Battery C rating for 1/10 and 1/12 mod racing >

Battery C rating for 1/10 and 1/12 mod racing

Like Tree22Likes

Battery C rating for 1/10 and 1/12 mod racing

Old 08-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Battery C rating for 1/10 and 1/12 mod racing

Im recently back in racing and I still have my Gens Ace battery 65c, 120c burst rating (about 2 years old) they are working great for stock racing right now (USGT, 17.5).

My question is, will these batteries be okay for mod racing with a 3.5 turn brushless motor? I also have some 60c rated 1s batteries for my 1/12 pan car. I plan to run mod in that class as well with a similar turn motor. I run on an asphault outdoor track, lots of turns, with about a 120í straight away.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

The cells should be fine. Technically, the rating of most modern cells is greater than the solder tabs on the cells could actually cope with (there is so much "marketing" driving the ratings that I wouldn't read much into them).

If you had a really old pack rated at 20c it might be a concern.

One other thing to watch for is that the cells might have deteriorated after 2 years use, so if they feel soft on the track or lack capacity you might want to budget for a replacement.
Cichlid RC and ecgofast like this.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
The cells should be fine. Technically, the rating of most modern cells is greater than the solder tabs on the cells could actually cope with (there is so much "marketing" driving the ratings that I wouldn't read much into them).

If you had a really old pack rated at 20c it might be a concern.

One other thing to watch for is that the cells might have deteriorated after 2 years use, so if they feel soft on the track or lack capacity you might want to budget for a replacement.
Cool, thanks for the response. Cells are holding up fine so far, surprisingly!
Old 08-24-2018, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

i have the gens ace 5000mah 50c batteries as well as smc 7400 mah and 5400mah 90c batteries. With my hobby wing 3.5 turn in my associated tc4 the gens ace batter does not work. everytime i go full throttle the car will glitch like crazy and i will have to abort the run. This does not happen to my smc batteries on the 3.5 turn and this also does not happen to the gens ace battery as long as i use a 4.5 turn or slower motor. This leads me to believe that c ratings do matter and do mean something.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by riceball777 View Post
i have the gens ace 5000mah 50c batteries as well as smc 7400 mah and 5400mah 90c batteries. With my hobby wing 3.5 turn in my associated tc4 the gens ace batter does not work. everytime i go full throttle the car will glitch like crazy and i will have to abort the run. This does not happen to my smc batteries on the 3.5 turn and this also does not happen to the gens ace battery as long as i use a 4.5 turn or slower motor. This leads me to believe that c ratings do matter and do mean something.
Thanks for the response. Thats interesting. Ill have to see how the batteries perform.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by riceball777 View Post
In most mod 2.5t- 3.5t setups you'll need to turn off your esc's lipo voltage cutoff to stop that crazy glitching caused by the big voltage drop of most lipo packs. It will not hurt your gens ace lipos, but you will need to time your runs to six minutes or less in order not to overdischarge the pack...Personally, I've always turned all my LVC's off, no matter what turn motor I am using. Those glitches can cause a huge accident that will cost you more than a $50 lipo pack...
slodsm likes this.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

I think Mah is more important with modern batteries. For 12th, anyhow, we run 8000s...flatter discharge curve equals more power through race. I typically only burn 3500 in an 8min race...but that flat line keeps it consistent. C rating seems to be more important in stock and spec classes from what I see. Youíll have plenty of punch in mod...at least if you are beginning in the classes.

Never had had any trouble with the hobbyking nanotechnology ultimates...great batteries at great price. Now Iím on to EAM, an older LRP, and even a Lectron (in F1).
JoshuaRC10 likes this.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
In most mod 2.5t- 3.5t setups you'll need to turn off your esc's lipo voltage cutoff to stop that crazy glitching caused by the big voltage drop of most lipo packs. It will not hurt your gens ace lipos, but you will need to time your runs to six minutes or less in order not to overdischarge the pack...Personally, I've always turned all my LVC's off, no matter what turn motor I am using. Those glitches can cause a huge accident that will cost you more than a $50 lipo pack...
LVC doesn't cause glitching. If it's triggered, it just reduces power output to the motor. In fact, that'll reduce glitching since it prioritises voltage for the radio vs the motor.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
LVC doesn't cause glitching. If it's triggered, it just reduces power output to the motor. In fact, that'll reduce glitching since it prioritises voltage for the radio vs the motor.
You've admitted not ever running 2.5t/3.5t motors in your cars, so how would you know about the issue ??? Reducing motor output power or any other unwanted issues equals GLITCHING.... I also always plug a glitch buster capacitor to all my receivers, so my glitching had nothing to do with radio power loss. I was also using an external LVC cutoff with my original gtb 3.5t combo when the problems started: after disconnecting the external Lvc, everything went back to normal, and I won third place at the FBF mod race, when others DNF with their Lvc's on...My 3.5t only burned 2700mah from my 4200mah TP(40C) lipo battery. Come on, why even answer when you don't run these low turn motors???
King BERT equals 2.5t/3.5t expert !!!

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 08-25-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

You've admitted not ever running 2.5t/3.5t motors in your cars, so how would you know about the issue ??? Reducing motor output power or any other unwanted issues equals GLITCHING.... I also always plug a glitch buster capacitor to all my receivers, so my glitching had nothing to do with radio power loss. I was also using an external LVC cutoff with my original gtb 3.5t combo when the problems started: after disconnecting the external Lvc, everything went back to normal, and I won third place at the FBF mod race, when others DNF with their Lvc's on...My 3.5t only burned 2700mah from my 4200mah TP(40C) lipo battery. Come on, why even answer when you don't run these low turn motors???
I've had crappy batteries that triggered LVC with stock motors and I know how a proper ESC based LVC works (none of this crappy external LVC that nobody runs anymore). Reduced power from LVC isn't glitching. It doesn't stutter or behave unpredictably, you won't suddenly get the power back until you release the throttle and apply it again. However if the battery voltage runs low enough to trigger LVC and LVC is disabled, that can lead to radio brownouts which does lead to glitching. A capacitor won't save you there.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

I stopped using all lvc's(in&out), and never experienced this problem again at full throttle. At part throttle, there was no problem at all with the Lvc on... I guess the high current draw caused an issue somewhere for my rather weak 40C battery....
Old 08-25-2018, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

You basically have to turn off lvc for mod 12th...learned this the hard way...thought my batt was dumping esrly...and thatís even with. 6.5t.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:00 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cichlid RC View Post

Cool, thanks for the response. Cells are holding up fine so far, surprisingly!
What kind of internal resistance numbers are you seeing on the cells?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How are your experiences from a decade ago even slightly relevant to this topic?

jlfx car audio and gigaplex like this.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Tech Champion

Just the fact that I mastered the 2.5t/3.5t motors ten years ago with not so good batteries says alot !!! Imagine what I will be able to do on my Rc racing return in mid October at 360v2 !!! Wow.....Be there !!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.