R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nomaak
Default TOP Stockers: Lost cause?

Hey all! i have a quick question regarding the Hellfire/Core stocker. I understand these motors make a lot of good power, and a lot of bad heat. People say they're fast, but these same people i check out in the pits all have EPICs in their cars for the main event. i've read that there's only ONE way to tune these puppies and that's with the narrowed brush method. (is this true?). i've aquired a number of these motors for free. off-road these things are great (but for the main i still rely on my P2K copper-head), but using those things in touring yeilded horrible results. slow...slow....slow!
are these motors worth the trouble to find that "hidden" power......or should i just chunk 'em all and go with the Co or the KOS?
nomaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As always, it's a matter of opinion, but after running the Co27 for myself now, I think that & the new Integy are THE motors to have right now. I also got a chance to dyno both last night on my Robi, & both have powerbands VERY much like the Reedy MVP & TOP-based Core/Hellfire motors, but they barely even get warm after a complete run in touring cars, & a cuple of us have already used a good range if different gear ratios(some even taller than I would've wanted to do), but all of them are looking like the day they were made, comms are in pristine condition. I think we finally have the motors that do what Reedy, Orion & Peak wanted to do but without any of the disadvantages of those older motors. Personally, I'd reccomend going that way....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
Tech Addict

thanks bud! i've seen the arguments on-line for a while despite what Big Jim says (R.I.P.), these YOK/TOP are NOT competitive in the stock arena. matter of fact....the last time i've seen one of these mills in a fast guy's car was at the on-road nats about 3 years ago.....and he HATED the thing.
But he won the stock title tho.. LOL!

guess i'll give these motors to the new guys at the track. maybe now they can toss their RTR mills for ROAR mills.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Nomaak... Todays newer motors KOS 27 and CO27 both make as much or more power by far than the motor your asking about. The newer motor do have a better heat tollarance as both new style motors run MUCH cooler than motor mentioned as there built to suite the new high voltage cells of today. The new CO27 with red springs and full face F-brushes or 767's with hole will give you a large smile,dirt will be flying to Craps pits....

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Tech Addict

thanks tag! LOL! i'm sure tim would love that! so that's the combo your drivers used last nite at goldsboro! haven't been on the carpet there in a while but there was nothing new to report....except i acually made an A-main! . gonna take a lotta work to get on the same lap as laurie, jimmy, and justin! i got one of your motors from chris in high point, but didn't have the cells to push it. but next time i go there, i should have 3 new IB 3800's to play with.
but yeah, that KOS (cuz) looked good in cashes car last month. he let me try it and WOW!!! my TOP/YOK arms have all been scrapped now. the cans and endbells have now be re-fitted for protruck duty! (tim would love that too! )
Old 02-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I heard Tim was working on a Solar powered car...

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote