Search
Like Tree17Likes

Convert 4WD to FWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 05:30 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Convert 4WD to FWD

Recently there is hype with FWD cars and many have already bought one to race and have fun. As, at the moment, I won't to purchase a FWD kit BUT I have 2 4WD that I don't use it. What can I do to make it competitive against the normal FWD cars?

I'll remove rear diff, add weight at the front as much as possible, anything else?
Old 09-18-2018, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

If you want to be competitive with other fwd cars then that is what you will need ... a fwd car, you will never get enough weight in the front with that 4wd
Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 AM
Shop Owner

well, yes that is obvious

Apart the two things I mentioned is there anything else I can do?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is where we get creative. Hah!

What car do you have? Several tamiya cars let you move the motor, and such forward in the chassis.

Use the biggest gear combination you can, to move the motor forward.

Use a small battery, mount it forward.

Move your ESC forward, mount it on the front bumper. Mount it on the steering servo. Move your reciever forward.

I think... that's most of what you could do. Without drilling holes, buying belts, and getting into month long ordering of parts.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I had a Yokomo BD7 that I briefly tried running as FWD. I swapped the spool and differential around so that the spool was in the back and the differential was in the front, removed the rear drive belt and gave it a go. I was attempting to run it primarily in a dusty parking garage, so it wasn't in the most ideal conditions. I had to put a lot of extra weight up front to make it somewhat possible to drive. I even tried running wider, VTA rear tires in the front with VTA front tires in the back. It wasn't pretty and still had a lot of understeer in the corners. I eventually gave up.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Tech Addict

You will have better luck and more fun making it RWD. Touring cars have a weight bias towards the rear by default due to the wing. I found it to be very fun to run RWD with my old Xray on carpet. I mounted the battery transverse and to the other side. I ran the same tires (sorex) front and rear with very soft springs.
moparSRT likes this.

Last edited by MatsNorway; 09-18-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

if you convert awesomatix A700 to fwd you will probably outperforms all FWD chassi on the market but its more a cheater car because you dont have the motor at the front like a real FF FWD chassi

Old 09-18-2018, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Quinny45
if you convert awesomatix A700 to fwd you will probably outperforms all FWD chassi on the market but its more a cheater car because you dont have the motor at the front like a real FF FWD chassi

I highly doubt that and would actually love to see that thing go up against a modern fwd chassis. Having the motor upfront actually work in favour of an fwd platform not against it in rc scale
moparSRT and gigaplex like this.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
This is where we get creative. Hah!

What car do you have? Several tamiya cars let you move the motor, and such forward in the chassis.

Use the biggest gear combination you can, to move the motor forward.

Use a small battery, mount it forward.

Move your ESC forward, mount it on the front bumper. Mount it on the steering servo. Move your reciever forward.

I think... that's most of what you could do. Without drilling holes, buying belts, and getting into month long ordering of parts.
I’ve finished a race or two with a broken rear belt. Basically running as FWD. I’d guess 2.5-3 seconds a lap slower. Acceleration was gone. Had to try to limit brake use as much as possible Now following your ideas. Diff to front, let rear just spin free. Lots of practice I’m sure it could work. It’s the being competitive part that I doubt.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Colbynobo
I had a Yokomo BD7 that I briefly tried running as FWD. I swapped the spool and differential around so that the spool was in the back and the differential was in the front, removed the rear drive belt and gave it a go. I was attempting to run it primarily in a dusty parking garage, so it wasn't in the most ideal conditions. I had to put a lot of extra weight up front to make it somewhat possible to drive. I even tried running wider, VTA rear tires in the front with VTA front tires in the back. It wasn't pretty and still had a lot of understeer in the corners. I eventually gave up.
Why would you leave the spool in the rear when disconnecting the rear belt? That'll cause some weird cornering issues.
MatsNorway likes this.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Quinny45
...but its more a cheater car because you dont have the motor at the front like a real FF FWD chassi
There are no real FWD with engine behind front axle?
I know only one racing prototype (not based on production car) with FWD - and it has engine behind front axle
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_GT-R_LM_Nismo
Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

There is a lot more car than just the Nissan lm prototype that has a front mid-engine aka behind the front axle. I used to own one aka the honda s2000 but there are many others.
Aston Martin Vanquish and V8 Vantage 2005, Chevrolet Corvette, Dodge Viper, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, Maserati Quattroporte, Mazda RX-7 and RX-8, Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, BMW Z4, Nissan 350Z

Last edited by Speed Chaser; 09-18-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
You will have better luck and more fun making it RWD. Touring cars have a weight bias towards the rear by default due to the wing. I found it to be very fun to run RWD with my old Xray on carpet. I mounted the battery transverse and to the other side. I ran the same tires (sorex) front and rear with very soft springs.
The wing merely counteracts the lift generated by the downward slope of the body shell's rear surface, whereas the body shell's front surface generates downforce naturally and doesn't need a wing. If you have an extremely aggressive rear wing, it might cause the car to generate slightly more net downforce in the rear, but it still won't change the car's center of rotation. The center of rotation is biased towards the rear of most touring cars because most of the heavy components are located on the rear half of the chassis.

- - -

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, unless they can move the motor ahead of the front diff and move the battery just behind the front diff, the car will never be competitive due to poor traction at the front wheels. Just for fun they could stack a bunch of lead weights ahead of the front diff to change the center of mass closer to what a dedicated FWD car has, but the extra weight will obviously make the car uncompetitive. So basically, if the car needs to be competitive, you have to buy a dedicated FWD chassis, or else fabricate your own custom motor mount and battery tie-downs. But if you just want to have a little more fun with a car you're bored with before you sell it, just stack a bunch of lead weights ahead of the front diff.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser
There is a lot more car than just the Nissan lm prototype that has a front mid-engine aka behind the front axle. I used to own one aka the honda s2000 but there are many others.
Since when is Honda S2000 FWD or racing prototype?
​​​​​​
it's true that MFF layout is not used nowadays, but in past there were many cars with this layout. Many models by Citroen an Renault, for example.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Papi
Since when is Honda S2000 FWD or racing prototype?
​​​​​​
it's true that MFF layout is not used nowadays, but in past there were many cars with this layout. Many models by Citroen an Renault, for example.
OH I miss understood your statement then since the Nissan prototype also power its rear wheels I thought you were including RWD cars to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.