R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #166
Tech Master
 
XMSRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,013
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing
Default

I really have to ask something here... how in the world are you guys gearing these things to 6.5? I've got mine at 7.3 and it comes off the track pretty warm. Even the thought of jumping to 6.5 makes me smell burning motor without doing it! Are you guys running on outdoor, very flowing tracks? My track flows, but it still has a few turns that you need some grunt to get out of. I'd think 6.5 would just smoke a motor on my track.
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #167
Tech Master
 
XMSRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,013
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XMSRacing Send a message via Yahoo to XMSRacing
Default

BTW... I thought Trinity brushes sucked in this motor. 767's still seem best to me. My only thought is possibly the motor wants more gear with other brushes... but I dont think brushes are going to make a 3-4 tooth difference in my motor. (basing that off of you guys running at a 6.5)
XMSRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:00 PM   #168
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,187
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMSRacing
I really have to ask something here... how in the world are you guys gearing these things to 6.5? I've got mine at 7.3 and it comes off the track pretty warm. Even the thought of jumping to 6.5 makes me smell burning motor without doing it! Are you guys running on outdoor, very flowing tracks? My track flows, but it still has a few turns that you need some grunt to get out of. I'd think 6.5 would just smoke a motor on my track.
I ran a a 6.17 last week at B&B hobbies and its a nice flowing track and the motor came off the track at 132 degrees not bad at all
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:34 AM   #169
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ROAR HAD ME BANNED FROM RC TECH.
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
I really have to ask something here... how in the world are you guys gearing these things to 6.5? I've got mine at 7.3 and it comes off the track pretty warm. Even the thought of jumping to 6.5 makes me smell burning motor without doing it! Are you guys running on outdoor, very flowing tracks? My track flows, but it still has a few turns that you need some grunt to get out of. I'd think 6.5 would just smoke a motor on my track.
I race on a somewhat tight carpet track, and gear at 6.8-7.13 depending on the layout, if it's more flowing or tighter mid field.

The motor comes off hot, but not excessive. You have to carry a lot of speed through the turns though or it will tend to bog, but if your speed is right the motor helps you keep it much better.

Try it and see if the car is quicker, and just run it and check it every minute or two. If it gets too hot, or your car is slower, go back to where you were.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #170
Tech Fanatic
 
bukil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BenTooWrah
Posts: 998
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I ran a a 6.17 last week at B&B hobbies and its a nice flowing track and the motor came off the track at 132 degrees not bad at all
May I ask. What batteries do you use? How long does it last?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to gear my FT TC4 to 7.0. I'm afraid that my batteries (3300 matched) won't last throughout the race. Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #171
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy RE: Gearing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I ran a a 6.17 last week at B&B hobbies and its a nice flowing track and the motor came off the track at 132 degrees not bad at all
Just make sure you take the temp through the window of the can to get an inside the motor temp. It could be 40-50 degrees hotter on the inside!
Just my 2$
__________________
Tamiya Track Local. 10,000 Watts of power! ($5 donations for gas appreciated)
Proud Father of GT-1 Past Champion!"Hey, I got to go to Japan too!
FF03,TA-05V2 ,EVO-6,TA-07,TRF419W,EXOTEK-6
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #172
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking RE: Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil
May I ask. What batteries do you use? How long does it last?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to gear my FT TC4 to 7.0. I'm afraid that my batteries (3300 matched) won't last throughout the race. Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
One of the selling points of this motor was they were designed specifically for the higher MAH batteries. New 3300's will work but I would use at least 3600's and that way you wont have to worry about not lasting the full 5 minutes for a race!
__________________
Tamiya Track Local. 10,000 Watts of power! ($5 donations for gas appreciated)
Proud Father of GT-1 Past Champion!"Hey, I got to go to Japan too!
FF03,TA-05V2 ,EVO-6,TA-07,TRF419W,EXOTEK-6
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:17 AM   #173
Tech Adept
 
NOZ69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nowra (Sth Cst NSW) Australia
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil
May I ask. What batteries do you use? How long does it last?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to gear my FT TC4 to 7.0. I'm afraid that my batteries (3300 matched) won't last throughout the race. Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
I ran my CO27 Pro on the weekend in my FT TC4 at 6.0 (72/30) using matched IB3800`s & it came of cooler than my Monster at 6.9. Haven`t got a temp gun but I could hold my fingers on the can for about 30 secs. I tried to run at the lower gearing 6.4 to 6.9 & it just didn`t like it.

Had me second guessing for a while, wondering if i`ve over geared it but it`s fine & seems to be getting stronger.

Maybe it`s because we live "Down Under" but ALL the stock racers in our club seem to be in the low 6`s & even the high 5`s. The track changes meet to meet, over 2 netball courts one meet tight (Electric) next more open (Nitro`s)...go figer

Cheers
__________________
FT TC4, LRP TC Sphere, LRP X-11 13.5
SC10 4x4
M03M Suzuki Swift
Power by Feral
Sanwa MX-3 FHSS
NOZ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #174
Tech Fanatic
 
bukil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BenTooWrah
Posts: 998
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default Help!

I ran my CO27 Pro tweaked with a heatsink this past weekend in my FT TC4 geared at 7.2 (69/24) using matched 3300s. The motor came off hot!. I could only hold it for three secs! Was my motor undergeared or overgeared? Do I need 3800s?

I tq'ed the stock class. I was not able to run the A main because my motor won't spin unless I move one of the wheels then pull the trigger. Is my motor dead or does it only need to be rebuilt?

Our track here is located at Freedom Park in Camarillo, CA. It's not a fast flowing track. There is only one fair straightway then lots of turns. I hope this gives you (motor gurus) an idea on how I'm suppose to gear my car.

Thanks in advance,
Mark



Quote:
Originally Posted by NOZ69
I ran my CO27 Pro on the weekend in my FT TC4 at 6.0 (72/30) using matched IB3800`s & it came of cooler than my Monster at 6.9. Haven`t got a temp gun but I could hold my fingers on the can for about 30 secs. I tried to run at the lower gearing 6.4 to 6.9 & it just didn`t like it.

Had me second guessing for a while, wondering if i`ve over geared it but it`s fine & seems to be getting stronger.

Maybe it`s because we live "Down Under" but ALL the stock racers in our club seem to be in the low 6`s & even the high 5`s. The track changes meet to meet, over 2 netball courts one meet tight (Electric) next more open (Nitro`s)...go figer

Cheers
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #175
Tech Master
 
BlackKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northside San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil
I ran my CO27 Pro tweaked with a heatsink this past weekend in my FT TC4 geared at 7.2 (69/24) using matched 3300s. The motor came off hot!. I could only hold it for three secs! Was my motor undergeared or overgeared? Do I need 3800s?

I tq'ed the stock class. I was not able to run the A main because my motor won't spin unless I move one of the wheels then pull the trigger. Is my motor dead or does it only need to be rebuilt?
2 comments.....

1) I find (unmatched, 2 year old) 3300's suitable for use with the Cobalt.

2) You TQ'ed stock class yet you don't know what a hung brush means? All your motor needs is a re-build and it should be as good as new
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #176
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Adelaide..
Posts: 3,414
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil
Our track here is located at Freedom Park in Camarillo, CA. It's not a fast flowing track. There is only one fair straightway then lots of turns. I hope this gives you (motor gurus) an idea on how I'm suppose to gear my car.
The rule is simple, no need to be a 'motor guru' to suggest a ratio. Gear the motor so its hitting peak RPM at the end of the longest straight. You may adjust it slightly from there based on temperature if you feel it needs it.
__________________
;)
v0rtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #177
Tech Champion
 
John Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 8,925
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

We run the CO27 outdoors touring from 6.0 to 6.20 peak about 3/4 main straight away to still have great infeild power...
__________________
www.express-motorsports.net for all your motor needs
Multi time National Champions,Reedy Champs,Vegas Champs,Birds, Champs,[email protected]

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #178
Tech Fanatic
 
bukil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BenTooWrah
Posts: 998
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKat
2) You TQ'ed stock class yet you don't know what a hung brush means? All your motor needs is a re-build and it should be as good as new
Yes. I TQ'ed stock class. I was using brushless system before so I didn't care what those brushes mean and some other technicalities associated with it.

The track here does not have a brushless class so I had no choice but to go brushed mode. When I was racing, the car felt really slow. This is probably because I'm used to my brushless (5800 and 5.5R)so it was easy for me to drive.

Anyway, back to the gearing issue. Should I gear it to 7.0?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:52 AM   #179
Tech Fanatic
 
bukil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BenTooWrah
Posts: 998
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0rtex
The rule is simple, no need to be a 'motor guru' to suggest a ratio. Gear the motor so its hitting peak RPM at the end of the longest straight. You may adjust it slightly from there based on temperature if you feel it needs it.
Sorry for this noob question but how would I know if I hit the peak of my rpm?
I have only been racing for 6 mos.

Thanks,
Mark
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #180
Ike
Tech Master
 
Ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,131
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil
Sorry for this noob question but how would I know if I hit the peak of my rpm?
I have only been racing for 6 mos.

Thanks,
Mark
Just have to go by feel, you should be able to tell if the car is topping out or still accelerating at the end of the straight.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW EA CO27 PaintingRoly R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 03-21-2008 07:34 AM
RPM of Co27 at 7.2V ? LOSI123 Electric On-Road 4 09-10-2007 06:01 PM
CO27 Yub, yub, cmdr! Electric On-Road 8 07-10-2007 09:24 AM
2PL and CO27 rcstunt101 Australia Wanted to Buy 0 03-03-2007 04:48 PM
Co27 Lot xtreme rc speed R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 20 09-01-2006 07:07 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:24 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net