Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree321Likes

Yokomo BD9

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Holy smoke Yokomo has posted a lot tips etc... some owners will get new spring cups.
https://teamyokomo.com/topics/8471/
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
With the rear hub issue, the answer is to use your “health kit”

pair up the hubs. Use one from each set, two rights or two lefts (can’t remember which one) off the sprue to get a matched, straight pair.

Also, be mindful of an error in the first batch of chassis.

Yokomo address it here: https://translate.googleusercontent....Cn9xZvPoovdEsQ

This is only a tip for assembly but not a manufacturing error of the suspension mounts. Error of toe angles may occur due to manufacturing tolerances of the thread tapping, if assembled without care.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

I have had my first race experience with the new BD9, and it was a good one. I assembled the car and put a setup on it that I thought would work for me similar to how I set up my BD8 2018's. The chassis went together beautifully. The fit and finish, as well as the machining tolerances were amazing good. The car was driven by my new fellow team mate, I ran my BD8's in USGT and 17.5TC. The BD9 was the fastest USGT on the track period. It took TQ and won the A-main in USGT with Nick driving. Flawless all day. I couldn't catch him with my BD8, which has proven to be the car to beat until now and had to settle for second. I built my diffs the way I have for years, and it had ZERO leakage. I know some say they leak, and I now can say, it is FOR SURE something the builder must have done incorrectly. I also did not have any weird toe issues some have stated. Mine was a first run pre-order from USA, maybe I got lucky. I did recently sign with Team YOKOMO, and I am excited to see what I can do with the new car this winter. I will be running my BD9's in USGT and 17.5 TC. Let me know if you have any questions and I will post up more soon.
DaSilva3525 likes this.

Last edited by MidwestRacer; 12-11-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-11-2018, 09:27 PM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

If anyone is looking for an aluminum 18.5mm Servo arm to match the stock BD9's length the steering geometry was designed for, try this one from RC Mission. Available in the US from Ulti Tire USA. Some spacing under the ball stud and you should be at the right angles.

https://ultitires.com/index.php?rout...rch=rc+mission
Old 12-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc_square24
This is only a tip for assembly but not a manufacturing error of the suspension mounts. Error of toe angles may occur due to manufacturing tolerances of the thread tapping, if assembled without care.
good pickup. I didn’t read it that way at first but you are very much right.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default Spool

I'm not sure if I missed it somewhere but does anyone know why they went away from the aluminum spool and are going with a molded one?
Old 12-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adonis_mp
I'm not sure if I missed it somewhere but does anyone know why they went away from the aluminum spool and are going with a molded one?
I think its mostly due to weight.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Been pretty quiet in here. Are guys doing that well with the car? Hope to get my hands on one at the beginning of the year :-)

Old 12-20-2018, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Been pretty quiet in here. Are guys doing that well with the car? Hope to get my hands on one at the beginning of the year :-)
Pretty sure the latter part of this is whats actually happening. Only a handful of the team guys even have cars right now not to mention privateers.

So far for asphalt I like the car without the wishbone, terminals forward, weight in the center. I haven't been able to test much past that until this coming weekend but its at least close to my old car already with mostly the kit geometry.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Realtek
I think its mostly due to weight.
Would the aluminum one fit, I'm always looking to add weight.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would the aluminum one fit, I'm always looking to add weight.
Not sure if they will fit. The bulkheads are narrower now. Plus the pulleys that fit on to the aluminum are 34t and 40t. Bd9 is 38t. Just and weights if you want it heavier. Not worth modifying the car just to fit the older style pulleys.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Saw the car today: very nice.....
Old 12-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

The plastic spools are superior. In the design, they are much lighter as well as more precise. The way the outdrives fit into the spool, they have zero deflection as they engage to near the center of the spool. Being plastic to metal fit, the tolerances can be super tight, even slight interference fit without worry of the parts galling together. I have not had 1 issue in 3 years with one of mine, and they free up rotating weight in the drivetrain, making more efficiency and quicker acceleration.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by STLNLST
The first outing with the car was a positive one. TQ and win in USGT A-Main which is the first time it has been done by anyone but a certain racer at the track. It is fast. I could only get one race ready so far. After the new year there are a lot more races coming up as well. My fellow teammate and I did very well with them. He managed I believe 3rd place in 17.5 A-main just behind myself. I nearly won, I just could not get a clean pass. The cars take to setup changes well, and seem to have a large sweet spot without doing weird things if you go the wrong way with your changes, so you can still manage a descent finish. The car is light, so I had to add 80 grams to my USGT, which helps keep the CG super low. I used YOKOMO offroad 25g buggy battery weights under the electronics, glued 2 together and cut down to 40 grams and made like a radio tray. This combined with a 40g center weight and the car perfectly balanced with a 6500 LCG HV battery.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MidwestRacer
The first outing with the car was a positive one. TQ and win in USGT A-Main which is the first time it has been done by anyone but a certain racer at the track. It is fast. I could only get one race ready so far. After the new year there are a lot more races coming up as well. My fellow teammate and I did very well with them. He managed I believe 3rd place in 17.5 A-main just behind myself. I nearly won, I just could not get a clean pass. The cars take to setup changes well, and seem to have a large sweet spot without doing weird things if you go the wrong way with your changes, so you can still manage a descent finish. The car is light, so I had to add 80 grams to my USGT, which helps keep the CG super low. I used YOKOMO offroad 25g buggy battery weights under the electronics, glued 2 together and cut down to 40 grams and made like a radio tray. This combined with a 40g center weight and the car perfectly balanced with a 6500 LCG HV battery.
What setup and body did you run in USGT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.