• 1 Post By fyrstormer
  • 1 Post By WagwanBumba
  • 1 Post By belewis01
  • 1 Post By johnzhou2476

Why on road shock still using bladders?

Old 11-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Why on road shock still using bladders?

I'm coming from off road background. Most shock these days are bladderless design with bleeder hole. It's so much easier to rebuild. The shocks on my xray t4 is a pita to rebuild because over time, the bladder would expand and make it very difficult to squeeze out the excess shock fluid.

is there a good performance reason why on road shock are still using bladders?
Old 11-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Never really thought about it. I think all my off road vehicles also have them. Don’t have anything race grade for off road though.

There’s the no shock design of the Awesomatix or Serpent 4x. I own both but don’t really understand how the suspension fully works. But it does.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Offroad shocks are sometimes emulsion shocks because they have to contend with jumps, which can cause issue with bladders. Bladder shocks are more consistent.

Also, if you are having an issue squeezing excess fluid from the shock with a bladder, you are doing it wrong. After making sure there are no bubbles in the shock oil, top the oil off with piston and shaft most of the way up, then place the bladder on the shock body such that it is touching the the oil, and draw the shaft down to draw the bladder into place. Put the eyelet on, cap, and go.
Flygio, fyrstormer and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Bleeder shocks are easier to fill and flush, but they perform less consistently because there's no way to prevent air from getting churned into the oil. That temporarily reduces the oil's viscosity. Personally, I'm content to spend an hour nursing-along my shocks, carefully getting every last bubble of air out, because that way they will behave exactly the same under all conditions for the foreseeable future. Shocks don't even need to be flushed very often anyway, so it's not a huge amount of effort to use bladders and get all the air out.

It sounds like you're using the wrong kind of oil with your XRAY shocks if the bladders are expanding over time. What kind of oil are you using? I'm asking about chemistry (silicone, mineral oil, etc.), not brand or viscosity.
JoshuaRC10 likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Xray bladders are known to be a bit crap (IMO)
I find the Yokomo SLF II shock bladders to be performant and longer lasting
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnzhou2476 View Post
The shocks on my xray t4 is a pita to rebuild because over time, the bladder would expand and make it very difficult to squeeze out the excess shock fluid.
Buy some new bladders and watch this video -
- watch the steps carefully - the trick is to push the piston almost all the way up, push on the bladder, then pull down the piston before you put on the cap. If you have some rebound, turn the shock over, unscrew the bottom cap, and gently push the shock shaft slightly to the side - excess oil will push past the o ring and no air will get back into the shock. This works with the older T4 shocks as well.

I much prefer to build my X Ray T4 shocks 3 or 4 times a year vs my off road shocks once a month. Plus my off road shocks ingest air somehow and have to be bled frequently. After building on road shocks - I wonder why off road shocks can't use a bladder.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
Buy some new bladders and watch this video - https://youtu.be/7CJfqcLsUwk - watch the steps carefully - the trick is to push the piston almost all the way up, push on the bladder, then pull down the piston before you put on the cap. If you have some rebound, turn the shock over, unscrew the bottom cap, and gently push the shock shaft slightly to the side - excess oil will push past the o ring and no air will get back into the shock. This works with the older T4 shocks as well.

I much prefer to build my X Ray T4 shocks 3 or 4 times a year vs my off road shocks once a month. Plus my off road shocks ingest air somehow and have to be bled frequently. After building on road shocks - I wonder why off road shocks can't use a bladder.
You're right off shock needs rebuilding more offen because it ingest air. But i dunno if it's because of nature of off road or a design issue. In off road, shocks are subjected to much more stress than on road hence the need for frequent rebuild.
LonnyJ1950 likes this.