R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Platinum or copper

Hi,

should I buy platinum plated, or copper battery solder bars? Platinum plated are 2x as expensive...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

Just get whichever one is cheapest. The resistance of the bar has an extremely small % of the total resistance of the pack.
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Smile

I agree. Go with whatever is cheaper. Actually silver has the least electrical resistance, next is copper, and gold is the last. You can find silver bars for about the same price as the copper. I would only use platinum if my touring car had spinners too :-)
Old 02-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S
Hi,

should I buy platinum plated, or copper battery solder bars? Platinum plated are 2x as expensive...
I think the copper bars are easier to solder on , they seem to transfer heat better.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw92656
I agree. Go with whatever is cheaper. Actually silver has the least electrical resistance, next is copper, and gold is the last. You can find silver bars for about the same price as the copper. I would only use platinum if my touring car had spinners too :-)
Are you serious. Why do you think companies use gold and sometimes platinum plating on expensive circit boards.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Tech Adept

May have something to to with corrosion but the order of resistance best to worst as follows:

silver
copper
gold
aluminum
tungsten
iron
steel
platinum

As was stated earlier the distance in battery bar is so the resistance is minimal.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lano
May have something to to with corrosion but the order of resistance best to worst as follows:

silver
copper
gold
aluminum
tungsten
iron
steel
platinum

As was stated earlier the distance in battery bar is so the resistance is minimal.
Exactly right. It's resistance to corrosion that makes a few materials desireable for this(that's why many people, including the military use gold for their electrical contacts, it seems to have the best balance of low resistance & high corrosion resistance). But for our purposes, copper or silver is just fine, so just go with what's priced best for you.....

Go Pokes!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys, platinum is a HORRIBLE conducter......horrible. You are better off using a piece of wood....

Get the copper ones.....they are not only cheaper, but a superior conducter and much better at dissapating any heat....

Platinum is only used in electrical applications when they need to prevent corrosion and resistance is not an issue....

Later EddieO
Old 03-15-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
Suspended

electricity is electricity and oxidation is oxidation. Neither of which care what the application is. If you are the one who wants the flashlight to work you want clean contacts. Copper is the better conductor when it is clean, however its impossible to keep it oxide free. Gold stays as a noble element unless put under some really hard conditions which is why every one plates contacts with it that they want to keep working for a lot of years.

Gold is much better over the long haul than oxidized copper and copper will oxidize plain and simple. Push current through it when its wet and bad things really start to happen. If you can keep it mostly clean and dry it will work fine
Closed Thread