Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is there anyway I can wirelessly transmit ch 3 >

Is there anyway I can wirelessly transmit ch 3

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gigaplex

Is there anyway I can wirelessly transmit ch 3

Reply

Old 01-30-2019, 02:48 PM
  #1  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Earth
Posts: 38
Default Is there anyway I can wirelessly transmit ch 3

Is there anyway I can wirelessly transmit ch 3 from my rc car to a trailer?
RandomUserName is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,848
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Without additional information on what you are trying to do, it will be hard to respond to your request for help. At a minimum you would need some type of separate receiver with a power source in the trailer to process commands.

On older AM and FM receivers that used crystals, it would be easy to control 2 separate receivers at the same time as long as they were on the same frequency. In this scenario both receivers would operate in parallel. This was the main reason R/C facilities back in the days of AM/FM had frequency boards so that you would know which channels were in use on the track or flying field. If 2 r/c transmitters were in operation on the same frequency it could cause the vehicle using that frequency to fail/crash.

I'm not familiar enough with newer 2.4 ghz ground transmitters to know if you could bind AND control 2 receivers simultaneously. A quick internet search might yield some results if this possible or maybe someone reading this forum will have an answer.

----------

Assuming you are going to be hauling a trailer with the r/c car, the easiest solution will always be to extend the 3rd channel from car's receiver to the device(s) being controlled in the trailer. A simple servo extension cable could be used as those have both male and female ends on them. This option could be used as a quick release connector, but it would have to be done manually.

----------

Again depending on what you are trying to achieve, a separate radio system might be a better option. If you want something as simple as turning a light on or off, you might be able to find some cheap Chinese wireless item that could be modified for that purpose. For example, you can find cheap battery operated candles with led lights that have basic remote controls. You can also find cheap battery operated holiday decorations that also have remote controls. As an idea, you could find a cheap battery operated strand of christmas lights that are remote controlled and wire the side markers on a trailer. Usually these devices run on AAA batteries, but some of the smaller strands (for doll house or christmas villages) may run on watch style batteries.

----------

Hope this information helps.
IndyRC_Racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:55 PM
  #3  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Earth
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Without additional information on what you are trying to do, it will be hard to respond to your request for help. At a minimum you would need some type of separate receiver with a power source in the trailer to process commands.

On older AM and FM receivers that used crystals, it would be easy to control 2 separate receivers at the same time as long as they were on the same frequency. In this scenario both receivers would operate in parallel. This was the main reason R/C facilities back in the days of AM/FM had frequency boards so that you would know which channels were in use on the track or flying field. If 2 r/c transmitters were in operation on the same frequency it could cause the vehicle using that frequency to fail/crash.

I'm not familiar enough with newer 2.4 ghz ground transmitters to know if you could bind AND control 2 receivers simultaneously. A quick internet search might yield some results if this possible or maybe someone reading this forum will have an answer.

----------

Assuming you are going to be hauling a trailer with the r/c car, the easiest solution will always be to extend the 3rd channel from car's receiver to the device(s) being controlled in the trailer. A simple servo extension cable could be used as those have both male and female ends on them. This option could be used as a quick release connector, but it would have to be done manually.

----------

Again depending on what you are trying to achieve, a separate radio system might be a better option. If you want something as simple as turning a light on or off, you might be able to find some cheap Chinese wireless item that could be modified for that purpose. For example, you can find cheap battery operated candles with led lights that have basic remote controls. You can also find cheap battery operated holiday decorations that also have remote controls. As an idea, you could find a cheap battery operated strand of christmas lights that are remote controlled and wire the side markers on a trailer. Usually these devices run on AAA batteries, but some of the smaller strands (for doll house or christmas villages) may run on watch style batteries.

----------

Hope this information helps.
ok thank you!!
RandomUserName is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:37 AM
  #4  
Tech Apprentice
 
haagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 98
Default

Some radio systems will work with all the receivers that are bound to them at the same time. I know futaba does this. So, you could have a second receiver with only channel 3 connected in the trailer.
haagar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:34 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 2,464
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by haagar View Post
Some radio systems will work with all the receivers that are bound to them at the same time. I know futaba does this. So, you could have a second receiver with only channel 3 connected in the trailer.
That depends on the receiver. The telemetry ones (T-FHSS) bind to a specific model.
haagar likes this.
gigaplex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:09 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,285
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

What signal are you trying to pass? if you have a trailer, you can do inductive... you can setup a 433mhz radio pair. You can do IR, or even "actual light". You could do contacts as part of the hitch.
Nerobro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:03 PM
  #7  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Earth
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
What signal are you trying to pass? if you have a trailer, you can do inductive... you can setup a 433mhz radio pair. You can do IR, or even "actual light". You could do contacts as part of the hitch.

The problem is that the 3 channel reciver is in the car that will be on the bed and not the towwer vehicle and I can't switch out recivers because on size.
RandomUserName is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:31 PM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,285
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You're burrying the question. Or.. to phrase it another way, you're asking for the solution that you think you need, instead of presenting the problem you're trying to solve.

What are you actually trying to do? If I were to guess, you want to control a lift tailgate, or a release mechanism of some sort, so you can drop a car off a trailer?
Nerobro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:16 PM
  #9  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Default

Use a second receiver bound to the same transmitter.
ic-racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM
  #10  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Earth
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
You're burrying the question. Or.. to phrase it another way, you're asking for the solution that you think you need, instead of presenting the problem you're trying to solve.

What are you actually trying to do? If I were to guess, you want to control a lift tailgate, or a release mechanism of some sort, so you can drop a car off a trailer?
COrrect.
RandomUserName is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:31 AM
  #11  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,285
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

So, here's how you do it. You pick up a timer (there all over ebay) You put two metal contacts on the bottom of your car, two metal spring contacts on the trailer bed. Setup a r/c switch, or esc on channel 3 on your car. To trigger the "get down" sequence, you trigger that ESC on you rcar, the signal goes to the bed of the trailer, and it will start the controller.

I'd be looking at a PLC, or an arduino to do the job, but a landing gear retract system might do the job too.

Assuming you have control from the tractor too.. you have a lot of options there.
Nerobro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:53 PM
  #12  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 384
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
So, here's how you do it. You pick up a timer (there all over ebay) You put two metal contacts on the bottom of your car, two metal spring contacts on the trailer bed. Setup a r/c switch, or esc on channel 3 on your car. To trigger the "get down" sequence, you trigger that ESC on you rcar, the signal goes to the bed of the trailer, and it will start the controller.

I'd be looking at a PLC, or an arduino to do the job, but a landing gear retract system might do the job too.

Assuming you have control from the tractor too.. you have a lot of options there.
interesting i see where you are going with this.
faqcya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:51 AM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,285
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You could do a lot of things. With a PLC (or arduino..) You could have a car based signal, do a whole cascade. Servos to drop the trailer jacks, flash hazard lights, drop wheel chocks, lower the ramps, tip the trailer bed, and then hold... waiting for the car to come back.

I mean, if that's your goal. :-)
Nerobro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 AM
  #14  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Earth
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
So, here's how you do it. You pick up a timer (there all over ebay) You put two metal contacts on the bottom of your car, two metal spring contacts on the trailer bed. Setup a r/c switch, or esc on channel 3 on your car. To trigger the "get down" sequence, you trigger that ESC on you rcar, the signal goes to the bed of the trailer, and it will start the controller.

I'd be looking at a PLC, or an arduino to do the job, but a landing gear retract system might do the job too.

Assuming you have control from the tractor too.. you have a lot of options there.

Ok thanks. I figue something out along tnose lines
RandomUserName is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service