Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By gigaplex
  • 1 Post By imprsme
  • 1 Post By jlfx car audio

Steering Control

Old 10-06-2018, 11:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Steering Control

Im one of those drivers that let go of the steering wheel after coming off a corner. Very bad habit i know.
Does anyone know how i can kick this habit to the curb. Most times it doesnt matter, but other times my car is a bit out of control. Also, to practice been more consistent with laps, am i better off reducing my throttle rignt down until i can handle that speed more consistent. Im no beginner, and i do ok when racing my Touring car. I just want to be a lot better and be up the front. I know the steering lets me down big time.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RcBasha
Im one of those drivers that let go of the steering wheel after coming off a corner. Very bad habit i know.
Does anyone know how i can kick this habit to the curb. Most times it doesnt matter, but other times my car is a bit out of control. Also, to practice been more consistent with laps, am i better off reducing my throttle rignt down until i can handle that speed more consistent. Im no beginner, and i do ok when racing my Touring car. I just want to be a lot better and be up the front. I know the steering lets me down big time.
Try using a rubber band or equivalent to hold your fingers to the wheel. It'll force you to get used to it until muscle memory kicks in.
As for throttle, you need to learn throttle control. Turning down your end points will just encourage you to drive will your trigger finger pegged. Try to be gentle with the throttle, gradually building up aggressiveness as your consistency improves.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Don't worry too much about it, 12 yrs on I still do it, everyone has their nuances, just focus on practicing, throttle control etc and being smooth through the corners. I wouldn't say it's caused me to lose a race anymore than my driver skill (or lack of) has.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for replies. It does make sense, now you say it. Throttle control will be key. I think more practice, more often will help.
12yrs and still letting go. Dont feel so bad now. Lol. I do believe its just a mind over matter thing..
Old 10-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Do what I do and just don't let go.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

maybe make the wheel looser so you have less of the urge to let go and have less strain on your fingers
Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Please from all of the other drivers on the stand learn to not let go of the wheel.

The sound of a “clicking” wheel snapping back into place during a race is just as bad as nails on a chalk board.

Lol

jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go drive a twitchy car.. something that will punish you for "driving badly".
Old 10-08-2018, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme
Please from all of the other drivers on the stand learn to not let go of the wheel.

The sound of a “clicking” wheel snapping back into place during a race is just as bad as nails on a chalk board.

Lol

omg yea i just want to scream every time i hear that ... i just want to CA there fingers to the wheel so bad!!
think about it like this ....In your real car do you let go of the wheel when your coming out of a corner ? yes we may let it spin thru our fingers while still applying pressure to guide it but if our steering wheels only turned 60deg in each dirrection we would never do that ...
as for training your mind to not let go ... soften the spring as much as possible to barely feel the center it will take a few days possible but you will get it , or atleast i did and still prefer the soft wheel so i dont actually feel the center but know its there if i was to let go by accident
KE4PJO likes this.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Think about it like this ....In your real car do you let go of the wheel when your coming out of a corner ? yes we may let it spin thru our fingers while still applying pressure to guide it but if our steering wheels only turned 60deg in each direction we would never do that ...
as for training your mind to not let go ... soften the spring as much as possible to barely feel the center it will take a few days possible but you will get it , or at least i did and still prefer the soft wheel so i don't actually feel the center but know its there if i was to let go by accident
YES,YES,​​​​​​​YES, ​​​​​​​YES,

Old 10-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It’s just a habit to break. There’s no one way to learn to stop doing it. Wasn’t fully letting it snap back to center, but did begin to notice there were times when I expected the steering to self center.

What I did for practice all last winter was to setup courses they didn’t have long straights. Lots of turns. Focused on steering and getting in and out of throttle.

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 10-08-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Haha, i let go and hear the BOING lol. I hate it. Loosening the wheel i will definately try. Also making up a track with a heap of corners should certainly help as well. Ive been trying to think of ways to fix my problem, and im sure this will work.
Thanks everyone