R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Stock motors

So what's the hot stock motor now for Sedan on-road? I have only been running handouts mototrs & haven't kept up with the newer stockers. P2K2, Green Machine, Monster Stock? Thanks.
Rick Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:47 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Rick,

A lot of guys around here like the Monster, but I personally think the P2K2 is the way to go. Has a little bit of everything...

Rob Love
Old 12-05-2002, 09:57 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Default P2K2

RBLove;

Have you found any DOGS in your experience with the P2K2?
The first one that I bought just wouldn't keep-up no matter what I did. (tuning, gearing).
Got a Monster Stock to replace it, and WOW what a difference. (same tuning, gearing as P2K2)

popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:00 AM   #4
Tech Elite

I've had pretty good luck, but I've also only ran the Pro-Match tuned P2K2. I did find 767's to work best. I usually run the "E" brush, but for some reason I get better results with 767's with that motor.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:10 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Default P2K2 tuning

RBLove;

Yea, I tried all of the different brushes and not really any difference. (4499E, 767, 769, 766) Always looks good at inspection time but just doesn't make any power.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:18 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Hmmmmmmmmm. I've not heard that. I think you are moving in the right direction with the Monster. Most of the guys around here are moving more towards that motor to. Must be doing it for a reason.

One thing is for sure. The trusty ole blue end bell is always a good choice
Old 12-10-2002, 02:52 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Default glitch with monster motor

Hey, have you guys have any glitch problems with your monster motor. I have been having glitch problem with mine. I don't have glitch problem with any other motor. Can any one help me out.

E-volo
Vue Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 03:55 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool motor

I love my my p2k2, but I know alot of guy's who like their MVP's..I am personally waiting for the new Cobalt from Reedy to come out in January

I heard MVP's can be a little difficult especially if u don't know how to set up properly but hey I think that kinda goes for any motor.

ciao for now
Blain
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 04:02 PM   #9
Tech Regular

I have had good results from the Hellfire, have seen some screamin GM3's, and I think this Monster motor might be great for on road with a big track, especiall if you are running a front one way, because it doen't have alot of drag brake.
Pit Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 05:03 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

right now, i'm having great luck with the copper can p2k. it just doesn't get hot. i was running the mvp based motors (mvp, hellfire, core stock) and they run ok, but just get too hot for my liking even when geared correctly. most guys here are running the p2k2. a few gm3's are out there, but not too many. the monster stock is pretty new, and not too many have even tried it here. i've heard nothing but good things about it though. i've also seen a few of the integy matrix stocks fly, but i don't remember which one they were. probably just confused things further, but that's my $.02.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 05:50 PM   #11
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I switched back from GM3 to a p2k2 a couple months ago. I've been running it since.

Rick - I think you pitted next to me last Jan at the USTC.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I have an Iintegy matrix torque version, and it is weird. Has tons of drag break, lots of RPM, but cant get it to be fast in my truck. I am going to through it on a friends dyno to check it out, but I have tried a range of gearing, and can't get it right.
Pit Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 06:38 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Default Glitching Monster

E-volo;

1) Don't solder any EXTRA capacitors on the Monster. This can cause a glitch.
2) Brushes are usually the next suspect. Inspect them for anything unusual.
3) Check the Circuit board on the endbell for damage or a broken solder joint somewhere.

Other than that, if all of your other motors have worked fine, I don't know what else to say.

PS; I am assuming that your Monster is in Good shape and not in need of maintenance.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:20 AM   #14
Tech Master

racerb

Don't hold your breath for the Cobalt. No one will build it, so rumor has it that it will not be made. It's really unfortunate, since that would likely have changed the world of stock motor racing in a big way. The MVP is not that hard to get working well. It gets really hot and a lot of racers feel like they are gearing it wrong and eventually give up on it. As long as you gear for the track and inspect the brushes and comm to make sure you have it sprung correctly and geared correctly, it's probably the best stock motor on the market. It's definitely a lot more work to get the most out of it than a P2K2 is.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 01:21 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking That's funny???

That is kinda funny cause i follw another forum quite closely and the cobalt is built they are just testing...unfortunately it is being built overseas and reedy is having trouble getting through to them..but it is built and they say it should be out January or Febuary....Hey no-one can believe everything they read but it is nice to hope and dream...
Ya I don't like the thought of my motor getting as hot as what an MVP does so I will stick to mine...which I would like to clarify cause I made a typing error, mine is P2K copper can..mine also does not heat up very much and I love it

ciao for now
Blain
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote