R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2002, 07:53 AM   #16
Tech Adept

guys, we are running on a very slick concrete floor and are currently running hpi x-patterns with soft hpi inserts, also the hpi rally tire works pretty well with the same inserts, the losi xxx/s kit tires treated heavily with zipfree2 work well with the soft hpi insert, but from what we have noticed the soft wheels like proline and orion hards work the best in most cases-just got the orion softs-will post on those after sundays race. hpi advans might work but havent been tried with a soft wheel, they are junk on a sorex wheel.

good old coke works for the track, just spray it on and let it dry. we use a garden sprayer and put 3 two liter bottles on a track 60'x80'.

silicone will work but it is a lot of work! someone will figure out that they can do their tires closer to race time and get more traction and this leads to losing the silicone off of the foams in chunks or small pieces which creates a problem for the guys that dont do this creating trash on their tires.

i hope this helps and i will keep you all posted on our progress

thanks todd
bluegrasshobbies.com
xxxtracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:13 AM   #17
Tech Adept

we raced yesterday and had a lot of traction. we were running the losi treaded tires (blue compound) and hpi 4514's on the orion hard wheels with hpi soft inserts. both tires worked well but the hpi's seem to last better. everyone also tried the pirelli rally tire from hpi and they work also but seem to create a push. we are not racing this week but will be back in two weeks.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:31 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Default Silicone RTV

PizzaDude;

I'll have a medium pepperoni with mushrooms and.......

The Silicone RTV is "Gasket or Window" glue/sealer that can be found at Auto Parts stores (colored) or Hardware Stores (clear).

I can't vouch for the effectiveness, because I my self have never done this. Some of these other Guys seem to have luck with certain types of rubber tires. This may be the way to go as it seems like alot less hassel.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 12:44 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

use silicone capped tires we used this for the norca dirt oval nationals at coopers r/c center in the mid 90's they work so well they were baned from use at his track because he wasen't selling any tires when silicone wor out just re cap your tires we also found out at work on the slick concrete they worked. this tire capping worked so well we put 2 more laps on the track record
bubbaicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:07 AM   #20
Tech Adept

If you want to use silicone on a foam tyre then you need clear or white silicon caulking. The stuff we used to use was made by a company called Dow Corning and had a smell like vinegar when it was going hard. I think you can also use the silicon they sell for sealing fish tanks.
You need a flat surface to work on, a piece of glass or an old tray will do. Squeeze a bead of silicon on to the tyre and run it slowly back and forward to distribute it evenly over the whole tyre you should end up with something that looks like a minipin tyre, set it to one side to harden for 6 hours or so then go race it.
Bosscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 06:47 AM   #21
Tech Master

Thanks for the help you all...
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:42 AM   #22
Tech Adept

we raced yesterday with excellent traction. the tire of choice was the hpi 4514 with hpi 4670 inserts on orion soft 26mm wheels or proline sedan hawgs on orion wheels with the factory inserts.

we sprayed the track with coke lightly and let it dry about 30 minutes and then sprayed it again and let it dry using a total of 3 2 liter bottles. traction was great and got faster all day. it seems like the longer the coke drys the better the traction gets.

hope this helps.

when we used silicone we used the cheapest clear that walmart has and used a drill with a plastic bondo spreader to apply the silicon. just clamp the wheel with a bolt insert into drill and rotate while putting the silicon on with the plastic spreader.

good luck!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:49 AM   #23

secret formula for concrete, anti freeze, yea i know, envor blab blab, take a little put it on your polished concrete garage floor, don't forget to mix it, let it set, now try and drag your shoe across it, works pretty good doesn't it. theres also this stuff called vht. it works to,
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 11:43 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by ritchie
secret formula for concrete, anti freeze, yea i know, envor blab blab, take a little put it on your polished concrete garage floor, don't forget to mix it, let it set, now try and drag your shoe across it, works pretty good doesn't it. theres also this stuff called vht. it works to,
hope u don't have any pets around the taste of anti-freeze is sweet to them but also very poisonious it doesn't take much to hurt or posably kill them . just think before u try this...........B
bubbaicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:43 PM   #25

so thats why all the little kittys don't come around anymore. yes i know its harmful, but they make a new type of antifreeze that is not posion and is enviroment safe.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote