Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By glennhl
  • 2 Post By theproffesor

Mounting TC Body

Old 12-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mounting TC Body

Hi all. I'm new to RC and decided on road seemed more challenging and interesting so I purchased the TC7.2. Any tips on mounting the body? Do I leave the posts as they come and make the mark for the hole that way? Or do I need to cut the posts down first?

Also, how do I find the center to cut the wheel well? I'm gonna put on a Protoform Corvette Zr1 body 190mm. I noticed there are dimples in the part of the wheel well that get cut off, but the rear & for dont line up evenly on the axles. I'm using the Protoform Crosshair magnet system and Raceform Wheel Well Cutter to help me out.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It takes practice. After 8 years I still struggle getting bodies straight. I do trim and do body holes before paint.

Its personal preference with trimming body post. I tend to use multiple bodies on same car, so trimming it’s usually best for me.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
It takes practice. After 8 years I still struggle getting bodies straight. I do trim and do body holes before paint.

Its personal preference with trimming body post. I tend to use multiple bodies on same car, so trimming itís usually best for me.
Thank you for the response. So, if I don't trim the posts and make the hole with them full size, will there be a change in their orientation when I fit the body and trim?
Old 12-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm with Mr Kelly, except I've been mounting bodies for over 30 years and still struggle to get them straight! I'm probably going to buy my next body from BittyDesign and it's going to be precut and drilled.
ZEe_NYC and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
I'm with Mr Kelly, except I've been mounting bodies for over 30 years and still struggle to get them straight! I'm probably going to buy my next body from BittyDesign and it's going to be precut and drilled.
Iíve had my eye on a few of their precut bodies. I asked if they would offer the Venom that way. They said no plans to.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I have always painted my bodies before mounting them. I leave unpainted circles in the wheel wheels or cut most of the wheel wheel out after Iím done.

Trim body to lowest trim trim line all the way around

cut body post to a reasonable highest higher than you think you will be using.

Put on the PF or other company brand of magnetic post markers. (This type of system is a must, and a very reasonable long term hobby investment)

Place the Gravity, or some other brand wheel well disk on the axles. (Again, another sound long term investment)

Place body on post, move forward, backward, left and right, until the body is where you want it. It wonít be at the proper height yet, but that will be later.

Mark the body with the body post magnets

drill body post.

adjust body post mounts to get approximate height. Err on the side of slightly lower vs higher. But only by a couple mm.

mark body using wheel wheel disk.

Cut it out wheel wheels. (Preferably a couple mm oversized at the front and back to avoid body tuck)

check your work. If itís entirely too low, raise one spot in the body post, if too high, lower 1spot. Make small adjustments by trimming if too low. But remember, once itís gone, you canít go back.

It it seems like a lot to do, but it actually goes pretty easy and quickly if you have the right tools for the job. But, if youíre trying to just eyeball it whith one shoe on, the opposite eye closed and tongue pressed just right into cheek, youíll monkey it up every time.

I struggled for a long time doing the eyeball method with mixed results. Bodies arenít exactly cheap, and some of us spend a good amount of time and effort painting them. Just suck it up, pony up the $$$, and get the right tools. Itís a one time purchase that will last you the rest of the time youíre in the hobby.

massenb203 and WalterBradford like this.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

Iíve had my eye on a few of their precut bodies. I asked if they would offer the Venom that way. They said no plans to.
Got 4 of their precut/pretrimmed bodies and they sure do make things much easier. Picked up a couple JP8's that I now have to mount manually (they announced the precut/pretrimmed JP8's after I ordered mine. Lol). Only down side that I can see with them is if you don't want to run them in the location they come.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

here are plenty of tools to find like magnets to find the center of the body post through a painted body and a stand to draw the wheels holes.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Old 12-26-2018, 12:27 AM
Tech Champion