Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
tamiya f104w not driving straight >

tamiya f104w not driving straight

tamiya f104w not driving straight

Old 01-19-2019, 01:36 PM
tsd
Tech Rookie

Default tamiya f104w not driving straight

I have a Tamiya f104w chassis- wolfe wr, I use it on a large decked area in the garden, with foam tyres. In stock form it tended to veer to the left when driving straight, I thought the servo and servo mount might be the weak link and upgraded these to aluminium and digital servo, at the same time I have put carbon reinforced front arms and alumium sevo horn, with upgraded f104w gp type steering links , but this hasn't solved the slight veer to the left. I thought it might be the decking which is uneven in places , but there is a slight veer on a flat table top as well.
Should I try to alter the tyre toe angle of both front tyres( angle them inwards) or is this slight veer to be expected on this chassis and this to be corrected by the steering- any suggestions as to what I could try, to solve this.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try checking the diameter of the rear tires if same. If tamiya servo saver, it has slop, need to remove that slop.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You might start with making sure that the caster angles are equal on both front wheels. There is also the possibility that the left front wheel assembly is a bit tighter than the right. Perhaps there is something wrapped around the left spindle causing it to drag. Be sure that the left front tire is the same circumference as the right. Make sure the steering trim is centered on the transmitter. The list goes on.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:52 PM
tsd
Tech Rookie

Hi thanks for your reply, yes I think the diameter of the rear tyres are the same, as I had the same problem with the original Tamiya rubber tyres- I changed to foam because the rubber tyres allowed the lower chassis to hit the decking edges-, The servo saver is the upgraded aluminium type- Tamiya hop up.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:04 PM
tsd
Tech Rookie

I forgot to check the transmitter steering alignment - I ll do this tomorrow, I'll check diameters of the front foam tyres aswell, will I need to use a foam tyre truer to make the diameters the same if uneven.
regards.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

T-plate. Make sure it is straight and not damage. The T-plate can have stress marks that do not show up.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tsd View Post
I forgot to check the transmitter steering alignment - I ll do this tomorrow, I'll check diameters of the front foam tyres aswell, will I need to use a foam tyre truer to make the diameters the same if uneven.
regards.
When you "0" the steering trim you may find that it will be necessary to re-adjust the servo arm back to center. As far as the tires go unless you can install a brand new set I would say you might have to true them. Before you do that but after you ensure that the trim is correct, swap the tires from side to side and see if it pulls the other direction. While the tires are off make sure there isn't any debris wrapped around the spindles and the bearings are spinning freely.

A close inspection of the T-plate is an excellent idea as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:56 AM
Tech Champion

Also check the motor/sensor wires so they do not bind up the suspension. Be sure they give enough space to move freely