Like Tree318Likes

wtcc's TT-02 KR

Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Great job Kevin as always. Is anyone else running one of your KR conversion in the Kleinkram Series?
Old 06-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Woww it's an amazing article about the RC cars.
we really appreciate your hard work.
Thanks for sharing...
wtcc likes this.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Great job Kevin as always. Is anyone else running one of your KR conversion in the Kleinkram Series?
Yes. I sold it to four other drivers of whom two attend regularly. This time these two were not attending the race.
1/8 IC Fan and NutDriver like this.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

The current points standing:

Chris flys upwards through the ranks. I rebuild the gap to the second place driver. Overall the field got weaker in number of drivers with the higher temperatures...
Old 06-10-2019, 03:35 AM
Tech Master

You gonna hate me

I am currently working on a version three of my conversion. My bravest construction so far. I will take a lot of new ideas and implement them. If all these will function properly, I don't know, well in my my head they do

...and I will give you a blurry sneak peak that shows nothing, but you can guess what comes

It is still a lot of drawing to do, so don't expect updates soon.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The suspense is killing me
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

You are welcome

No, indeed, I am sorry for letting you wait so long. I just came back from China and couldn't draw at all. Additionally I came up with new ideas that changed a lot of my old concept. Getting it all right and source the parts for making it work is a real challenge. So I will need much more time than intended...

One little update are the caps I designed finally arrived. Somehow the first order was lost and they had to do it all again. I nearly cancelled, but now I am very happy with the result:

Big logo in front with two lines ("rubbing is racing" and "GT-Sport") on the sides and again "KR motorsport" embroidered on the backside. The cap is also very light with the rear half of the sphere being very thin fabric.
NutDriver likes this.
Old Today, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Lets start with the elements that will make the v3 special for me.

Lets begin with a new shock absorber system that is a key element and because of it several other "innovations" are possible. You guess it already, it will be a rotationdamper. I thought of traditional cylindric shape - 4 chamber system like that of Awesomatix first and also would have liked to use an already available shock body, but in the end I decided against it. I don't want to implement a Awesomatix suspension 1:1 and existing shock bodys would need a lot of very small internal parts with a small volume of oil as a result of it.
Instead I remembered the one chamber unit I drew some years ago for a spine car chassis that also included a kind of FRICS system. I never build one part of the car as at that time it was just impossible. In the research for rotation damper I discovered the small angle of movement that the Awesomatix rotationpiston has when the arm is moved. It looks like it only makes between 20-30 degrees. I always thought, that we want the piston move through more oil and/or fast, a long way. Obviously the A800 works perfectly with its suspension and wins race after race. I just recognized the small movement on some YT videos and started wondering (no critic here form my side). Maybe someone with experience can explain that to me.
Well, right now I plan my piston to move up to 60 degree on a full arm swing (downstop to running over a curb). Therefore I will separate damper and spring. Today I will show to you my damper unit. The pistonaxle pivotes between two ball bearings. Parts from other manufacturers are needed to seal the damper (Xray O-rings), I also use a Xray piston rod as well as the lower SLP damper O-ring-shim. To reduce the complexity of the housing, one ball bearing will be inside the damper swimming in the damper oil. The second bearing runs "dry" next to the small O-ring.
My rotation damper will be positioned along the tranverse axis (so 90 turned in comparison to the Awesomatix layout). That way I can connect the rod to the arm next to the c-hub to achieve more piston movement and a more direct reaction to smallest arm movements.

Here now the first pictures of the (unfinished) unit with one unit "assembled" and next to it a explosion view:

The comlexity of the car will grow a lot, as well as the possibility of me to have some major mistakes in my thinking. I would like to ask you to check for logic errors to prevent myself from throwing away money. Also factual critic is always welcome!
CristianTabush likes this.
Old Today, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

A few things. Corners are hard to seal. If you can make the internal volume of the flap "round" you can make the flap self centering and get better seals. Also, add a vertical resivour, to make bleeding easier, and a place for bubbles to sort out. A separate space for air, also will deal with temperature compensation, making it less likely there will be pressure build up, and eventually leaks.

... I should draw this.
Old Today, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The edges arent too hard to seal - look at how the rotary engine seals 90* Angles. not a perfect comparison, but you could seal the edges with silicone if you had a nice way of applying it in a perfectly straight manner. Maybe create a small dip that you can glue round silicone cord into?
Nerobro likes this.
Old Today, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts View Post
The edges arent too hard to seal - look at how the rotary engine seals 90* Angles. not a perfect comparison, but you could seal the edges with silicone if you had a nice way of applying it in a perfectly straight manner. Maybe create a small dip that you can glue round silicone cord into?
Maybe we have different ideas of what "hard to seal" is. Apex seals on rotaries are the most difficult part of those engines. The corner seals are complex, and have lots of parts. If you think that's "not to hard" I'd love to see what you think is hard.

This is an oil bath, so it doesn't need to be a "good" seal, but points are weaker than straight edges, and are less well supported. So the corners will be apt to bend an lead to less consistent damping. There's a lot to say about this, but a drawing would say the most.
Old Today, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

So, if you have a small "filler cap" on one side, any time the car is sitting still, all bubbles will rise to the top. if the passage between the two is small, turbulence in the damper won't suck bubbles down into the working volume. Between the two, you can have essentially maintenance free shocks, that are easy to build.

Self bleeding reservoir idea.

You're looking at a shock shaped seal anyway. Why not put it in the middle of the assembly, allowing you to have a non straight flap. The big advantage to a round flap, is you'll avoid corner strength issues. Also, misalignment should maintain the "more or less round" shape of the volume. Sealing the shaft side.. is of some concern, and may be why suzuki went with a double sided flap on their motorcycle dampers. Same for awesomatix.

Round flap to avoid corner problems
wtcc likes this.
Old Today, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Crucial suggestions from you guys! Thanks for the input.
@Nerobro: The last point is not clear for me. How is the round flap shaped? From the scribble I cannot follow the argument.
The bleeder is a nice idea. I thought of one to use later for the FRICS, but I am not totally convinced, because it will cause more problems, like a proper pressure proof seal at this tight space...
Nerobro likes this.
Old Today, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

That was the "at work" drawing. I'll do a much better one later. :-)

The "bleeder" doesn't need a seal. Give me until tomorrow.
Old Today, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The obvious question I have is - how are you keeping it all together?