Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis >

Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis

Like Tree144Likes

Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis

Hide Wikipost
Old 09-27-2018, 09:09 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 1/8 IC Fan

Print Wikipost

Old 02-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Okay, this does look different on the website from the kit part but I'm not sure what makes it better?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Kit default setup performance note: I have thoroughly tested the out of the boxness. So easy to drive! I had a 97.90% lap consistency in the main last night with my Eclipse 2. Car is still out of the box nearly exactly as per the manual. I will have to make the car slightly more aggressive to improve my lap times but knowing that I can return to the kit setup if things go wrong is of great comfort.
cyclone and qcrc like this.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post

Okay, this does look different on the website from the kit part but I'm not sure what makes it better?
The ends are not machined for the kingpins. The mounts are shorter and it seems to be stiffer then the old CF. It should take an impact without delaminating.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:54 AM
Tech Adept

Its great to here your positive review of the car right away david. Please let us know what changes you try and if you would like any advice on tuning the setup!

I have attached a slightly large photo I took of the new beam, as the pic above still shows as the old one on my browser.
-Some redundant holes were removed for looks.
-The outer pockets are removed to improve cross-section and also offer a more solid structure.
-The material running to the outer holes (wishbone cross-section) is also strengthened with a new wider profile.
-Because of the loss of max small tire ride height, (because of the loss of the 1mm deep pocket) We have used a 0.5mm lower ball. This means that bolting this on will lose only 0.5mm of height with no change of washers. You can now also use a 3mm hex driver in the top of the balls.

I have not yet seen one get damaged. This is U7476.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:28 AM
Tech Rookie

I have decided to create a new account as my old one was very outdated!
Please message on this account if you ever wish to PM me!
Thanks
AndyM
qcrc and jetnjme like this.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

I need a few hundredths of a second per corner improvement in order to hang with the top guys at my track (the top guys at my track are National level racers). I just need to maintain a tick more cornering speed without messing up the cars stability (currently it pushes a little too much on entry and on throttle). I'm considering these changes (one at a time):
- a touch of rear steer
- a small increase in caster
- the optional camber plate (I would prefer a smaller camber change than the optional plate provides). The super precise front end on this car makes the difference for me and being able to fine tune the camber more finely would be awesome. I think I would have to reduce caster if I installed the optional camber plate.
In this video you can see me push out wide in the middle of the track nearly every time (part of it is driving, part of it is car). I'm the black car in P2.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Tech Rookie

It looks pretty good.

Can I ask how you plan to give the car rear steer, do you plan to raise the front of the links?

I have been running the option camber strap almost everywhere lately. Give it a try and see if you can dial out some mid corner steering with it. Like you say, maybe less caster. Im using 2.5mm under front of beam, 0mm rear.

If you dont get on with it, maybe other things to try would be:
-increasing the side springs up by one.
-short pivot option
-Another direction would be to increase front droop or soften the front spring.
-Carbon chassis, grip looks not super high.

My favourate first choice would be trying more camber or trying the kit chassis if you happen to be on alloy.

DavidNERODease and VikingRC like this.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Yes, I was considering raising the front of the side links (removing shims in the case of the Eclipse)... not sure this is even a good idea but the current track record holder has this setup on his car (the P1 car in the video).
I should have the option camber plate shortly so more camber will be tried for sure.
My Eclipse 2 is 100% out of the box (stock carbon chassis)... except for some steering stops (short post instead of a nut on the end of the steering block ball stud) to prevent the inside wheel from jamming in a crash. We race on very old CRC Ozite - so medium grip levels by today's standards. The car is for sure close to being golden. I just need a bit more momentum carried through the corner and I'll be in the hunt.
Erhard likes this.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

An early build pic but you can see the steering stops.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi David, Your car build looks good, but shorten the body posts :P

Those posts shouldnt be needed to prevent a wheel jamming over. The designed crash stop is the wheel stopping out against the lower wishbone. Perhaps you felt it was going to jam before fitting wheels?

Let us know about your progress with our changes after you get on track again
Old 02-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, I was considering raising the front of the side links (removing shims in the case of the Eclipse)... not sure this is even a good idea but the current track record holder has this setup on his car (the P1 car in the video)..........
This puts a smile on my face, as I was almost executed for proposing to raise or lower the front joint of the links.
For sure the effect of rear steering from this modification is almost zero. Andy confirmed this fact by CAD study, I just apply some mathematical knowledge in trigonometrics.
The true effect is concerning roll center.
If you raise the front joints, it will result in lower rear roll center.
This will put more downforce to the rear inside wheel. And less to the front inside wheel.
If you have proper Ackerman steering, this might result in even less front grip. If Ackerman is mismatching, I can imagine you get more front grip, as the low gripping inside wheel doesnt work against the outside wheel.
But this is rather theoretical. Try it in real to be sure.
Hint: A car with incorrect Ackerman will roll suboptimally through corners, as wheels work against each other, which costs energy.
Again reality counts! Theory can sometimes just be less important in comparison to not considered side effects.
Best regards, Erhard

Last edited by Erhard; 02-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
Its great to here your positive review of the car right away david. Please let us know what changes you try and if you would like any advice on tuning the setup!

I have attached a slightly large photo I took of the new beam, as the pic above still shows as the old one on my browser.
-Some redundant holes were removed for looks.
-The outer pockets are removed to improve cross-section and also offer a more solid structure.
-The material running to the outer holes (wishbone cross-section) is also strengthened with a new wider profile.
-Because of the loss of max small tire ride height, (because of the loss of the 1mm deep pocket) We have used a 0.5mm lower ball. This means that bolting this on will lose only 0.5mm of height with no change of washers. You can now also use a 3mm hex driver in the top of the balls.

I have not yet seen one get damaged. This is U7476.

Really good to have the new part!
We have had agressive track borders in the recent races we did and the old part wasn't so satisfying in robustness. Therefore I filled the kingpin pocket and laminated three layers of carbon on that side of the whishbone. (Still it can break in extreme rare cases of course, but ....)

The problem now was riding height, especially when using more caster. To solve this, I pressed out and mounted the rear ball mount from the opposite side, which is ultimate low now (-2mm), but a solid whasher should be used, because the ball alone is very little area pressing on the chassis.
I observed this front axis works best with less caster than other designs. The reasons is the very accurate, free of play guide of the hub carriers.
The wheels just wobble some degrees less and this (play) degrees under load are compensated in other axises by more castor/camber.

The camber I normaly just set to get front tyre wear straight. This means the car handles the same with a new tyre from trueing as after some runs.
Also here due to really low play, it needs less camber than other cars.
In my opinion this is key to the front axis driving precision and thus resulting performance the Eclipse 2 has.
It is really easy to drive fast.

Best regards, Erhard

Last edited by Erhard; 02-07-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Unfortunately, I discovered the source of the push last night. I hadn't noticed that the right side of the front plate had delaminated. It's flexing during cornering. Amazingly the car was still quite decent (still matched my best results) but there was no point in testing any setting changes. I gotta get this new part pronto. I will try to order direct Schumacher today.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

There are payment error problems with their system right now. Hope it worked because I have big races coming up and I could do well with this car.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

There are payment error problems with their system right now. Hope it worked because I have big races coming up and I could do well with this car.
Go to the reorder part of the web site. If your order is there it should have made it through. If you are unsure email [email protected] and they will sort you out, their customer support is very good.
qcrc and DavidNERODease like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.