R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2002, 11:07 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Is it the Driver, Setup, or Equipment?

Another driver has this argument that the setup is 70% driver is 25% and equipment is 5%.

I personally feel any pro driver could take an RTR out of a box and beat 90% of the drivers out there. Because of driving skill alone.

So what do you think is most important and why?

Last edited by ChristopherKee; 12-04-2002 at 11:15 AM.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:20 AM   #2
Tech Elite

ChristopherKee;

I agree 100% about the Pro Driver thing, I've seen it done before.

For the average person I believe that a Blend of all three is required. After 10+ years racing experience, a driver just instinctively KNOWS what to expect from a Car and how to react to changing conditions. (good enough to drive anything). For me, I need the blend. (only 3+ yrs Exp.)
A Good Driver can run faster lap times than a Rookie Driver. A Good Set-up allows you to drive that car fast. AND, Good equipment makes it easier to drive fast. Just my $2 on it.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-04-2002 at 11:28 AM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:39 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Since good setup's dont come in a nice pack in the LHS, I would count the setup-skills together with driver: 80% drivingskills AND setupskills, the last 20% are the equipment.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:44 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

The way I look at it is you can only be as fast as the vehicle will let you be.
Action-RC.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:56 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Default Unskilled Drivers

A Driver with barely enough skill to handle a Radio Shack car would be seriously dangerous with a 1/8 scale Nitro car. The same thing goes in reverse. Put that Pro Driver on the 1/8 scale track with a Radio Shack car, that is equally as dangerous. (could you imagine, a NEW class of racing for PRO Drivers)

Last edited by popsracer; 12-04-2002 at 07:09 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:20 PM   #6
Tech Master

I think the sponsored drivers should drive an RTR from there company in a special "race the pros" event... that would be fun (of course we non sponsored drivers get to use what we want)

At our local track we have alot of good drivers. Craig Xavier, Mike Dunnigan, Todd Lewis, Chester, etc... these guys will make you look bad no matter how good your setup is, or how good you batts motors are. When you watch them drive you know why. They take the best line for the track and do it EVERY lap.

This is what leads me to believe it's the driver more than the rest.

Not to mention an 8 year old kid name Josh Lyall who will put the smack down on most drivers with his hand me down built TC3 and second hand batteries still using the Tamiya connectors. (he's a good driver)

Last edited by ChristopherKee; 12-04-2002 at 12:31 PM.
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:24 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

That is kind of a loaded argument.

A pro Driver will be a good driver no matter really what car he has because he knows how to set a car up. So in part the setup makes the car/driver good but a pro will also know how to control a poorly setup car so it is driving. I would think that someone like Masami would do better driving with a good setup then he would with a poor setup. so Setup is more important.

You really can't compare driver to driver. You have to look at each individual driver in this case. Giving me a Pro car may make me faster but I will not beat the pros.

I personaly think Setup is more important because if my setup is off then I am not going to be a good driver. If my car is setup really good then I am going to be the best driver to my limits of driving.

I do disagree with the percenatages though. I would way at least 20% Equipment, maybe 45% setup and 35% Driver.

Good thread..
NitroRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:27 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Totally! The tendancy for people is to get the most hp stuff, but w/o control, there's no speed. Speed is important too, but if you can't control the car, smack and stuck in the boards while everyone pass you by, then what's the point?
Old 12-04-2002, 12:36 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Chris-

You race with some very good racers. I wish we had racers like that. But if those guys had cars that were not set up correctly would they still be as fast as they were with properly setup cars? I think they would be off the pace. That is why they are good and can drive the lines that they choose to drive because their setups allow them to drive those lines.

This is where it always gets stickey...you have to be a good driver to control a car and make it do what you want it to do but you need to have a setup that allows you to be that good driver.
NitroRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:39 PM   #10
Tech Master

If all things were equal. Batteries, Motor, Perfect setup for the track and the driver then what?

In this situation I know personally I could not beat any of the above mentioned drivers. Though I am a good driver, I do not posses the skill they have.

I do understand a good setup and motor/batteries etc. is important. But if you have no skill, all of that is not going to make you better. You will still be as good as you can be.

I do agree if you have better skills then your setup etc, then they will be holding you back. But a better setup does not make you better it only allows you to reach your potential as a driver.

Now, get them on a basketball court (where everything equipment wise is equal) I'll kill them.. Because I'm a better ball player.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:01 PM   #11
Tech Elite

I've seen guys with top-notch equipment driving badly. One of them blamed the importer of the car, for his bad result. That guy wont improve at all, befor he confess to him self, that he has to learn something about driving.

If I spend lets say double, what I've already spent. Well, maybe I would step up one level on the rank list in our club.

I've already worked a lot about setup. I've reached pretty good skills. But lets say I could double my skills. Maybe I would step up 2 levels.

But if I could double my practise time, I would go much higher. Especially with some kind of a teacher.

There's another guy at our club, which drives very good. His father got an LHS, so his car are way better than mine. He spend many hours at tracks and races. He drives very good. Even with a faulthy car. But he got temper. A lot of it. Thats why I sometimes beat him anyway. Because he cant stand the pressure, he lay on himself, if he makes an fault. Even a little one.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:09 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I think it also has to do with what class, touring cars are a lot more setup sensitive than electric truck. Just about any setup will work in elctric truck and a good driver with a bad setup will beat a bad driver with a good setup.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:30 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to -CriMinaL- |RC Send a message via Yahoo to -CriMinaL- |RC

A good driver should adapt to any car after a few races..

setup and the equipment helps u go fast and handle better but skills is what it comes down to
-CriMinaL- |RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:37 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know of people that owns a world class IFMAR spec track in their backyard, but even driving on it every single day for a year, they still aren't the fastest and get beat by guys that spend only several sessions setting up their cars. If you are praticing over and over again with the wrong setup, it does you no good. Knowledge of your own car and know how to set it up is very important.

Picture of this world class permanent facility.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:39 PM   #15

I've just been reading all the posts on this thread and most of you are correct in one way or another.....

As lightspeed said...

If you don't have the setup then you can't drive to your full potential (or something like that)

I'll give you an example....

We ran an Event in Aus on smooth concrete. Now this area has no traction at all and a traction solution was put in place to give the cars something to grip with. Now the only tire that would run was foams. Rubber would be all over the shot.

Now for the example. We had our number one national driver at this event as well as a HPI driver from Japan (can't remember his name but he ran third in the all Japan race this year). Both these drivers are use to rubber tires. Put them on foams and there car setups were all wrong and they had to adapte to the conditions.
But being the drivers they are they were able to make changes to there setup that helped them improve quickly. In the end they were both running in the A's (although still not as fast as some local fast drivers).

The driver can still be fast but because the setup is not right they will still lose valuable time fighting the car instead of driving it smoothly. Whilst slower drivers that have the setup nailed can drive at there limit.

So in short, I believe it is 50% driver and 40% setup and 10% equipment (although they could drive a RTR Cen fast). And even these %'s are still way out. The best drivers know how to adapt there setup to the conditions and how to do it fast. Any minor issue with the car they will drive around.

I hope this helps with the discussion.
teamhd is offline   Reply With Quote