Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fermanracer
  • 2 Post By rccartips

RC12L3O That likes to spin around to the left under full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default RC12L3O That likes to spin around to the left under full throttle

Sorry if this is the wrong section but my problem is I have a RC12L3O Pan car that likes to spin around when I full throttle from any speed. I have foams on the front an rear, 30mm on the front and 50mm on the rear not sure on the shore the rear are bsr racing purple stripe and the front are yellow strip, hobby wing esc 2s or 3s Lipo, engine is a 17.5 t I believe not sure but it’s a Novak racing engine can’t find the exact engine anywhere. Think it’s a 540. Gearing is 38 teeth pinion, 93 teeth spur. Alignment is good checked everything, likes to spin around to the left every time I full throttle at any speed. I can fill throttle from dead stop it takes a second to wind up then it punches it then it does donuts. Thanks for any input. Also driving on asphalt
Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

rebuild your diff and make sure its smooth, check your bearings escpecially in the rear axle
hobbyten likes this.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fermanracer
rebuild your diff and make sure its smooth, check your bearings escpecially in the rear axle
bearings on right side look good an are their suppose to be balls in the holes in the spur gear wasn’t sure so I jus made sure everything was like it was before I disassembled it, haven’t checked beatings on left rear tire
Old 01-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds like the car is squatting asymmetrically when it accelerates hard. If there were bad bearings I would expect it to pull to one side constantly.

Put the chassis on a table so you can look at it edge-on, then compress the suspension all the way and release. Then lift the front of the chassis with the tip of a pen (or a really small hex driver) positioned along the centerline. If the right-front wheel lifts up first, add preload to the left-rear shock, and vice-versa. Then flip the car around and do the same test on the rear. If the right-rear wheel lifts up first, add preload to the left-front shock, and vice-versa. Do this a couple times until both axles lift off the ground symmetrically. This may not entirely solve the problem, but it should help significantly.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-19-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Tried that got everything even the right tire came up first when lifting and the left or right wheel did the same thing, had to add like 8 oz weights to get it even
Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

Wow, is there really a half a pound of weight-imbalance on your chassis? That would certainly cause uneven traction by itself. Can you relocate the electronics from one side to the other to compensate, rather than adding dead weight?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would recommend rebuilding the diff using the On Point video on youtube. It sounds as though you've not built one before since you asked about balls in the spur gear. I would also recommend the On Point video on chassis tweak.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

+1. I missed what he said about the ball diff. If it's not built right it will act really strange. And chassis tweak does sound plausible if he needs that much ballast to get his chassis balanced.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It is a chassis designed to make left turns around an oval track
RoyU and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

It’s a lto, so it needs good traction to accelerate in a straight line. If traction is poor it won’t go straight due to the huge % of left side weight. Also if you lift in the center the right rear should be 1/16 in the air before the left rear leaves the ground. It’s called wedge and helps the car work on the left turns. It should not be equal left to right.

We now run, 70-73% left side weight. If you turn right hard it may just roll over.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:57 PM
Tech Champion

Ah, I didn't realize the OP's car was specifically designed to turn left. Yeah, that does make a rather obvious difference in its configuration, not to mention it begs the question of why the OP bought it if he wasn't intending to drive it in the specific way it was designed for.