Like Tree89Likes

Serpent F110 SF4

Old 12-17-2018, 01:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sbd View Post
Actually from downforce application perspective it is better to apply the force to the unsprung mass directly as the force does not go through the center spring. In PRO10 many times you need to use harder than you would like center spring to prevent rear of the plate ground contact in high speed. The question is how large is the downforce from our Formula rear wings.
On the positive site is the fact that the serpent design significantly, by about 10%, reduces the unsprung mass (Montech rear wing is 30g) which should be beneficial for handling.
On the conventional design you also do not apply the force directly to the axle. In fact you apply it significantly behind, so the sprung mass gets lifted up by the downforce.

For the unsprung mass effect: it is even larger than your estimation, as the pod pivots in the front, and the wing has a quite big leverage.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:01 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

The new Serpent looks pretty cool. Looking thru the manual, I guess you can buy one more bearing holder for those that want to run a spool (if symmetrical so the flanged bearing could fit on the other side??). (stock axle different diameter from one end to another).
Old 12-17-2018, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Yep, the car is even more impressive than I thought it would be. Like the 4x, there are so many innovations packed into the design. My racing experience has been very positive with the 4x Evo so far (my first Serpent) so this is extremely tempting now.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

sailfish likes this.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Glad there is a company like Serpent working on innovative ideas besides refining the tried and true formula that already exist
sailfish likes this.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

So who typically carries Serpent and parts here in the states? Besides Amain?

Looking likely I'll want to order one, along with the brass battery tray and some springs. As long as the 1/4" bearing holder is symetrical on both sides.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Serpent America.

https://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/home.php

I’ve bought 3 my Serpents off eBay sellers brand new. I’m still waiting for price to make my decision.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
So who typically carries Serpent and parts here in the states? Besides Amain?

Looking likely I'll want to order one, along with the brass battery tray and some springs. As long as the 1/4" bearing holder is symetrical on both sides.
Check Serpentamerica
and yes. You can use the left bearing holder on both sides for 1/4'' bearings
Dan likes this.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Mr. Ehrbar , here in Portugal the next season starting in march 2019 will be the first with F1 21.5t blinky, as i have experienced your 4x and 4x evo creations in previous nationals with an enormous pleasure of driving and also with some victory, last season Hugo Miguel was national champion with the 4x evo, and serpent was from far the best brand in the nationals, congratulations! So as tires are free choose what tires and body would you use for outdoor asphalt tracks some bumpy or dirty with temperatures between 23º and 35º C.? Could you post some setups for these? As it is the first contact with F1 we would appreciate your help very much. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Paulo Bártolo
Old 12-18-2018, 02:21 PM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by David_E View Post
On the conventional design you also do not apply the force directly to the axle. In fact you apply it significantly behind, so the sprung mass gets lifted up by the downforce.

For the unsprung mass effect: it is even larger than your estimation, as the pod pivots in the front, and the wing has a quite big leverage.

Yes the unsprung wing at that position will always create moment, be it from aerodynamic perspective or from inertia so it seems it is very undesirable position and sensitive to the wing weight. Hence the lighter wings work better. But the idea to minimize the unsprung weight is great and works. I have tested it on another car and the rear end stability purely due to its reduction signification improved. I am very curious to test the SF4 - looks amazing (albeit a bit fragile for some of the races I attend). I believe the price is right and I am looking to get my hand on one asap.
robk likes this.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Interesting

I like the design a lot. Please make an all black version without any orange... I like the old serpent purple wayyyyy better... Or all black.

Keep up the fantastic designs!

Alexander
Old 12-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sbd View Post
Yes the unsprung wing at that position will always create moment, be it from aerodynamic perspective or from inertia so it seems it is very undesirable position and sensitive to the wing weight. Hence the lighter wings work better. But the idea to minimize the unsprung weight is great and works. I have tested it on another car and the rear end stability purely due to its reduction signification improved. I am very curious to test the SF4 - looks amazing (albeit a bit fragile for some of the races I attend). I believe the price is right and I am looking to get my hand on one asap.
I'm looking for a new car and this has peaked my interest. The design looks nice, different and watching David race, the car looked on rails.

I'm still learning to drive and am looking for a durable car.
Can you expand on what you meant by the comment "a bit fragile"?

Thanks
Thanks
Old 12-18-2018, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Well, compared to a touring car, all F1 cars look fragile. I’ve been very suprised by what they can take. Though most will break something if hit on the right angle. For my Associated it’s was side pod links.

Where have you seen video of one running? I’ve not really looked, but would think any videos would have been linked to the thread.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

https://www.hobbymedia.net/3543/serpent-f110-sf4

Some more pics at the above link.

There are numerous vids out there of David Ehrbar with the SF4 at the ETS races and at the worlds. Always seemed like a very quick car.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Found it. I find it very difficult to form opinions on how cars drive when driven by pro drivers. They can make any car look amazing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service