200mm Bodies for SPEC 4-tec 2.0 racing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Razathorn

200mm Bodies for SPEC 4-tec 2.0 racing

Old 01-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 200mm Bodies for SPEC 4-tec 2.0 racing

4-Tec 2.0 is the biggest class at my local on-road track (USGT being a close second) and I'm thinking of getting three of these cars for me and my boys to drive. I used to do 17.5 TC, but straight TC vanished and my xray is long gone, but I was honestly floored by how well a freshly sauced 4-tec drove—once I cleaned/grooved up the carpet after a hand full of laps and throttle trimmed forward to get rid of the brushed motor drag brake, I was right at home and put'n passes on USGT folks in practice. To say I was impressed with the out-of-the-box performance is an understatement, and the price point and durability for a truly spec class everyone can compete in is just perfect.

NOW, what I'd LOVE to do is get the honda odyssey van body and beat up on some folks with a freak'n van, but I'd rather make an informed decision in regard to bodies that will be reasonably competitive aerodynamically. Protoform has guides for the 190 and 200mm TC bodies, in regard to their aerodynamic nature, but 4-tec spec racing doesn't really allow these "mazda because of stickers alone" type of bodies and requires a body that is somewhat scale accurate to a production car. I see M5s, M3s, preludes, civics, odysseys, and hell, even a freak'n AE86, but what I don't see is any sort of guide / idea / hint about their relative aerodynamic merits. I'm scared of getting anything that says drift because I would like some down force, but I'm come'n up short on info.

Can anyone provide some insight / reference for how to pick a body that doesn't suck for this spec class?

Thanks!

Wayne
Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, I suppose I should at least let others know what I found. I went with a 71 camaro body based on feedback from some VTA guys. It worked wonderfully—TQ'd my first round of qualifying and ended up 2nd in the A-main. You get people who know how to drive and this class is nuts competitive.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry about lack of response. Sometimes threads slip by with out being noticed. I do need to pick body for mine. Haven’t been able to get others to run yet. Going to try again when we start back in late May
Old 02-01-2019, 02:41 AM
Tech Rookie

I put a ProtoForm Ford GT body on mine. It is a little like the Traxxas GT body, but the Protoform version looks more like a GT class race car versus a OEM road car.
Detla Plastics is another good source for 200mm bodies.

-Liberty