R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2001, 01:14 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to 29TC
Unhappy CE Pitbull Charger

I have a problem with the charger.
I used to charge at least 5 packs a day with it.
It worked great for over 3 months until recently.
A friend started playing with the charging amp current setting and some how the setting just froze.
Now the Ni-Cad mode works fine but the Ni-MH mode adjustment current is set at maximum and cannot be adjusted.
Has anyone faced this problem? Is there a reset sequence or something ?
I have not contacted CE yet. Just wondering who else had this problem? Any input is appreciated. Thanks...
29TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 09:05 AM   #2
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Hi, Let me run you through this just to make sure it is accually stuck. Turn on the pitbull, and don't press anything untill it comes up as "PitBull Ready". Now press the CHARGE SETUP button, Press up untill you get to the NiMh mode. Then press charge setup again. The Chg Current screen should come up. Press DOWN button untill you get to the amp you would like to charge at.

If it is truly broken, and none of that works, call Competition Electronics at (815)-874-8001 Mon. through Fri 7 am to 4:30pm CST

Edit -

I just tried that with my pitbull, set Nimh to maxium setting, shut it off, turned it in... works fine..
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 10:39 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Thanks for your input.
I have tried shut-off and on again but everytime I go to the Ni-MH mode and press start, the charge curent just runs up to max and starts charging. I can't seem to change the current.
I guess I should just call CE.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:20 AM   #4
RCTech Member #2

Did you do what i told you to do? You need to EDIT the parameters... Don't just put it on Nimh & press start!

Turn on the pitbull, and don't press anything untill it comes up as "PitBull Ready". Now press the "CHARGE SETUP" button, Press up untill you get to the NiMh mode. Then press "charge setup" again. The "Chg Current" screen should come up. Press DOWN Arrow button untill you get to the amp you would like to charge at. I would suggest starting around 4.50 to 5.00 for 3000's.

Please let me know how that works..
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:25 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Troy-

I assume you've been using the Pit Bull for a while? I'm wondering how happy you are with the charger. I've recently been using an INtegy 16x5, and while I like it, it has one annoying "feature" that I don't like... it goes into a 150ma "trickle" after the pack peaks. Everything I've heard says that we shouldn't trickle the packs after peaking, but the 16x5 doesn't allow me to disable this trickle.

I'm considering switching chargers, and the Pit Bull is one contender... can you tell me how satisfied you've been with it so far? I'm also considering a Millenium Pro.

Thanks,

Trips
Old 10-20-2001, 12:09 PM   #6
RCTech Member #2

Trips - The charger is great, and i have had no problems with it yet. If you run Novak speed controls though, that might be a better choice with the built in "Pit Wizard"

It does have trickle lockout.

The only thing i suggest doing right when you get it is shut off most of the sounds. Don't use the telephone for the "Done" tone especially... Some people start looking for a cell phone.. Oops!

If you have any Q?'s just ask...
RCTech Member #2

Old 10-20-2001, 02:01 PM   #7
Tech Addict

TSR6--- I have tried what you have suggested. I can set the charge current in the Ni-Mh mode but once I press start, the charge current just goes to the max. I have a feeling that there is something wrong with the memory in the Pitbull.
Any other suggestions?
By the way, thanks.............

The pitbull was my favorite charger before it went nuts.
I used to charge my SMH cells at 4amp and repeak at 5amp. My batteries gave out great power and run time.
I hope my problem won't steer people away from getting this awesome charger.
Old 10-20-2001, 02:09 PM   #8
RCTech Member #2

Hmm.. Try this.. Go into the Charge setup, then change the amps like before, but let it sit for 5 secs before you press start. It might not be saving your settings, and reverting to the saved settings... When it says "Saving Settings" ...press start once it goes back to the amp screen

logg onto chat...
RCTech Member #2

Old 10-20-2001, 02:38 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TSR6: I'm one of those people who started looking for a phone!....LOL

The guy at the track had a Pit Bull and was out racing along with most of the other people who were pitted in that particular area. I hear this cell phone sound and start looking around. I even said "someones phone is ringing". Once I realized what it was, I kind of slumped forward and quickly got back to me pit area. Luckily, no one saw me or heard me about the phone ringing!

Your definitely right about people not using that particular sound.....especially in this day and age with everyone at the track having a phone with them.
Old 10-20-2001, 02:41 PM   #10
RCTech Member #2

Yeah, It was crazy.. He was mubling something about a sledgehammer as he walked away...

A definate no-no.. and with it being so small, I dont think he ever thought to look at the charger...
RCTech Member #2

Old 10-20-2001, 03:21 PM   #11
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thats another thing that got me about the first time I saw a Pitbull, the size. Those pics in the magazines don't do it justice. That thing is really small.
Old 10-20-2001, 06:34 PM   #12
RCTech Member #2

I know... Its about the size of a roll of tape..lol ( yeah.. i accually have it sitting on a roll of masking tape right now ).
RCTech Member #2

Old 10-20-2001, 10:21 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

The pit bull along with the turbo 35 is the ultimate combo.
slamminsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 10:34 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Unhappy

Ok, here is the shake down on my situation with the pitbull.

TSR6------ I have tried all your suggestions an to no luck. And furthermore, my pitbull is getting on my nerves. Now, in the Ni-mh mode, the up adjustment button is not responding. I can no longer increase the charge current and the delta peak setting. It only goes down but not up. And once I press start to charge, the current just shoots to the top and than it says LOW VOLTAGE. I have tried different power supplies, still no luck. The weird thing is that if I use the Ni-Cad mode, it works fine.

So, First thing on Monday, I'm calling CE.

TSR6-----Thanks for your help.
Old 10-20-2001, 10:44 PM   #15
RCTech Member #2

Sorry it doesnt work.

Is this all with the same pack? Try it with a different pack... Something just doesnt seem right....
RCTech Member #2