Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1187Likes

wtcc's TT-02 KR

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Very nice, always great to see R/C racers pushing and advancing the limits of cars. BTW, Dasing, awesome that was my home track back in the day. Looks like the pit box area has changed and there are more covered Pits. Do you guys race foam 190mm TC there as well now?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don‘t know if there will be a foam class this year. But last year there still was one. The rules are constantly changing, but the foam class somehow survived. I was club champion and runner up in this class. Gregor is the reigning foam class champion as far as I know. When did you race there?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

I see, it was 89-95, 1:8 IC, Serpent Impact cup, Tamiya Eurocup and Pro-10. I would have liked to have run the Keil DTM at AMSC. I also ran some in Türkheim, Rötz, Bamberg and Sonneberg.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

This weekend will show if my car concept can deliver the performance I expect it to do.
In preparation I disassembled the car, cleaned and checked everything, rebuild shocks and differential and serviced all ball bearings.

This took a whole day. Sometimes I wish to have a mechanic just to prepare my car
Well the shocks and the diff are very smooth now, so I guess it was worth it.

Wish me luck
Old 04-25-2019, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Loving this thread, and loving the car. Keep the updates flowing, a pleasure to read!
Juan Aveytia, JoeyE, wtcc and 2 others like this.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

And now the race report from Erlangen

The weather forecast predicted a rainfilled weekend. Saturday I got up early to cover the 2.5 hours driving time to the track. Until half past twelve it stayed dry, but it was cloudy and cold. Chris and I sat together for this training day. We managed three runs until the rain stopped our quest for fast laptimes. On one run we changed cars. It showed, that Chris already had a very good setup. His car was benevolent and fast. Mine in comparison pointy and snappy. Later I discovered, that I set the rear ride height wrong and had a lose screw in the front suspension While the rain continued and prevented the track from drying, I used the time to correct these mistakes and to change the oil to 350cst. The temperatures on sunday were forecasted with 6-10 *C. I arrived early in the hotel and spent the rest of the day watching 1:1 racedrivers doing their job (ADAC GT-Masters and F1 qualifying).

On sunday I arrived early at the track. The rain didn’t stop and a wet track welcomed us. Now it was time to protect the electronics with a lexan tub and lots of tape. At least the expensive rain tires weren’t bough in vain. After some chaos and discussions with the organizer about the procedure, the first qualifier started at 9:30. My car behaved great in the rain. I had a lot of fun, could dominate the other drivers and was fastest overall. Now that the rain has stopped, the wet got less. I also dominated the second qualifier and was happy with the performance of the car in the wet. For the last qualifier we already had dry spots on the line. This made it very difficult to drive. I had several spins and couldn’t improve my time. The second group of my class (GT-Sport) had a nearly complete dry track for their run and so I lost my pole position to Marc (club member), because of his faster run.
Somehow I start to despise this qualifying rule. If there are three qualifiers and you won two, then shouldn’t you get the pole position instead of for example one guy who just attends one qualifier and then is faster...
Whatever, the starting position were marked with chalk with different distances to each other. My position two was on the inside to the first corner, meaning that I need to accelerate for two meters, then brake to make the apex on to the straight, while the third position guy could stay on the throttle...

I had a good reaction at the start to the first final and could pressure the pole man in turn two already and pulled up to his side in turn four. I slipped through and the drivers in position two and three started to battle. They also rubbed and I could pull away fast in the first five laps. Then I concentrated on finding a secure rhythm. It showed after some minutes, that I couldn’t pull away more. Nothing more happened and I won with ease, but with knowing, that the other two were as fast as I.

Their speed showed in the second final. My times were a tenth slower and on the second lap already I started to slip and slide. I had my hands full with the third place driver (Sascha), while Marc pulled away in front. After some minutes I could open a gap to Sascha, but never got near Marc again. So on the second run my tires already lost grip. I ran with Sorex 28 on a 20*C track. Sascha ran the Sorex rain tire and seemed to have more than enough grip.

This wasn‘t an option for the last final. The sun finally came out. The track temperature climbed to 26*C. I prepared one new set of Volante hybrid. I made a good start again and was all over Marc in turn two already. As hometown hero he stayed cool and didn’t miss one apex. With the tire additive slowly fading, my car developed snap oversteer in the corner middle and exit. Suddenly I had my hands full with my car. I was still very close to Marc with Sascha also in close pursuit. Marc was slow in one corner entry, I went up his side and we touched and ended in the grass. We both weren’t sure who was at fault. After being marshalled, we both waited for each other. Sascha in the meantime gained 5-6 seconds. Marc and I started the chase. I could follow for several laps with my problem, but spun several more times until the raceend. Later I discovered that the rear rims rubbed on the upper ballcups under load Volante rims are so much smaller than Sorex rims. I am very angry at myself for not having doublechecked this. This cost a possible win, as I did the fastest laptime with this set of tires (11.4s) and was faster than Marc, who in the end caught up with Sascha and even overtook him for his second final win.

In conclusion this was a difficult weekend. In the wet weather I didn’t want to drive my sunday racecar. So maybe I should build a wet race car to have fun on saturdays, too. My setup isn‘t good enough, yet. I still need more steering and a stable car on the exit. Over huge bumps and curbs, this car is great. The track in Erlangen is very very bumpy. With a little droop adjustment I never had to avoid these bumps, like other drivers needed to. Also, fast corners are dominant to drive and whenever I accelerate, it is visible that I have an advantage. Last I learned a lot about tires and temperatures.

For the upcoming weeks I want to work on the steering, turning and to get rid of the pointy behavior.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a great time - even if the win wasn't on the table. That's half the fun, to me anyway (especially going out of town), is just competing with the locals and having a chance to learn and improve. Last race I went to I gained over 4 laps from 1st Q to the Main... that was a good time.

Your car is looking great, and more importantly performing well. btw, that track looks AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.
wtcc likes this.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

WTCC you could try make a diffuser for it. And/Or.. you can make custom wing mounts to get more rear bias.

Last edited by MatsNorway; 04-29-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

I will let this idea sink in. Especially for the front I would like to generate more downforce through winglets. Not sure though if the rulebook allows attachment parts...

The new points standing is online:

walrusjon likes this.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

WTCC, have you considerred a 200mm iC style bumper, like we run on the NT1 or Serpent 750, without the foam, to utilize the underbody flow for front down force?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Impressive car. You should redesign the chassis, as it is the last part coming from the kit lol
Old 04-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Already before the race in Erlangen, I started to optimize the geometry of most of the parts. The car will lose some more weight. I reduced the thickness of the carbon plates and saved material through new forms. The wheelbase was 2mm longer than expected in the actual car and is now corrected to 257mm. The battery mount is new and the upper bumper brace got a new geometry. It will now direct the surplus of impact energy into the chassis, preventing a breakage of the droop plate.

My friends Michael and Eric are eagerly waiting for their V2 already
Nicadrauspro4 and walrusjon like this.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

WTCC, did you ever consider the Yokomo (YOKB9-SSS19 High Big Bore Short Shock Set) Shocks by chance? Just curious, and how do you like the ULP Shocks sofar?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

No, I didn‘t try them.
The ULP shocks are worthless without the short shock shaft tuning. With it they work flawless smooth and great. As you can read above, they even did a great job on the very bumpy track in Erlangen. Right now I am happy with what I have.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Cool deal. I saw that you did the shorter shock shaft mod. I had considered some to try. Thanks for the feedback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.