R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default seperate battereis for servo...

look at surikans ride. hes got extra 5cell receiver pack to power his servo... anyone know how that works? you would need two recievers? one for the esc and one for the servo?

servo -> receiver 1
5cell -> reveiver 1
esc -> receiver 2

XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Servo-Channel 1
ESC-Channel 2
5 Cell-Batt/possibly channel 3

same as you would run in a gas car 5-cell equals receiver back.

thats how i've seen it done.
Charles Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Tech Regular

hmmm yeah but wont the ESC supply power to the receiver already from your 6cells?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XingXing
hmmm yeah but wont the ESC supply power to the receiver already from your 6cells?
Only if you switch it on. When you run a separate receiver pack you don't switch the ESC on, and the receiver pack powers the receiver and servo.
(when you switch on an ESC, you're actually turning its BEC on, the "drive section" of the ESC is already live and only waiting for a signal from the receiver)
Old 02-23-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to scmicromike

so if you have the reciever pack you dont need to turn on power to the esc in order to run the car? all you do is put on your transmitter and the car will run?
scmicromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nickmind

Quote:
When you hook up a receiver pack to your receiver, the receiver then turns off its BEC from use. Then ESC will not supply the receiver power.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmicromike
so if you have the reciever pack you dont need to turn on power to the esc in order to run the car? all you do is put on your transmitter and the car will run?
No you will need to turn the switch on, so the ESC can receive single from the receiver.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

For all the ESC's I've used so far, you do NOT turn the ESC switch on when using a separate receiver battery, you only turn on the switch between the receiver battery and the receiver, or if there is no switch there, just plug the RX battery into the receiver and everything will come on.

( I haven't used every speed control out there, so this info may not apply to some speed controls )
Old 02-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips
For all the ESC's I've used so far, you do NOT turn the ESC switch on when using a separate receiver battery, you only turn on the switch between the receiver battery and the receiver, or if there is no switch there, just plug the RX battery into the receiver and everything will come on.

( I haven't used every speed control out there, so this info may not apply to some speed controls )
My Bad, He is right. I have tested three of my ESC's you don't have to have the switch on. I don't know what i was thinking.

Nick
Old 02-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
look at surikans ride. hes got extra 5cell receiver pack to power his servo... anyone know how that works? you would need two recievers? one for the esc and one for the servo?

servo -> receiver 1
5cell -> reveiver 1
esc -> receiver 2

It's powering all of the electronics, not just the servo. There are often problems when runn low-turn mod motors that pull large amounts of amps. These motors often will rob power from the electronics and cause glitching
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmind
My Bad, He is right. I have tested three of my ESC's you don't have to have the switch on. I don't know what i was thinking.

Nick

so what would happen if you turned the ESC switch on? do you still plug the esc into the receiver?
Old 02-24-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
Tech Elite

If you turn the ESC switch on while a separate receiver pack is powering the receiver damage to the BEC in the speed control might result (according to the manuals I've read)

You still plug the ESC into the receiver's throttle channel, the ESC still needs the receiver signal to tell it how to operate. Just don't turn the ESC s3witch on.