these must be outdated lol!
Tekin bc12 charger

What is this 19T I keep hearing of? Is 19T the new "stock" class??

Thanks guys
looking forward to getting back in it.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Addict

your ESC and charger should be ok. tekin is back in full force now so you can probably just get updated software for it.

i dont see anything wrong with older radios as long as it works, but some people need the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles. your call.

the newer chassis' available are purpose built race car versus parking lot racer of the day like the Pro. so if you are planning to race it depends on how serious the people you race with are.

you'll most likely want some new cells and motors.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

dump the rs4. I have a xray fk 05 for sale. If interested leme know if you need it for carpet or asphalt. I can set it up either way for you .. 250.00 plus ship

oh ya with some extra parts also
Old 02-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Tech Rookie

I don't even know what an X ray is fella...

I will stick with my old radio and electronics. Batteries are a given. There is a 19t class at my local track, so before I buy any new motors I have to find out what the deal is with classes.

I will probably invest in a new chassis. What are some of the best full out racing chassis'? If it matters, it would be for carpet racing. Preferably a team/factory type kit with all the goodies and tuning options. Haven't done any reasearch, looking for some direction first.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

yeah tekin is "back in force" and can upgrade the software on your charger - the lastest software version is H31...

I dug out my old 112a - sent it in, got the software update and now it rocks

batteries and chassis are the biggest change in the last 8 years...and actually they are the things that (seem to) change week-by-week

find a chassis you like and can drive and you'll be good to go for a while...If you can wheel a car (and not interested at running at a national/regional level) your current car may be able to "hang" with the new stuff...But its worth a try to save a couple (hundred) $$ when you're getting back into it
Old 02-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QUASAR
I don't even know what an X ray is fella...

I will stick with my old radio and electronics. Batteries are a given. There is a 19t class at my local track, so before I buy any new motors I have to find out what the deal is with classes.

I will probably invest in a new chassis. What are some of the best full out racing chassis'? If it matters, it would be for carpet racing. Preferably a team/factory type kit with all the goodies and tuning options. Haven't done any reasearch, looking for some direction first.

Thanks
The FK05 from Xray is a great choice and has tons of support. It has won many races and is alot cheaper because they just released a new model, but the FK05 is still one awesome car...Still winning races all over.
The 19T class is the new stock....
for motor sellection..
I like the Reedy Quad Magnet 19T motor...looks like a flame
or the Trinity Camillion 2
Howard Hudson is a gret seller and would send you exactly what you pay for...
Plus he will include spares for $250.00 that is a steal.
Now as far as batteries go...You can get great deals on the internet. Fusion has great three pack deals as well as Pro Match Batteries.
If you have to have the best. I vote EA Motorsports for batteries and motors.
Hope that helps...
-Shookie <><
Old 02-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by k_bojar
yeah tekin is "back in force" and can upgrade the software on your charger - the lastest software version is H31...

I dug out my old 112a - sent it in, got the software update and now it rocks
What is some of the new technology in charging? What will I be able to do that I can't now? Is this a "must do" to work with newer batteries?

Thanks for the responses so far everyone
Old 02-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Remember flex charging? Thing of the past. The new Nickel metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries don't like it. Linear charging is the way to go. BTW, NiCads are also ancient history. Also the peak detect must be set much lower, maybe lower than you charger can be set to. Today's cells have much higher voltage and far more run time than anything you've ever seen. That should be your first upgrade.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jiml
Remember flex charging? Thing of the past. The new Nickel metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries don't like it. Linear charging is the way to go. BTW, NiCads are also ancient history. Also the peak detect must be set much lower, maybe lower than you charger can be set to. Today's cells have much higher voltage and far more run time than anything you've ever seen. That should be your first upgrade.
Good info. I was looking thru a catalouge the other day and noticed almost all batteries are NiMH, and was like WTF?? I wonder what Tekin would charge to do a re-flash to my charger?

I was just looking at the x ray T2, looks sweet. Is that the new top dog?? Must be a newer company, because i've never heard of them.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QUASAR
Good info. I was looking thru a catalouge the other day and noticed almost all batteries are NiMH, and was like WTF?? I wonder what Tekin would charge to do a re-flash to my charger?

I was just looking at the x ray T2, looks sweet. Is that the new top dog?? Must be a newer company, because i've never heard of them.
If you already have a power supply this charger is the best for the $$$
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML
And yes the T2 is teh newest model out.
It has won many races and is easy to drive.
But for the price you can get just as good a car with the FK05....Lots of guys still love theirs.
Hope that helps...
Oh if you don't have a power supply
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm
again best for $$$
-Shookie <><
Old 02-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
If you already have a power supply this charger is the best for the $$$
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML
And yes the T2 is teh newest model out.
It has won many races and is easy to drive.
But for the price you can get just as good a car with the FK05....Lots of guys still love theirs.
Hope that helps...
Oh if you don't have a power supply
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm
again best for $$$
-Shookie <><
Thanks for the links. I already have 2 power supplies so I think i'm good there. $125 isn't bad for a fully featured charger, I think I paid $200 for my Tekin back in the day. What ever happened to the TurboThirty? I see there are now engine dynos? I have to bring my laptop with me to the track?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Welcom back.

I'm just getting back into racing myself. I was split between X-ray and the Corally RDX. Both are great on carpet, I just happend to choose the RDX and love it. Parts availability (on-line stores) and support is awsome. Cheaper stuff, but just as competitive include Losi & the TC4.

Even if you don't have the cash, check out this stuff for the advances in RC technology:
3800 - 4200 cells
Spektrum DSM radios & Novak synthesized receivers
Brushless motors - Novak, LPR
Lithium bateries

Have fun
Old 02-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oh, right. and the Competition Electric's Turbo 35

http://rcvehicles.about.com/od/rcbat...LRcet35gfx.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

oh yeah, and tamiya won some championships in electric tc .
Old 02-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Go with SMC batteries, they check them at a 30 amp discharge rate not all of them do this and it makes a differance. There race packs are great and you will not be sorry. The IB cells 3800 are the best to get right now. The 4200's are not legal for ROAR right now but I am sure that they will soon.

The 19t is not a stock motor. It is a modified motor class that everyone has to run a 19 turn motor. Some of the motors have fixed endbells and some you can change the timing on the endbell. Check to see what the guys are running first.

The X-Ray or the Corraly RDX are the two best cars on the market today. The X-Ray is harder to get parts for and the parts a more expensive. Both are great cars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.