Like Tree123Likes

wtcc's TT-02 KR

Old 10-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Since I was curious myself I decided to look up the material properties on Shapeways. Attached are Professional Plastic (HP) and Versatile Plastic. The strength values are roughly comparable, but the impact strength of Versatile is higher. In general you want a material with high tensile values and toughness. You want strength and resistance to bending/ cracking.

Versatile Plastic

Professional Plastic - (HP)

G-rem likes this.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The past week was crazy. Somehow I got no freetime at all... Finally I can report how the first race with my TT-02 conversion went.

The car left a lasting impression, that is for sure! After I set the fastest time of the day on wednesday, I didn't touch the settings for sunday. I arrived early at the track for practise and trying to get into a rhythm (my weakness ). It went pretty good. The car had a little bit too much steering for my liking. The track got a lot more grip than wednesday. Alexander Stocker was really nice and gave me the Schottky Diode for my esc for free. With that I didn't had one interference the whole day.

For qualifying I was already assigned with the fastest drivers. And it was close. Of course Alexander showed his talent, by beeing not only two tenth faster than all of us (8.8s), but also a lot more consistent. He regularly lapped us twice. Behind him Michael Schulz, Joachim Altenhof and I were only seperated by a few tenth on every run. While my fastest laptimes were always faster than the rest of them (9.0s compared to 9.3s), my consistency was terrible. The curbs were forbidden territory, because one slight touch meant that the car rolled on its roof. This happened several times to me and ruined my qualifying. With a little more nerves the second grid position would have been possible. I had to settle for fourth (of 18 starters) instead. Still no reason to be unhappy. On pole was a ETS-A-finalist regular with a full tuned TT-02, a member of the club with his (full?) tuned TT-02 and one German champion (one guy even said he became European champion once). So that result seems to be ok for someone who didn't do a race and very seldom drove an RC car since April.

The races ressembled the qualifying with one exception: After getting involved in start crashes in all heats, I had to catch up from last place again and again. In the first raced I fought back to fourth place, then I became third in the second heat and last in the last heat because of the damage that was caused in corner one. Again in the first two heats my fastest times were the closest ones to Alexander (always two tenth behind). My final position was fourth overall.

So that was bittersweet, but with a sweet repercussion: I already sold three of my conversion sets for the TT-02. Which comes as a total surprise. After the race I had two potential customers, that both bought the conversion parts yesterday. Today a third one, bought the parts without having seen my car in real live. That is kind of cool
Old 10-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

What a beautiful TT02 you built there.
wtcc likes this.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Another intense day of testing is over. The next race will be held at my hometrack and so I went to Senden today.
All parts stay strong and show no sign of wear. Today my main goal was to improve the pace over a longrun of five minutes. I want a fast and easy to drive setup, that prevents mistakes from my side as much as possible.
At the start of the day I could match my fastest lap of the last training with a 11.6s. In comparison to the track of the MCC Crailsheim, the car had a lot of understeer. So I brought back all the steering I had to dial out last week. It still wasn't enough for me liking. In the process I worked with reduced camber in the rear, a little more camber in front and shock positions. The laptimes fell faster than expected. In one inconsitent run I managed the magic lap with 11.190s. For the rest of the day this time stayed untouched. I came close with several 11.2s laps in other runs, with the closest beeing 11.215s. In the last runs I settled for 27lap runs in 5 minutes. My fastest runs:
27L in 5:09.155
27L in 5:09.121

The setup is pretty solid and working quite well. What the car needs right now is a little more ease while beeing on the limit. It feels a little stuck and should welcome direction changes more easy and precise. Next time I will work with droop, rollcenter and springs.
To have a chance for the win at the coming round I definitly need to break into the 10.8s - 11.0s laptimes...
NutDriver likes this.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

While checking out your Corvette body I saw that the rear wing was pretty big(lots of drag)... Maybe a little trimming&polishing(the whole car) will reduce some drag and get you the last 0.4sec per lap needed...
Old 10-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Times seem to be very good then get worse little by little. Can you measure tire temp during a run? Need to know all four on the beginning, middle and end of the run to propose some things.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

That is a excellent idea. I will do that next time. Last saturday it was warmer than it will be in the next months. So your assumption could be right. If not, then I would accuse my batteries. They are in an advanced age now (1-2 years old) and seem to have a loss of performance already after some minutes. At least it feels like that...

@bertrandsv87: The wing of the Corvette is in comparison, to a normal touring car, low. It is hard to believe that the low Corvette body has a lot of drag. Finding four thenth will be a hard task. With setup, I hope to find two tenth, one tenth will be fresh tires and one tenth will be ???

After three days of practise and one race, every part of my conversion got optimized. The new sets I sold, already include new shocktower, new shocktowermounts, new bearing clamps, new anti-roll-bar mounts and new droop plates. All new as Xray would say.
Most changes are minimal. For example I placed the shocktower 1mm more to the center of the car to allow better access to the bearing clamp screws or I got rid of two shocktower screwholes. The droop plates grew to allow different brand arms with their different droop screw positions. Also the plates got stronger and bend less under load. They also fulfill another task: The front suspension mount is only attached with two screws from the front (or rear at the back). Under load it is possible that the mount tilts. Now the mount sits flush on top of the droop plate and has no chance of moving.

Today I approached a problem that first appeared in the last race (chrash) and now seems to get worse. The customized TT-02-bumper changes its position after every hit and affects the front suspension mount. It is attached to the car with the same screws that hold the front suspension mount and is motivated to slip out of the squeeze of the button head screw. In hindsight that way of attaching it was naive. Well now it disturbes my way of driving and working with the car, so I changed it. Again the multi-purpose-front-droop plate got a geometry adaption and can now carry the proven bumper assembly of my Xray T4.
The second change regards the rear shocktower. At first I wanted keep the bodypost position of the TT-02 to make it easier for Tamiya drivers with Tamiya bodies. But why? In the race in my class only two of 18 guys ran Tamiya bodies. And these were low silhouette (old Honda NSX). The rest of the pack ran PF Corvettes, GTs and Ferraris, HPI Nissan, Bittydesign Venom ... I just want a professional low look chassis. So the strange TT-02 post design and its narrow position got dismissed and replaced by (again) Xray T4 rear body posts and a low position on the outside of the shocks.

Now with all changes the car is pretty much on an advanced level of development. I am in the strange position that I want to have these parts on my car asap, while on the other hand I am too stingy to go for a full set of parts Well it will happen sooner or later
ShadowAu, MatsNorway and NutDriver like this.

Last edited by wtcc; 10-15-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Parts arrived
The first three lucky guys will soon build their own TT-02 KR.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wtcc View Post

Parts arrived
Where do you get your carbon parts from?

Regards,

Andy
Old 10-23-2018, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

G-rem likes this.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Parts arrived
Nice! I recently customized my own CF parts for the FF03. But seeing this just made me want to have my parts done by laser cutting. Just looks so clean and detailed.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

These parts were "just" milled, no Laser involved here.

Today I did some packaging and branding:

Unfortunately the sticker set didn't arrive in time...
Old 10-24-2018, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Very well presented. How much does one set cost? Can you PM me? I'm interested in this once I get a used TT-02.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

Wow, so nice! Really well thought out and made. Good job brother can't wait to see more in the future
Old 10-26-2018, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Thank you

It was a surprise to get my updated set so fast:

Originally I had planned to run my TC7.2 this weekend, but now I want to work on the TT-02 KR. The new plastic parts won‘t be here until next week, so I just installed the new droop plates and the front suspension mount. The front droop plate also holds the original Xray bumper. Unfortunately I mismeasured by 0.2mm around the front edge, so I had to make my fingers dirty. Also the Suspension mount has to much material on the lower side. I will need to correct this in CAD. In real life the abrasive paper did the job and now the mount sits flush with the plate

I am very happy with the design. The droop plates are much stronger and support the suspension mount. The bumper now won‘t interfere with the suspension and won‘t move in case of a crash.

For our ETS carpet track I made two versions of the rear suspension mount: One with 2.5 degree toe and one with 2.0 degree. This should free up the rear and make the car turn better for faster laptimes.

G-rem and DaSilva3525 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service