Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

1/12 pan car selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/12 pan car selection

Ok, so i know it's kind of futile to ask "what't the best car for x class". Often it comes down to preference, what people run in your area, etc...

I'm new to 1/12 pan car racing, but have raced TC's and offroad for a while. I'm competitive...not usually THE fastest guy...usually in the mix though.

I currently have a 6-7 year old CRC carpet knife I picked up used (no idea exactly which one). I've only run it a couple times, and I hate running a car i didn't build....I really have no idea what i'm working with. I did have a blast driving it though. My local track is very small so 1/12 is perfect.

I'm looking to get another pan car so I can build it myself, and i see the CRC CK25 is available for $189....which is much cheaper than a lot of other brands.

So i guess my questions are...

1. How competitive is the CRC CK25 ?...I don't want to unknowingly buy the 'Slash' of pan cars.
2. I'm racing on a very small, tight track, are there any specific characteristics/features I should be looking for that would be advantageous ?

any thoughts would be appreciated. TY !
Old 11-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is a 1/12 Pan Car forum. Please repeat your post there, and see how deep this rabbit hole goes.
two shoes likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

CRC CK25 is a very competitive car that happens to be the most affordable. Parts are available at most of the large online retailers and also available through Horizon Hobby so your local hobby shop should be able to get parts as well. The team drivers are very active on this forum and very helpful with build/setup questions. CRC cars have always built very easily for me and they can take considerable abuse. They are ready to race and very light weight out of the box, with the only changes I like to make being 1. swapping out the rear plastic standoffs that hold the cross support with the nice red aluminum ones that Amain sells for like $3 and 2. ditching the 3/32" 16-ball CRC spur gear because... almost any other spur gear is better.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike142
Ok, so i know it's kind of futile to ask "what't the best car for x class". Often it comes down to preference, what people run in your area, etc...

I'm new to 1/12 pan car racing, but have raced TC's and offroad for a while. I'm competitive...not usually THE fastest guy...usually in the mix though.

I currently have a 6-7 year old CRC carpet knife I picked up used (no idea exactly which one). I've only run it a couple times, and I hate running a car i didn't build....I really have no idea what i'm working with. I did have a blast driving it though. My local track is very small so 1/12 is perfect.

I'm looking to get another pan car so I can build it myself, and i see the CRC CK25 is available for $189....which is much cheaper than a lot of other brands.

So i guess my questions are...

1. How competitive is the CRC CK25 ?...I don't want to unknowingly buy the 'Slash' of pan cars.
2. I'm racing on a very small, tight track, are there any specific characteristics/features I should be looking for that would be advantageous ?

any thoughts would be appreciated. TY !
The CRC cars are pretty good. I have a CK25 and a Xti-WC myself. As for the older car you bought you could post a pic of it in the 1/12 forum or the CRC forum and I'm sure it can be identified. CRC cars are super simple so I'd just disassemble the whole car and re-assemble via the instructions that I'm pretty sure you can download on CRC's site. Most 1/12 cars need to be "gone through" after a few races and every "wreck" anyway. If your track offers 1/12 GT I would highly suggest it, super fun and the car setup seems much more forgiving and easy to drive.

The other cars that are popular at my track are the X-Ray and the Associated cars. But we have all types including Yokomo, Roche, Kyosho and others.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Ck25 is a top level car. They do need gone through pretty regularly. crc parts are some of the most reasonable in the business. Just get a few spare front end parts like King pins, front arms, and spindles. That should cover most of the common broken parts and you might spend $25.
two shoes likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

biz77 is correct on what to change on the CK25. I've been running it since it came out and most everyone here at our track runs CRC. It great out of the box as most of the CRC kits are. Now if you are running on Black Carpet there are a few other suggestions ..
Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BullFrog
biz77 is correct on what to change on the CK25. I've been running it since it came out and most everyone here at our track runs CRC. It great out of the box as most of the CRC kits are. Now if you are running on Black Carpet there are a few other suggestions ..

We are running on older CRC grey carpet, medium-ish bite.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The CRC is a great car. Some like an aluminum chassis on super high bite, but even the best team drivers seem to use the stock carbon in all conditions.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

You can’t go wrong with CRC, parts availability is also amazing. Good luck to you. Btw you running on black carpet or the older style gray ?
Old 11-13-2018, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Currently running the Roche and it's been great but picked up a CK25 cheap. Have heard only positive things about the CK25
Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

CRC makes a great car and the Xray is very competitive at our local track
Old 11-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I am not a fan of the CRC cars. For me it is purely aesthetics, the CRC cars have an unfinished look to them and generally have too much flashing left on the parts. That said, I have seen a couple of guys make them fast, so as long as you get them setup right, they are a very capable car. Also, the CRC kits still use SAE hardware.

In all honesty however, your best bet is to get the car that is the most supported at your track. That way when you ask someone for setup help you are comparing apples to apples.
two shoes likes this.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Yes I definitely say see whats at your track its way easier when you need parts and setup help
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

I second checking what everyone else runs at your track.
I've owned CRC and found their cars to break too easily, it was almost a coin flip to see if I finished a run.
Now run Xray and have only ever had to replace a few parts in several years of running them.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

My son also runs Xray and I can confirm its been a very durable car. I have an Associated and have to say the Xray is really a better car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.