Body weight rules discussion for 1/12th >

Body weight rules discussion for 1/12th

Like Tree30Likes

Body weight rules discussion for 1/12th

Old 10-04-2018, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Don't the rules specifically say that bodies need to be ROAR/EFRA approved etc depending on where you race? If it's a custom body, it's not approved. That's a completely separate issue to chassis modifications.
Problem is they get pulled in the same mold so the part # markings and all appearances are the same, just done with a real thin lexan, and hand delivered to team guys at big races, hence the pro's last ditch 1 color wonder paint jobs some times
Old 10-04-2018, 07:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 176 (100%+)

I think the major issue, at least in the US, is that we don't really have a good set of rules for every class. New "products" have arose in the last 5 years, that are undefined, or fit the old style of rules that everyone has been "following" (picking and choosing what to follow). I do not think that manufacturers would venture into these undefined areas if there was a better set of rules, that everyone agreed to follow, similar to what ROAR tried to do, but you know more effective... That being said there will always be someone trying to do something that is in a grey area. One of these issues arising in the last 5 years is the ULW bodies. It seems in recent years that the cost of the hobby to try and "compete" has gone up, with a variety of things, and bodies lasting 2 "weeks" is one of those things. I am very involved with the hobby at a local level, and cost is one of the issues for new racers, that and them thinking they have to have the latest and greatest/fastest blah blah to do well, which isn't entirely true, especially for a beginner at a club level. For TC I finally put to rest my body from Snowbirds this past year, granted I didnt race that exact one every week, but it had a good 4 months of racing weekly on it, this was a light weight. I will say that there seems to be different materials/processes being used by other companies that the bodies last longer, and crack less, making these bodies more cost effective for a "racer". This is similar in 12th scale also, I know of a few manufactures that have "super thin bodies". The main issue with the 12th scale bodies seems to be that they are more subject to cracking/tearing even if you have a light weight, and not an ULW, in comparison to TC bodies. So while I think the weight topic is important, maybe a better question should be "what can we as racers/manufactures do to increase the durability, of bodies while not sacrificing a bunch of "performance", with maybe a marginal price increase, to reflect the lost in sales/increase body cost for a "better" body.

One thing I did in my 12th bodies is a I shoe goe'd a piece of plastic on the nose where the body would rest near the castor blocks, so when I would tap/hit a tube it didnt puncture my body. Of course this isnt ideal, because of the placement of the 5 extra grams in the car, but I suppose I wouldnt need to if I could drive better Another thing that a manufacturer came out with is a reinforcement for the TC wheel wells/body post areas, which is fine, but again an increase cost per body, and like I said other companies seem to have a more durable body, for some reason.

This is just my .02, right wrong or indifferent. I think that we can agree that these threads Hanulec has been starting, is at least shedding some light on some topics that are potentially problematic.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

I agree to what you say. And realistically I think the trend of going to lighter weight was good at first, but then it became a bit out of hand. I do not seen any gain on my end or my sons using these wafer thin bodies. I like regular weight bodies, as they are more durable and help keep my chassis protected to some extend when getting into a wreck or running into another person. And as you stated as well with so many classes, it is easy to understand how rules and ideas get brought through and introduced.

What you had done on your upper arms is what some are doing in 1/8 to mitigate the front of the body scraping / dragging on the track, and possibly rubbing on the front tires, losing speed and or causing drag.

- Oh well to each their own I guess.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This discussion is no different than running small tires. One run tires happen for a reason. Its a choice made by those who want to pull that last .01 per lap. ULW bodies are the same choice. If this is such an issue why aren't we talking about single set handout limit for tires?
RBLove, davidl, 30Tooth and 1 others like this.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Are you walking around with a scale at the Mon-Tech race? Would be interesting to see what kind of weights you are seeing.