Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eR1c

Fdr recommendation

Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Fdr recommendation

Hi, I am super new to rc racing and the hobby in general and with the help of several people Iíve gotten a chassis and most of the general stuff and knowledge I need. So Iím here to ask a question regarding fdr, Iíll be running 1/10th on carpet my tracks rules are 21.5t and zero timing esc. As of the current moment I have a 108 tooth spur on my chassis and no pinion yet. What fdr should I be trying to get on carpet with the info Iíve given? With that in mind should I go down a few teeth on my spur or get a large pinion? Your help is very much appreciated
Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by okami125 View Post
Hi, I am super new to rc racing and the hobby in general and with the help of several people Iíve gotten a chassis and most of the general stuff and knowledge I need. So Iím here to ask a question regarding fdr, Iíll be running 1/10th on carpet my tracks rules are 21.5t and zero timing esc. As of the current moment I have a 108 tooth spur on my chassis and no pinion yet. What fdr should I be trying to get on carpet with the info Iíve given? With that in mind should I go down a few teeth on my spur or get a large pinion? Your help is very much appreciated
Check your pm's dude, a lot of variables.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by okami125 View Post
With this info, you are most likely running USGT. Depending on the track size you will probably start with an FDR of 4.4 down to a 4.0 range.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Most of the stock motors i have tested have great power and efficiency between 8-10000 rpm. If you can gear the car so that most of your time is spent around this rpm you will generate the least amount of heat and have the best power. That is very low rpm.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Highly suggest you go to the track and see what they are running for FDR. There is carpet tracks where I'm 4.60's then others where I'm 4.10s, I'm always changing pinions when the layout changes to find that perfect punch. Some people like the tall gearing for the straightaway where they can setup a pass on the sweeper (if there is one) some prefer shorter gearing so they can get under someone on entry and try to beat them out of the corner.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Checking with others you race witu will give the best info. There’s such a wide range in trac sizes and layouts what works for one, might not be best at another.

One thing I struggled with for the first year is what pinion/spur combo. FDR doesn’t give the whole story. There are multiple ways to get the same FDR. Think one chart I looked at had 9 ways for 64p. And 6 for 48p. You can easily have the right FDR, but the wrong pinion/spur combo, and car won’t feel right.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

I ran USGT with an FDR of 3.8 and made small adjustments from there depending on how technical the track was.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Checking with others you race witu will give the best info. There’s such a wide range in trac sizes and layouts what works for one, might not be best at another.
+1

-And WELCOME to RC RACING! We are happy to have new drivers join the club! I hope you find it to be a blast, be patient you'll learn a lot from going to the track and racing.
Bry195 likes this.