R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Soldering batteries - gap or no gap?

Hi,

I'm about to solder a new pack of batteries for my T1FK05. My question is, should there be a gap between the cells when I solder them? The last time I soldered cells for my T1FK05, I put a piece of thin card board between each cell, so that the cells fit into the gaps in the chassis...

Do I need to have a gap? Or can I just solder cells so that one is touching the one next to it?
D_o_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Put them in the car and shoe-goo them together but make sure the batterys are in the cell slots. Wait for it to dry (probably an hour or two) then solder them. Now you have cells which fit your chassis perfectly

Charles
Old 02-26-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via MSN to RcCzarOfOld Send a message via Yahoo to RcCzarOfOld
Thumbs up

Good tip Charles. I've been at this crap on and off for nearly 20 years and never thought of that.

Tony
RcCzarOfOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

I've been told that no-gluing is the way to go.. less chance to tweak you chassie... Any comments on that??
Old 02-26-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
Put them in the car and shoe-goo them together but make sure the batterys are in the cell slots.
Charles, where are you getting your Shoe-goo from, I have been trying our local model shops for over 4 months now, and they all say the same thing - the importers are not bringing it in anymore. They say it is now on the hazardous product list for customs. I really would like to get hold of some again, so any help would be appreciated.
Phil.
xraydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
ND
Tech Adept

Hey xraydad

Shoe Goo hasn't been available from Helger Racing in the UK for about 18 months now, they did have some issues with clearing it from customs I believe. Have you tried a sports shop or shoe shop, as it is Shoe-Goo??? Or try Fender Mender as that is similar.

Neil
ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I haven't used shoe goo before (i'm only saying what was on a website i found but it makes sense ), when i built my last battery packs i just used a deans battery jig and glue them together with tire glue then soldered them.

Charles
Old 02-26-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Shoe Goo is still available in canada but what i have been using for years is from Canadian Tire(store) its called GOOP-Automotive. ITs basically the same as shoe goo. Its made in the USA by Eclectic Products inc. Most automotive stores should have a shoe goo compatible product.

I also build my packs the way charles suggested. ITs the only way you will have 100% proper fitment into you chassis. Battery jigs are ok, but everyones chassis slots are different, everyone files there slots a little different and some dont file at all. The jig is consistant but it may not produce perfectly fitting packs for all cars.

Last edited by Joel Lagace; 02-26-2006 at 07:44 AM. Reason: more
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Lebatek

Shoe-Goo is a must-have for the RC racer. Use it on batteries AND on Lexan bodies in high-stress areas (body posts, front end, etc.). When putting on the inside of your body, be careful to put it on quickly where you want it and stop touching it -- it can attack the paint if you keep spreading it around too long. It will easily double the life of your body!

It's available at Wal-Mart, and either in the sporting goods section OR the shoe department (sometimes both).

Sponsored by: Team Associated, Reedy, Airtronics, LRP, and Mugen
Lebatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Smile

If you still can't locate any Shoe-Goo, try using a hot glue gun. I have been using this for years and have only a few problems with the cells coming unglued. It dries within seconds.

Kevin
KevinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinL
If you still can't locate any Shoe-Goo, try using a hot glue gun. I have been using this for years and have only a few problems with the cells coming unglued. It dries within seconds.

Kevin
Yeah, I used some shoo goo, but then I decided to use the hot glue gun...
D_o_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Hot glue works very well!! It does come loose occassionally, but it's very easy to fix- just put the pack in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or turn your can of "canned air" upside down and spray the glue where it released- then pop the glue out using needle nose pliers or your fingers. Getting it cold makes it harder and it will pop right off... then simply reglue.

One of the reasons hot glue works so well is that it's so easy to get off, yet it still offers some support to the cells as a pack. Also, when the pack gets warm from charging and/or running, the glue actually softens up a little and flexes. Plus, (my favorite advantage of hot glue) it dries almost as fast as CA glue!! No waiting.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote