• 1 Post By Billy Kelly
  • 1 Post By simple
  • 1 Post By viking44
  • 1 Post By 1/8 IC Fan

Looking for F1 advice..

Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default Looking for F1 advice..

I already have a Tamiya F104 Ferrari F60. I've had it since 2010. My group of friends very recently decided they would like all to run F1 at our parking lot track. I'm of the mindset to have two cars for each "class" we run.

With that being said, I'd like to pick up a second F1. I'm not sure which to get in all honesty. I've been considering, but don't see much on the 3Racing FGX, and it looks interesting with it's independent suspension all around. Another is the linked F104 version II pro. Any other suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

I'd like to avoid the high end cars like the X-Ray as we are essentially just driving a coned off "L" track in a parking lot. I just feel that a carbon fiber masterpiece should be relegated to track duty. I'm not good enough to race an F1 competitively so.... Yeah. There it is.

Again, thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by Knockoffracer; 11-23-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The 3racing is just becoming available. I’ve got one ordered. Just waiting for it to arrive. I do race the Associated F6. Keep an eye out for used. They pop up often and can find good deals on them. I bought a second one to use the LMP body.
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

So you think the AE car, bought used might be a good call?

I just talked to one of my buddies and he ordered the FGX2018. If I can get my hands on it it might help my decision. I'm just concerned about parts availability for the FGX. The F104 has been out since 09 and parts are definitely not difficult to get. I'd also like to be able to use the narrow bodies from Tamiya on whatever I wind up purchasing.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A lot seem to try F1. But don’t seem to stay with it. Either class doesn’t pick up or they find it’s not there style of racing. F1 cars don’t work on unprepared surfaces,usually. So it was most likely not abused. Now if it was damaged during a track crash might be difficult to tell by pictures. But I’ve been very suprised by what they can take.

The FGX is a curiosities for me. It’s not legal for racing at either track in my area. Though my group would let me try. What interests me is that it’s supposed to be driveable off the track. I’ve talked to few that owned the older version. If this is true for the new one I’ll find out.

The one one thing I don’t like about F1 is how limited I am in using it. Unlike my touring cars, I can’t just go set up a course and practice off track

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 11-23-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

For parking lot racing, Tamiya cars a fantastic values. Pretty hard to beat. I would stick with what you know.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
A lot seem to try F1. But donít seem to stay with it. Either class doesnít pick up or they find itís not there style of racing. F1 cars donít work on unprepared surfaces,usually. So it was most likely not abused. Now if it was damaged during a track crash might be difficult to tell by pictures. But Iíve been very suprised by what they can take.

The FGX is a curiosities for me. Itís not legal for racing at either track in my area. Though my group would let me try. What interests me is that itís supposed to be driveable off the track. Iíve talked to few that owned the older version. If this is true for the new one Iíll find out.

The one one thing I donít like about F1 is how limited I am in using it. Unlike my touring cars, I canít just go set up a course and practice off track
I was wondering the same about the FGX. I figure the 4wheel independent suspension would be a plus. I'm unsure if the wheels are proprietary or not.. if they are it would be a no-go for me.

Originally Posted by simple View Post
For parking lot racing, Tamiya cars a fantastic values. Pretty hard to beat. I would stick with what you know.
This is where I'm leaning. The shop I work at has no problem getting Tamiya kits rather quickly. He will not, however, entertain the idea of a 3Racing kit.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

The FGX is said to have an advantage on bumpy/unprepared tracks owing to its independent suspension. Keep in mind too having to supply spare parts (and tires) for both cars. FGX wheels and tires are only compatible with the discontinued HPI F10 and Tamiya F201 so you might not have the variety or availability like the F104/Pan car style F1 cars.

Getting the link type V2 and having the T-plate car should cover you for most track setups, plus they share similar spare parts. The TRF103 covers both for you but might be overkill for what you need. A used AE F6 would be nice too, I like the Xray (from experience) also because some newer generation chassis hopups can be incorporated into an older chassis.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Your best bet, is to come and inquire in the F1 Forum.
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...
Old 11-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks. Didn't see that particular thread.

​​​​​​One of the guys in my group ordered the FGX the other day . To be honest, I'll probably just get the linked F104 just to keep things simple. After reading the F104 PRO thread o feel that I might be able to figure out any issues without having to learn an entirely new chassis.