R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2002, 09:34 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default .

ah yes the old argument which is faster . well boys i've been doing this r/c thang for some time now and seen electric beat nitro more than once. cars of equel caliber and both with expert drivers not some slouchs that say mines faster than yours.

now nitro is close to real racing you have got the smell the sound and the have to worry about the tune on the motor with the change in the weather. you have nostarts flameouts, need a pit guy when you have a long main event to fuel you up. i guess thats ok.

electric is cleaner . just as fast (if not faster). quicker on the in feild by far. all you have to worry about is set up and gearing and make sure your not doing to much bench racing and forgetting to charge your packs up. afetr a run a quick blow off with some compressed air and your ready for the next heat and no oily crap to clean off the body and what ever else the exhust hits.

to summ this up it dosen't matter which one is faster in r/c racing. all that matter is that we have fun in what we do and keep our hobby alive. i have seen to many tracks close down. due to lack of racer particapation. sooo race on dudes (oh yeah and ladies to. )

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:56 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Default Re: .

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
ah yes the old argument which is faster . well boys i've been doing this r/c thang for some time now and seen electric beat nitro more than once. cars of equel caliber and both with expert drivers not some slouchs that say mines faster than yours.

now nitro is close to real racing you have got the smell the sound and the have to worry about the tune on the motor with the change in the weather. you have nostarts flameouts, need a pit guy when you have a long main event to fuel you up. i guess thats ok.

electric is cleaner . just as fast (if not faster). quicker on the in feild by far. all you have to worry about is set up and gearing and make sure your not doing to much bench racing and forgetting to charge your packs up. afetr a run a quick blow off with some compressed air and your ready for the next heat and no oily crap to clean off the body and what ever else the exhust hits.

to summ this up it dosen't matter which one is faster in r/c racing. all that matter is that we have fun in what we do and keep our hobby alive. i have seen to many tracks close down. due to lack of racer particapation. sooo race on dudes (oh yeah and ladies to. )
Good one and agree 110 %
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:18 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Let's put it this way - running at Revelation (huge track, 1/8th is very comfortable there) and the only thing that was beating my Pro10 (10L2) with a 10x2 was the 1/8th scales. With proper gearing, a 1/10th scale pan car is the fastest 1/10th scale car, period.

That said, the pan car goes through tires faster, only run 5 minutes at that rate of speed and gearing, and if it catches air, oh my WORD does it look cool flipping through the air!!!

I really loved driving my NTC3 for about 40 MINUTES without taking it off the track.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:58 AM   #19
Tech Regular

1 x 1/10th pan car

1 x Brushless Motor

1 x 2 Speed gearbox

Performance........Priceless!!!
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 07:32 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JitsuGuy

I think with the development of Brushless motors and higher capacity batterys, it's just a matter of time until Electric is far superior to nitro.

Jits
JitsuGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 09:43 AM   #21
Tech Elite

With the exception of cars that run GTS/P style bodies, I don't think that electric is going to handle the speeds very well. They just don't have the weight/downforce to put enough friction on the tires to take a sweeper at 50-70mph, for example.

There is a benefit to weight! heh heh
Old 12-06-2002, 10:54 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Don't forget about centrifigual force. more weigh will mant to keep going straight.

Like I said earlier, the Mod electric onroads are quite faster than the 1/10 nitro cars. TC3 to NTC3.

But Nitro is still cool!! I want one!!
Pit Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:01 PM   #23
Tech Regular

well,

Nitro in fact smokes electrics (literally)...

In intricate circuits a 1/10 200 will have a dificult task doing a better job than a electric TC.

When you start comparing a Pro 10 with a 1/10 nitro then the nitro seems that's not even moving in the turns. A pro 10 you have to compare with a 1/8...

Then throw a 10x2 into a 1/12 with 6 cells and make the 1/8 guys cry.

The 1/5 don't even get into the equation. Even on a fast circuit, a couple of curves will make them grasp for speed.

Duration? Well, 1/10 nitro, 1/8 nitro will run up to 6-7 minutes in one tank, electrics can do it for 5:30 minutes.

1/5 last forever, but who cares..... (just joking 1/5 guys, I like the cars , honestly LOL)
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:28 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what about the size of the track? I can always run a JP motor and have the 2 speed kick it way late. And people always talk about speed record, keep in mind how many cells are they dumping into a pan car to achieve that speed? Would you normally run that many cells? Is speed classify as acceleration? Top speed or single lap time for a given track?

Antoniop is right about one point, I can run gas on and on, only need to come in for fuel stop every 5-6 minutes. Not much fun when you can only run 5:30 mins and have to come in to change for fresh batts.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:24 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Absolutely.

I run both classes and to have the same track time in one day with an electric and a nitro is almost impossible and I have 7 practice packs and 2 chargers. I do it coz I race in the National Championship and I have to practice.

With the nitro I do a tank, come into the box, refill and there I go again.

Ican drive 45 minutes or more if you want (helpful if you want to practice for the finals and the much needed concentration) and for that you would need 7-8 packs.

I understand why nitro is more appealing to most people. Who cares about 1 second less per lap, if they can have fun tank after tank...
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 05:59 PM   #26
Tech Elite

I would say that Mod Sedan and Nitro Sedan would be fairly close together, but Pro10 adn 1/12th just can't compare to 1/8th - they smoke us on the straight and have just too much acceleration on the chutes. . .

Now, if you want to look at value/speed. . .

Pro10 and 1/12th- $140-$150 rolling chassis
Sedan - $250 rolling chassis
Nitro - $250+ rolling chassis
1/8 - $4-500 rolling. . .
Old 12-06-2002, 06:06 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I do have to agree on couple of things. Carpet racing is clean (or electric in general)! After a 30 min main on an 1/8th scale race, you car is just absolutely sh!t!!! And 1/12th carpet racing is such an awesome class to run in and great for winter training when we can't run 1/8th cars outside. And Boomer, you are right, an 1/8th outfit isn't cheap! And thanks to GP for the inexpensive and awesome 3300's!
Old 12-09-2002, 11:06 AM   #28
Tech Elite

It was cool - we took an entire class of cars to Revelation on Sunday - 10 Pan Cars (plus they stuck three sedans in with us. . .)

So, average laps were something like:

1/10 Nitro Sedan - 18-19 sec laps for the leaders
1/8 Nitro - 17-17.5 sec laps for the leaders
1/10 Mod GTP - 17.5-18 sec laps for the leaders (fast lap by Mark A was something like 17.3)

I think it was Colin C. who told Mark - "Gee, for $1000 you can gain another .3 second!!!" heh heh
Old 12-09-2002, 07:41 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

I think a 1/12 Mod 4 or 6 cell is probably can gain enough time in the infield of most tracks that a 1/8 probably wont even catch em on the straights. I havnt drove a nitro car yet that feels as stable as a 1/12 in the turns, I think its mainly because nitro cars weight so much more that 4 wheels a plate of carbon fiber and a motor.
Cyclonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 07:38 AM   #30
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

IMO the question of which is faster boils 90% down to the track in question. A well-driven and setup 1/8th is going to murder a modified 1/12th scale if it is a track with 200+ foot str8 and 10 foot wide lanes that 1/8 are designed to be driven on.

Any 200mm nitro has its hands full keeping up with lighter electric mod sedans (or stock sedans for that matter) when the track is technical or small.

It's just like other forms of racing - put an F1 on a go-kart track and go-karts will beat it. That doesn't mean you can say a go-kart is faster than an F1 does it? Take them to hockenheim and it's not even worth the comparison anymore. Same thing with electric vs. nitro.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote