Body weight rules discussion for 1/12th >

Body weight rules discussion for 1/12th

Like Tree30Likes

Body weight rules discussion for 1/12th

Old 10-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Also... This might be a limited scope issue... But I'm only aware of one manufacturer supplying super light 1/12 bodies today.
Selling them, yes. But we are not the only manufacturer making them. Our Pro-Lite bodies were released in response to another manufacturers special team-driver-only extra thin bodies, which were were giving up about 15% in weight at big races.

I don't race 1/12 so I can't speak from the angle as a racer, but as a manufacturer we would be all for a min. weight in 1/12, fwiw.
iTz Nicholas72 and moishi like this.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

I like the idea, but a minimum thickness as well, to ensure longevity of the bodies, given their relative cost.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

If the body is Available go the general public, it should be legal IMO. Taking away tuning options is counter productive as f**k
chris moore and bbarnhardt like this.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I can see why this may be a thing in TC but I am unsure of the need in 1/12. I have run a bunch of different bodies of different weight and the thin seem to last better as they flex instead of split.
My observation as well. I actually ordered the PRO-Lite bodies last year as a desperate measure as the regular light weight bodies were out of stock everywhere. I was certain I was going to be replacing one of these after a night on our tiny and often-times rough track. To my surprise they lasted just as long as the regular light weight bodies.
EricPF likes this.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
My observation as well. I actually ordered the PRO-Lite bodies last year as a desperate measure as the regular light weight bodies were out of stock everywhere. I was certain I was going to be replacing one of these after a night on our tiny and often-times rough track. To my surprise they lasted just as long as the regular light weight bodies.
I suspect part of this 'occurrence' might have been a rumored change in the lexan used by a manufacture rather than any gains to flexibility from thinner bodies.
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

My Pro-lite 1/12 bodies usually tore around the rear tail area near the creases, haven't had any rips up front.

With that said, lexan quality from Protoform is not as good as lexan from "Blitz" bodies for example. I could usually get 2-3x more life out of Blitz shells over the equivalent thickness Protoform.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
My Pro-lite 1/12 bodies usually tore around the rear tail area near the creases, haven't had any rips up front.

With that said, lexan quality from Protoform is not as good as lexan from "Blitz" bodies for example. I could usually get 2-3x more life out of Blitz shells over the equivalent thickness Protoform.
The same can be said for their 1/8 bodies. After the PF R15, I started to run Blitz as well, as the front end and rear side dams would last a bit longer.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
If there was a weight rule at least we'd have paint jobs again.. 5 white and 3 yellow cars in the race gets old
A weight rule has nothing to do with this, in fact it might only make this worse as racers will be so worried about the added cg and weight up high that one color wonders will become the norm to compensate.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

I think they’re bad for racing just like the spool in 12th scale. Two worst things is kitting your car at the end of straight because the body folded under or someone spinning out in front of you with their locker/spool.
jlfx car audio and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricPF View Post
Selling them, yes. But we are not the only manufacturer making them. Our Pro-Lite bodies were released in response to another manufacturers special team-driver-only extra thin bodies, which were were giving up about 15% in weight at big races.

I don't race 1/12 so I can't speak from the angle as a racer, but as a manufacturer we would be all for a min. weight in 1/12, fwiw.
They were using a custom made body that's not available for purchase? That shouldn't be legal in the first place.
davidl likes this.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Not again😮

Oh no! Not another rules related issue to argue about (discuss) online. If you think a given body is too thin, too light, or too flimsy, here's a novel suggestion.........just run some other body that you do like. It's not rocket science. It's just grown men playing with (and hopefully enjoying) toy cars.
davidl and RacinJ like this.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dammit Perry.. They aren't toys !!!! Lol
Old 10-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Well. How long before we start seeing constructed bodies. A thin wisp of body, with reinforcements glued in after painting.

Not allowing "custom" bits, also goes down a very nasty hole. Where do you draw the line? Can't drill a new hole in a swingarm, or chasiss plate? Can't sand the edges of your carbon bits? Can't use 3m strapping tape versus HUDY battery tape?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
Well. How long before we start seeing constructed bodies. A thin wisp of body, with reinforcements glued in after painting.

Not allowing "custom" bits, also goes down a very nasty hole. Where do you draw the line? Can't drill a new hole in a swingarm, or chasiss plate? Can't sand the edges of your carbon bits? Can't use 3m strapping tape versus HUDY battery tape?
you've just described the current body situation. Shoo goo, drywall tape and anti tuck. The second part is also what our gt12 rules are like with no additional holes, hate it.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post

Don't the rules specifically say that bodies need to be ROAR/EFRA approved etc depending on where you race? If it's a custom body, it's not approved. That's a completely separate issue to chassis modifications.
Nerobro likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.