Like Tree321Likes

Yokomo BD9

Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I feel you on the RC car OCD!

Another thing I noticed and fixed was that the lower shock retainer was rubbing the front arm so I bused out the Dremel and voila. Shocks now are free to move.

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525
I experienced this as well. I used a .1x6 shim on each side to get it nice. The reason for the 6mm inner diameter vs 5mm is because the 5 won't fit over the ridge on the shaft when you assemble. I ran it for one day without shims because I had none of the 6mm and under load it was ok but knowing there was play bothered me lol.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dane
I feel you on the RC car OCD!

Another thing I noticed and fixed was that the lower shock retainer was rubbing the front arm so I bused out the Dremel and voila. Shocks now are free to move.

That doesn't happen if you install the front arms correctly. There is a left and a right one and they have clearance for the spring retainer.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

So I ran the new Samix aluminum chassis at my local track for the winter points finals. I can say the car felt better than with the yokomo aluminum chassis. The rear of the car was more "locked in" feeling and it also feels more balanced left to right under hard cornering. It also seems to carry a bit more corner speed. More testing to come.
DaSilva3525 likes this.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MidwestRacer
So I ran the new Samix aluminum chassis at my local track for the winter points finals. I can say the car felt better than with the yokomo aluminum chassis. The rear of the car was more "locked in" feeling and it also feels more balanced left to right under hard cornering. It also seems to carry a bit more corner speed. More testing to come.
Good Information Thanks!

I was wondering about this aftermarket chassis!
Old 04-11-2019, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

I will be going with a Samix chassis as well. I was lucky enough to find a BD9 alum kit in stock but I knew right away for Black crc all that flex wouldn't be needed on the yok alum unit. Hopefully the screw hole's are a bit smaller as well. Glad to hear everyone is putting in work with the BD9
Old 04-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any tricks for changing out the pinion gear? That back battery post makes it difficult to get an allen wrench in there. I've been pulling the top deck lately to change the pinion, it just seems easier to get it done quickly that way.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

I have always taken the top deck out on all my Yok TC's for pinion changes. Pretty straight forward, I always undo my shock towers and top deck after each round anyway to make sure there is 0 tweak anyway. When I make a gearing change I do it right after the run
Old 04-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by belewis01
Any tricks for changing out the pinion gear? That back battery post makes it difficult to get an allen wrench in there. I've been pulling the top deck lately to change the pinion, it just seems easier to get it done quickly that way.
I literally just use an L wrench on the pinion set screw. Luckily I have a bunch from back in the day. Just put a bright piece of tape on it to remind me not to remove it from my pit bag. Much faster than pulling top deck. I wish there was easy access to pinion set screw through chassis or top plate.

Last edited by MidwestRacer; 04-11-2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2019, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MidwestRacer
I literally just use an L wrench on the pinion set screw. Luckily I have a bunch from back in the day. Just put a bright piece of tape on it to remind me not to remove it from my pit bag. Much faster than pulling top deck. I wish there was easy access to pinion set screw through chassis or top plate.
This used to be my method as well - back in the X Ray days - with the rear battery stop on the BD9, it get's a little harder, especially if I'm in a hurry. I've only dnf'd for a loose pinion once in the past 4 years .... and it was on my BD9.

I have always taken the top deck out on all my Yok TC's for pinion changes. Pretty straight forward, I always undo my shock towers and top deck after each round anyway to make sure there is 0 tweak anyway. When I make a gearing change I do it right after the run
Hmmm, I do my top deck before each race, and usually about 1//2 way through the day - rarely do my shock towers on purpose - probably should do it more often.

Anyways - thanks all for the feedback.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belewis01
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...k-8205/p212261

1.5mm ball end
Old 04-15-2019, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jimmy Morris
That doesn't happen if you install the front arms correctly. There is a left and a right one and they have clearance for the spring retainer.
front arms must be upside down in opposite sides. front arms are not symmetrical they have moulded the clearance needed for the spring retainers.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its quiet in here , is it safe to say the car is working well?
Old 05-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by carkillaii

Very well. I was / am going to make a decent size post with some findings and tips shortly
carkillaii and Byronf1 like this.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very well. I was / am going to make a decent size post with some findings and tips shortly
Great, I have to get off my ass and start building my kit!!!!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carkillaii
Car has been killer out here testing for the nationals in August.

Marcos.J and carkillaii like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.