Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 02:11 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you !
Old 07-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc
These are Awesomatix ballcups. For setup it needs more attention and time to use these, but in fact the triangle stops the suspension from unwanted bending. With the benefit that I can save a lot material on the arms while still having a strong suspension that will keep all the wanted angles under load.
Okay, I need to go take a look at Awesomatix's products now.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Due to ZooRacings large success as body manufacturer in R/C with its rather extreme shapes, I have to try their new GT-body. Shapewise it promises a better handling and better times. The look clearly shows tc-body features which takes away scale appearance. To achieve a nice race livery and to make life easy, I got a Tamiya decal sheet. The result is very satisfying:

I will try and compare it today at the track of Marktoberdorf.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Quick update from the saturday training before sundays race (tomorrow):

First: What a great track! A lot of corners, following very quick on another, partly with the need to combine them to one corner in the line. Also real curbs that can be touched only very slight. Otherwise they will unsettle the car. That is what F1 needs

I found a nice rhythm on the second run already. The setup changes I made, all worked very good. The car was great through every corner. I can go deep into it, turn fast and accelerate out good. The new Zoodiac body makes the car feel like it is pulled on a string. I like that very much. With old tires (the cloth already showed) I could do a 20.178s lap and many in between the 20.4s. I scrubbed in a brand new set for five laps and managed a 20.090s as my fastest time of the day. I ended up quickest of the day

Very satisfying, but tomorrow is another day. Rain is forecasted for the whole day. Chris prepared a rain car. I will just change tires, springs and rear diff. Last time my car worked well with the dry setup in the wet. Lets see how it will be this time
Old 07-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Kevin If I am correct, I would imagine the Dampener to be actuated / affect somewhat like this perhaps to convert linear into a rotary type motion.

Rudimentary drawing...

wtcc likes this.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 07-06-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

It seems like this rotary shock with a flap design would be the perfect platform to setup the dampers for a different damping ratio for compression and rebound. Something like the 3:1 ratio of real cars to control sprung versus unsprung weight.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the suggestions! I will prove it as soon as I find time to continue to draw the v3.

The race is over. It was all about weather chaos a lot of bad luck for Chris and a stubborn race director.
I realized tq easily. Always fastest by several seconds/run. The first qualifier was wet. I did what I could and then waited for Chris to run his laps to see how good/bad my run was. But Chris didn‘t start After the marshaling duty I checked and he told me his motor died when he turned the car on. Somehow water from an earlier practice run must have found a way into his motor and short circuit it when he touched the switch. So no first run for him.

The second qualifier was on a dry track. Again I did my run and waited for Chris to show his pace. This time he started. After some laps his car started to make bad noise whenever he braked for a corner. It got bad, but he finished the run. This time his spur died. Consequently he had a slower run than me.
It stayed dry for the last qualifier. I could improve by two seconds and had a fastest lap of 20.157s. Now with a repaired car and perfect conditions I watched Chris start. Again his car made the „spur gear killing noise“. Chris was furious, but had no choice but to continue. So I got the pole position on a plate. And Chris had a similar bad start like I had in Bad Gögging.

After the lunchbreak the clouds got darker and thicker. We managed the first final in the dry. Chris and I had a good start and left the field behind. I drove like a beginner after the first corners, missing apexes, going wide, all this bad driving. Chris used my out-of-rhythm-time got through and left me behind. I tried to pull myself together. Until I had a decent rhythm again, Chris was more than three seconds up the road. At that time we nearly had the same pace. I concentrated on myself. Somehow the car had lost pace. Nothing else to do, but to continue as fast as possible. After three minutes I could hear a body scrubbing on asphalt and then Chris rant to himself. He touched one of the high curbes and his car needed to be marshaled. I could slip through and suddenly had a two second lead. My confidence was back. Opening the presented gap was my target. I was dominating the dry yesterday, so why not today. Keeping the concentration high, again the noise of plastic on asphalt reached my ear. It was Chris again. Unlike his error free driving he showed up to now, he made a second mistake. The gap now was much to large to deny my win if I stay out of trouble. Still I was to proud to let him get closer, but I couldn’t avoid it. Chris charged and did the fastest lap of the final (20.234s). I tried everything, but could only manage a 20.3s. So much for my „domination“. Chris was back in the game. At least I won the first final...

Shortly after our run rain came heavy. With it wind and thunder. The race director didn‘t think of stopping the actual final. The marshals risked their lifes out there under the trees and with the thunder so close. Us drivers thought this is stupid and called everyone under the paddock roof. The race was delayed until thunder and rain stop said the race director. But it never stopped and half an hour later the racing continued in heavy rain with 10cm deep puddles. Two drivers went out to better their overall positions in the VTA class. The cars survived somehow.
Then our class should drive. I had my car prepared as good as possible. I wished the race to be aborted, but another driver wanted to run (not Chris by the way, the car that went up in smoke earlier today was his wet car). With a stubborn race director like this even a third final was possible. I wanted to win! So we went on track and couldn’t even finish one installation lap before getting stuck in the grass by trying to avoid one large puddle. I again asked the other driver if he really really wants to do this. He wanted and we started. He got through, drove into the big puddle and it was game over for his electronics. I crossed the line one more time to make sure I won and went back into the pit.

The weather didn’t improve at all and finally the race director accepted that cars are no boats and ended the race. I don‘t know what to say. I was very lucky to win this race, with Chris having so much bad luck, problems and making two of his seldom mistakes. I had another fresh set of tires if it would have stayed dry. It could have been a close fight for two more finals...

Last edited by wtcc; 07-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

What is the least fun in this hobby? Yes, cleaning the car

Right after the second A-final, I dried up the car as good as possible. I also was careful not tilt the car, to prevent water from going anywhere dangerous for the electronics. At home I removed esc and receiver, opened the cases and dried wet parts. Today I dismantled the whole car:

There was dirt everywhere. Especially the motor had accumulated sand and dirt. The rear ball bearing was stuck. Both came back to life after I washed them with a lot of brake cleaner. I never thought the motor would get this dirty. You should have seen the sensorboard

I found no damaged parts, just some drivetrain ball bearings needed to be replaced. The car is clean and setup again. Ready for the next race

Old 07-14-2019, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

I keep on with improving the concept. A lot changed to the previous assembly. The springs are now fully separated and moved towards the front of the car. Two benefits arise from that layout. First: More weight is put near the center line of the car, and second: The springs are Awesomatix parts and have a limited/defined amount of flex. Before, the location would have asked for more flex. Now the springs are positioned similar to the Awesomatix and should do their job.

With the layout change come several new drawn parts. The front droop plate mount not only holds the anti roll bar now, but also the springs. The front arm changed its look to make space for the spring. Also the damper housing was changed.

In the next step I will draw the connection between steering hub and spring to achieve a change in spring preload while cornering.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Here now my solution to reduce roll. The steering arm will change the spring preload. The inner side will reduce preload and therefore the ride height. The outter side will experience an increase in preload and ride height. Because of the Ackermann angles, the inner side will always experience a greater preload change than the outter side.

I would have liked to have no increase of preload for the outter side, but somehow haven't found an idea, yet. Also I am unsure if the leaf spring end should be supported both ways...
Nicadrauspro4 and G-rem like this.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

CAD pictures again today. I would guess some readers are getting bored... I don't want to hurry this version, haven't much time to draw in the last weeks and this concept is by far the most complex I have ever done. Again a lot changed compared to the previous post.

In front the droop screw insert was placed next to the spring preload arm. Therefore the arm and the preloadarm were redesigned. This change makes the access to the droop screw easier and reduces the bending/flexing forces on the arm caused by the spring.

More obvious changes happened at the rear. I (and my customers) always wanted to setup rear toe with turnbuckles and wanted to have active rear toe. On version 2 this was prevented by collisions with the rear swaybar and because of the tub chassis layout the turnbuckles for the rear would have become very short. This would have caused a nervous rear and was no satisfying solution. On version 3 the swaybar sits much lower. Still, the turnbuckle will be shorter than wanted, but nearly as long as the camber links and this is a length I can accept Like in front the droop screw insert switched to the spring side. With the active rear toe assembly this change was unavoidable, because there was no way to evade all the turnbuckles to reach the droop screw. I redesigned the arm and as there is no active preload change in the rear (I have an idea how to do it, though) a new spring retainer was drawn. The droop plate and top plate are new also. The latter not only got new space for the active rear toe turnbuckle, but grew in the rear to allow the installation of vertical body posts. I tried to do something with horizontal posts, but found no benefit for my car concept.

I am very happy how this concept constantly evolves. I still need to redesign the plastic spacers underneath the top plates. Especially in the rear to make for an easier motor change.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Any tests or design work on the diffuser?
Old 07-20-2019, 02:02 AM
Tech Champion

Very interesting idea with the steering angle changing the shock preload. But I think you could make a simpler system with a single link from one of the steering bellcranks connecting to a tiltable shock tower.

Alternately, you could connect the lower shock eyelets directly to the fronts of the steering hubs, instead of connecting them to the suspension arms. Then you wouldn't need any linkage system at all.

- - -

As for active toe on the rear axle, you can achieve that by simply designing a flexible rear suspension arm, so compression will twist the arm slightly. Then the front of the suspension arm will bend more than the rear of the suspension ar, shortening the length of the front of the suspension arm slightly compared to the rear of the suspension arm. This will result in the rear hub being toed-in slightly when the suspension is compressed when cornering.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 07-20-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Very interesting idea with the steering angle changing the shock preload. But I think you could make a simpler system with a single link from one of the steering bellcranks connecting to a tiltable shock tower.
??? There is no shock tower!
What you are quoting is Serpents DTS system for the 988.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry, I forgot you were using non-standard shocks with this system. That does make it more difficult to change the shock preload.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.