R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Ceramic bearings (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/103820-ceramic-bearings.html)

tunnelhead 02-27-2006 10:46 PM

Ceramic bearings

I am looking to get some feed back from people that have used ceramic bearings. the usual pro's and con's. Notice any differnce? One guy told me he switched to ceramic bearings. Ran his car and it acted like it had drag brakes. It freed up the more he ran it> Finally he pulled it down cleaned the bearings regrease them with his special oil and then no proble. Anyone ever experence that. Thanks again for your input!!!!!!!!

tunnelhead 02-27-2006 10:48 PM

Forgot Accer or Boca or any others out there? Speedtechs????

XingXing 02-27-2006 11:09 PM

i bought some acer. i a bit dissapointed. the bearings for the diff holder, the seals were not great. dirt got inside the bearing.

i say save your money and buy regular metal bearings for 50cents each, and change them every few months.

tunnelhead 02-27-2006 11:15 PM

I guess on thing good about the Acer bearings are the Acer chicks. Man they are smokin hot. It sure will keep me comingback to the their sit and look forward to there advertisements. Wait, maybe that is on purpose, to keep you distracted. LOL Thanks X

MR JOLLY 02-27-2006 11:35 PM

forget ceramic ones unless you can get them cheap
they don`t take knocks very well & for the price they are you might aswell get cheap metal ones & replace more often

sounds good when you showing off to your mate`s `oh i got ceramics in mine!!`, what you got in yours blah blah blah:

tunnelhead 02-27-2006 11:43 PM

Its not sounding to good for ceramic bearings.

TDO 02-27-2006 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by tunnelhead
I am looking to get some feed back from people that have used ceramic bearings. the usual pro's and con's. Notice any differnce? One guy told me he switched to ceramic bearings. Ran his car and it acted like it had drag brakes. It freed up the more he ran it> Finally he pulled it down cleaned the bearings regrease them with his special oil and then no proble. Anyone ever experence that. Thanks again for your input!!!!!!!!

Hi. If you wanna use ceramics then go to valavala. I bought ceramcis for my 415 for 50$ (drivetrain 14 pieces) and they work just fine. They are metalshielded but he also has rubbershielded ones. He can be found on ebay and is located in macau. And I am from the netherlands so no worries about being ripped off or problems with shipment.

Marc

syndr0me 02-28-2006 01:04 AM

You can buy ten bearing in any given size for the average price of one ceramic bearing. Try avidrc.com, and get a pile of metal shielded bearings for your car, and replace them the second they don't run like new. Ceramics might make sense in some applications, but in a touring car, they ended up being entirely too fragile.

MAD916 02-28-2006 05:01 AM

We agree in the small scale T.C. we use them in the dif supports only. The wheel bearings take too much abuse..... replace with metal chepos when they start to go......

On large scale cars they are the difference between night and day. just get removable seals so you can service them.... the "zz" at the end of the part number usally means removable metal sheild.

hugovdb 02-28-2006 05:50 AM

if you ask me.. go for the BOCA bearings.. they are awsome, smooth and maintainance free..

-Hugo

koabich 02-28-2006 06:00 AM

Your best bet is to do a search. There are countless other threads that discuss this topic.

Couple of things too keep in mind:

When talking about bearings that plastic seals need to be broken in. So for the peoeple out there that say they ran Acers or ran Boca and the bearings were not free spinning...that is because they were not broken in. For some reason people have a hard time running 10 packs or so to properly break then in so they are automatically crap. Keep in mind that the more you run these bearings the faster they get.

Also, if you go the Acer route, their bearings now come pre-lubed with their SIN bearing oil instead of a thick grease. My opinions are mixed on this but now they will be faster out of the box which is what most people care out.

Metal sheilds will be the fastest right out of the box but also have the least protective seal...not good for carpet IMO.

One other thing you'll hear people in this forum say is that ceramic balls will shatter. Honeslty, if you impact something hard enough to make a ceramic ball shatter, that very same impact would also destroy any other kind of bearing regarless of what it is made of. In 5 years of running Acer ceramic bearings, I've never had to replace one single bearing...yes this include wheel hub bearings!!

Now keep in mind there are terrible ceramic bearings out there so buy a good brand. Stay away from $40-$70 sets as these will most likely be a waste of money! My recommendations are Acer, Boca or Yokomo (same as the ones speedtech sells I beleive). I have used these in the past with good results. Plan on spending at least $90-$100.00. I think Acer has a sale going on right now plus they have free shipping anywhere in the world so you save $5.00 there as well.

Good luck

HB 02-28-2006 06:02 AM

TDO
can u give me the site for the ceramic? :sweat: please

mafiaracers 02-28-2006 10:01 AM

www.acerracing.com

koabich 02-28-2006 10:13 AM

If you want cheap, inexpensive bearings valavala is good. They do have a lot of hard to find sizes.

Honestly, you would be better off spending $50.00 on good steel bearings than $50.00 on ceramics from there.

If you are looking for performance and quality, I would look else where.

But in their defense, they do have incredible pricies, excellent customer service and fast shipping. I used to buy all my 415 parts from them!!

H.Nilsson 02-28-2006 11:06 AM

Hallo Best bearings is SQUAT PRECISION GOLD ask the pros in team tamiya!!!
i have them in my yoke bd and its awsome how it spinns :tire: :tire: :tire: